News Forum - Thailand won’t take sides in Russia – Ukraine war, says PM Prayut

Thaiger

On 5/9/2022 at 4:57 PM, CamPat said:

To my knowledge Thailand has done pretty well and was never occupied by any Western or Russian, Japanese or Korean forces in modern history. Thailand had it's share of regional conflicts with the Khmer Empire, Burmese Invaders etc. 

The regional conflicts you named were far before Japan invaded Thailand in World War II. World War II is not considered modern history anymore? 

So everybody has to choose a side? That “logic” is how regional conflicts become world wars. imo, Thailand is doing the right thing by sitting on the fence. The Thai Armed Forces are not exactly gearing up to conduct a “special operation” in Burma so expecting them to give a hoot about what farangs are doing somewhere in Europe is wishful thinking. 

• Like 1

Everybody choosing a side is how wars are prevented....

WW2 started cause no one stopped Germany from taking out their neighbors.

It got worse until eventually sides were chosen and the dictator was removed.

No different than what Russia is doing now.

Russia took Crimea, then the Donbass and now they want more and they will keep wanting more till sides are chosen and they are stopped.

Which is what is happening now....

Today Finland announced a joint security pack with a NATO member. Which essentially means if they get attacked, then UK is in then all of NATO...

Why did Finland do this to Russia?

Finlands leader said, "you caused this - look in the mirror"....

Thailand does not have to choose sides though as they are far away from the conflict.  But democratic countries are watching and they know which countries support Russia. And peoples buying habits are changing. I recently bought some electronics specifically from Taiwan as opposed to cheaper electronics from China as I no longer wish to support a country who is aligned with Russia. It was a small $200 purchase but more and more are looking where stuff is manufactured and refuse to buy goods made from China and even India I am now eliminating. These countries and Thailand for that matter, need to "look in the mirror"....

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Poop said:

Today Finland announced a joint security pack with a NATO member. Which essentially means if they get attacked, then UK is in then all of NATO...

Didn’t the UK do the same with Sweden yesterday? The security pack with Finland and Sweden is a clear sign they are going to announce joining NATO with a a couple of weeks. While NATO promised to approve quickly, the two countries were still a little worried about the time in between. Now they don’t have that issue. 

48 minutes ago, Poop said:

And peoples buying habits are changing. I recently bought some electronics specifically from Taiwan as opposed to cheaper electronics from China as I no longer wish to support a country who is aligned with Russia.

This is a point that is rarely brought up, but is larger than people might think. While the sanctions on Russia are huge, most of them didn’t preclude individual companies from dealing with Russia. However companies left Russia by the droves all on their own. In many ways this caused even more damage to the Russian economy than the government sanctions. When they leave they take their goods, investment and technology transfers. Those companies don’t want to be associated with Russian and the war, as they can’t afford losing their customers. It’s never happen in modern times on a scale like this before. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Poop said:

Everybody choosing a side is how wars are prevented....

A bit late for that now isn’t it? Unless you subscribe to the belief that Russia, population 144 million and struggling to take even 1/3 of Ukraine, intends to go for a casual meander through Europe and end up gazing wistfully at the White Cliffs of Dover. Ludicrous. 

Back on topic which is Thailand not taking sides in a European war. The same Thailand whose war time economy specialized in sushi production in the 1940’s. The same Thailand that watched Pol Pot do his thing. The same Thailand that swaps tips on good governance with the jolly junta jokers in Burma. And some people expect Thailand to condemn an invasion from a country that has brings tourists to Thailand. Ludicrous or wishful thinking ? You decide.

I honestly do not think he has a clue what debauchery is....

But he sure is funny, lol.

I love it when the Russian trolls try to speak English. Such entertainment!

Well it is the deep end of the pool, a vocabulary is needed I know its a big word.

Edited by cake
spelling

Note from the Moderators

Members, far too many posts have had to be removed in this thread for being off topic, including unsupported facts or inferences or for simply seeking to inflame the situation. This is not acceptable in any thread but even less so in one of the news forum threads.

As a starting point, let's see if we can improve the quality of our posts and align them to the topic under discussion, which is "News Forum - Thailand won’t take sides in Russia – Ukraine war, says PM Prayut".

I for one would like to read member's comments on this and not the same that is being repeated time and again, in multiple threads.

Thanks

• Like 1

At the End of the day, even a small thing like the Thai government allowing Aircraft to land on its soil is supporting Russia's economy and aiding Putin's War. Most countries have banned Russian Aircraft from landing and flying over their Airspace but not Thailand.

Thailand needs to realize that people around the world are watching what is happening and they are taking sides. I for one refuse to visit certain parts of Thailand that either has a lot of Chinese or Russian tourists when I visit. It is not that they are not good people it is just that I do not support their government nor how their government manipulates the media to control how these people think. When I go on holidays I want to socialize with someone who is an open-minded thinker who appreciates freedom and liberty. 

Certain parts of Thailand I refuse to go to anymore... I call it a protest where my money goes where my values are represented. Thais need to understand that aligning yourself with war criminal countries is not going to have a long term benefit... 

On 5/9/2022 at 2:43 PM, Poolie said:

You either accept it or you dont. Suit yourself. America wont sort it. Who's the coward?

The answer to that question is China. China is always the coward when it comes to military conflict they have a long history of it. What exactly is China doing to try and solve the conflict? Please mister wumao enlighten us on what your wonderful Winnie the Pooh is doing to get the Russians to pull out of the Ukraine.