News Forum - New Covid-19 variants of Omicron “are more infectious”

Thaiger

Three new Omicron sub variants have the ability to spread Covid-19 faster and infect the lungs… this warning from the World Health Oraganisation, according to Ramathibodi Hospital’s Centre for Medical Genomics. The World Health Organisation and several scientists across the globe have been keeping track of the three sub-variants, including in the US and South Africa, for some time. BA.4, BA.5, and BA.2.12.1 are all sub-variants of the Omicron strain and ‘could’ cause more serious symptoms. South African scientists identified both BA.4 and BA.5 last month, and tests revealed that the new variants can infect people who had already had […]

The story New Covid-19 variants of Omicron “are more infectious” as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 1

Get ready for a huge dummy spit if a new variant  gets to Thailand and upsets Pnuts Endemic plans.

• Like 3

Please.... 

Would they maybe just, you know... 

SHUUUUT UUUUUUPPPP!!!!!

Why the fck do we still care about this. No one except the media is still trying to squeeze the last bit of fear out of Covid. Nobody gives a fck anymore. Move on to Russia, climate change or China, will you? 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

Please.... 

Would they maybe just, you know... 

SHUUUUT UUUUUUPPPP!!!!!

Why the fck do we still care about this. No one except the media is still trying to squeeze the last bit of fear out of Covid. Nobody gives a fck anymore. Move on to Russia, climate change or China, will you? 

You have it spot on here. Of course their are people and institutions who’s job and role it is to monitor such things. This is what they have been doing with other infectious diseases for years. However, it’s not in the general public interest to keep presenting articles like this. The one in the Bangkok Post today is utterly stupid in its presentation and especially so for the vast majority of its readers. Full of maybes and numbers and variants and nonsense to most.

The media are driving this along with a handful of “scientists” who have found new fame (no doubt fortune) and don’t want to let it go. They should get back to sewing elbow patches on their jackets, letting their hair grow fizzy and stick their face in a microscope. Leave the rest of us to get on with life. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Soidog said:

You have it spot on here. Of course their are people and institutions who’s job and role it is to monitor such things. This is what they have been doing with other infectious diseases for years. However, it’s not in the general public interest to keep presenting articles like this. The one in the Bangkok Post today is utterly stupid in its presentation and especially so for the vast majority of its readers. Full of maybes and numbers and variants and nonsense to most.

The media are driving this along with a handful of “scientists” who have found new fame (no doubt fortune) and don’t want to let it go. They should get back to sewing elbow patches on their jackets, letting their hair grow fizzy and stick their face in a microscope. Leave the rest of us to get on with life. 

Indeed! They have been doing this for years and are still going to do it for years. It's just now that it is in the news, so whatever mutation happens is panic. But mutations happen to every virus for idk how often. 

The bad thing is that the leaders here still have the mindset of Covid from 2020. So whenever they post anything like this, they already have their hand on the lockdown button😂😭

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ace035 said:

STFU, Thai media

STFU, all media. And post something funny or positive once in a while. Makes everybody's life a bit more happy! 

Here, I changed it, bcs it's not just the media here😂

3 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

STFU, all media. And post something funny or positive once in a while. Makes everybody's life a bit more happy! 

Here, I changed it, bcs it's not just the media here😂

Or else, Prayut & Anutin will be freaking out again and flip-flop to extend the Emergency Decree for another 2 months by reading that article.

• Haha 1

WHO has been needlessly fearmongering about this stuff since the beginning.  Their repeated cry wolf press releases mean NOTHING to me now.

Reading other sources and sure enough, there is no conclusive evidence this is any worse or more dangerous than previous variants.  Also, they say the vaccines still work preventing serious illness on these variants.  So once again WHO is trying to needlessly scare people by spreading falsehoods.

Edited by samiam123
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I live in reasonably civilised Melbourne Australia and we had 12 deaths and 12667 new cases from Corona Virus yesterday yet everyone is going around with no restrictions and no masks like they didn't have a care in the world.

I think you'd be foolish to not take heed of the WHO's warnings. This thing is not going away.

Edited by Wozzlegummich
  • Like 2

On 5/9/2022 at 2:48 PM, Thaiger said:

Three new Omicron sub variants have the ability to spread Covid-19 faster and infect the lungs… this warning from the World Health Oraganisation, according to Ramathibodi Hospital’s Centre for Medical Genomics. The World Health Organisation and several scientists across the globe have been keeping track of the three sub-variants, including in the US and South Africa, for some time. BA.4, BA.5, and BA.2.12.1 are all sub-variants of the Omicron strain and ‘could’ cause more serious symptoms. South African scientists identified both BA.4 and BA.5 last month, and tests revealed that the new variants can infect people who had already had […]

The story New Covid-19 variants of Omicron “are more infectious” as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

The world has moved forward with the pandemic and WHO is still stuck with their own mindset. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Soidog said:

One should always check the conflicts of interest of this "handful of scientists" that keep appearing in the "news" or speaking publicly (cause "journalists" very rarely seem to do that basic job for "some reason"). And then when you do, it is pratically always "surprise surprise..."... well not really for those searching for information rather than swallowing a now always accepted maintream narrative (that's getting more and more difficult), you get used to it. In fact, in the Western world at least, scientists should actually ALWAYS declare their conflicts of interest before talking publicly, it is the law! And if one has worked for or received money at some point or another, let's say from Pfizer for example, then that scientist should not talk publicly about a perticular subject if it is linked to pharmaceutical related products sold by Pfizer (nor advising a government by the way). It is called a conflict of interest and it is against the law. But strangely nobody seems to care...

5 minutes ago, Manu said:

One should always check the conflicts of interest of this "handful of scientists" that keep appearing in the "news" or speaking publicly (cause "journalists" very rarely seem to do that basic job for "some reason"). And then when you do, it is pratically always "surprise surprise..."... well not really for those searching for information rather than swallowing a now always accepted maintream narrative (that's getting more and more difficult), you get used to it. In fact, in the Western world at least, scientists should actually ALWAYS declare their conflicts of interest before talking publicly, it is the law! And if one has worked for or received money at some point or another, let's say from Pfizer for example, then that scientist should not talk publicly about a perticular subject if it is linked to pharmaceutical related products sold by Pfizer (nor advising a government by the way). It is called a conflict of interest and it is against the law. But strangely nobody seems to care...

You raise an interesting question about “Conflict of interest”.  Is this a principle that would even be understood and enshrined in any laws in Thailand? From the conversations I’ve had with Thai friends on such matters, they often look bewildered and confused. Usually accompanied by comments like “Why not, their job they can make money”…. 

21 hours ago, Manu said:

Seems that for anything the WHO publish there is a raft of conspiracy theorists ready to jump on it with there unproved accusations. Maybe the conspiracy theorists are "on the take" from big pharma so the epidemic takes hold and they sell more vaccines.

50 minutes ago, Wozzlegummich said:

Seems that for anything the WHO publish there is a raft of conspiracy theorists ready to jump on it with there unproved accusations. Maybe the conspiracy theorists are "on the take" from big pharma so the epidemic takes hold and they sell more vaccines.

"unproved accusations" and then "conspiracy theorists" and 0 argument: the usual. I was talking about conflict of interests and the law in general - no mention of that from you although it was the subject of my comment: so you think it does not exist, you do not know it exists or you deni it exists? Corruption exists since humanity exists.

Now there are plenty of studies, articles and reports published all over the world in outlets, sources or journals that I am sure even you cannot classify them as "conspiracy theorists" about conflicts of interest (and corruption) in science if you bother to inform yourself. Scientists by law (and ethic by the way) should declare all links of interests with private companies before they talk publicly, it is the law. And when scientists work or have worked for a pharmaceutical company at some point or another, then they should not speak publicly about a subject if this subject is linked to products sold by this company otherwise it becomes a conflict of interest and it is against the law. In your country too so perhaps you should check this out, it is available to the public, don't worry, you will not become a "conspiracy theorists" if you just do so...

Finally, since I took Pfizer as an example but it works for all of them, this company has been found guilty of a crime 75 times since 2000 in the US alone (and that's only when they got caught) and paid over 10 billion dollars in fines (since it is a drop in the ocean comparing to their profits, it seems crime pays off indeed for some). The offenses vary: False Claims Act and related, kickbacks and bribery (who benefited of those briberies you think??), off-label or unapproved promotion of medical products, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, consumer protection violation and much more. Once you know all that cause they are facts, if you believe that you should take everything any scientist says for granted without even checking a bit of their background, then, apart from being very badly informed, you are very naive.

https://violationtracker.goodjobsfirst.org/parent/pfizer

• Like 2

Just now, Manu said:

Now there are plenty of studies, articles and reports published all over the world in outlets, sources or journals

And these are?

22 hours ago, Soidog said:

You raise an interesting question about “Conflict of interest”.  Is this a principle that would even be understood and enshrined in any laws in Thailand? From the conversations I’ve had with Thai friends on such matters, they often look bewildered and confused. Usually accompanied by comments like “Why not, their job they can make money”…. 

Well I really do not know if it is the law here but it should as ethic in science is universal. What I know for a fact is that at least 2 of the ones talking constantly in public about covid and vaccines in Thailand for the past 2 years have loads of links of interests with 2 of the major companies producing the current covid vaccines, so their links of interests become automatically conflicts of interest by ethic if not by law (but that has been happening all over the world, and I only learned that by listening many scientists (I guess the ones with no conflicts of interests) being alarmed and raising that question. I did once comment after one of them spoke and it was published in a Thaiger article, but all I got as response was the usual "conspiracy theorist" crap so I won't bother to try to find this. People do not know (usually the ones coming up with 1 or 2 sentences with the magic words "conspiracy theorists") or do not care, that's the world we live in.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Wozzlegummich said:

And these are?

Do some work, 5mn on google should satisfy you. I will not waste any of my time for someone who has only the 2 words conspiracy theorists as argument. This is too stupid...