Land Borders with Lao to open tomorrow (May 9th)

Tod-Daniels

https://laotiantimes.com/2022/05/07/laos-drops-testing-for-vaccinated-tourists-announces-full-reopening/

ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS
The land borders with Lao will open for entry to that country tomorrow May 9th.
They have already been open for exit from Lao and entry to thailand for a good while now

Sorry tried a couple times to insert that link to the Laotian Times, and failed each and every time

Edited by Tod-Daniels
  • Thanks 1

Also as it was before ONLY the thai consulate in Savannakhet issues the year long, multi-entry Non-O visas (based on marriage or raising half thai children), Vientiane will only issue 90 day single entry ones.
There is no appointment system for Savannakhet it's walk up service like always.

Ah ha. So now we would figure to know why Anutin is pushing to drop the requirements for the Thai coming in. 

59 minutes ago, Tod-Daniels said:

There is no appointment system for Savannakhet it's walk up service like always.

The Royal Thai Consulate in Savannakhet is still closed to the best of my knowledge.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Faz said:

The Royal Thai Consulate in Savannakhet is still closed to the best of my knowledge.

which doesn't negate the fact that there is no appointment system for that consulate 😉
I just sent them a message on f/b (as it does show temporarily closed in google) but I'll call them tomorrow and see just to be sure and will report back
here's their number if anyone else wants to give 'em a call (856-41) 212-373

31 minutes ago, Tod-Daniels said:

I just sent them a message on f/b (as it does show temporarily closed in google) but I'll call them tomorrow and see just to be sure and will report back

Appreciate confirmation they're open for business as usual.

I notice only the single entry (90 day) Non O is being offered for the purpose of visiting Thai spouse now. The ME isn't listed.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Faz said:

Appreciate confirmation they're open for business as usual.

I notice only the single entry (90 day) Non O is being offered for the purpose of visiting Thai spouse now. The ME isn't listed.

They NEVER listed the year-long, multi-entry Non-O on their website before you write it on the application and make sure you pay 5000baht when you turn in the app and pay

Just got this from messenger from their f/b page 

เราไม่เคยปิดทำการค่ะ <- we never did close our service

สิ่งที่ปิดคือด่านค่ะ <- the thing that closed was the border

• Like 1

If someone does the old Laos journey to Savannakhet . How do they go about getting in and out on a border run to Thailand with a 1 year ME visa. I used to do the trip in 2, 3 days max. I preferred that process as I always hating dealing with immigration. Will you need to arrive there, then apply for Thailand Pass , therefore having to be stuck for at least 7 days if not longer, and also will need to show proof of covid insurance and maybe have to take a PCR test 72 hours before as well? That becomes very expensive.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Tod-Daniels said:

here's their number if anyone else wants to give 'em a call (856-41) 212-373

The number is 001 856 041 212 373.

They do indeed still issue the Non Imm O ME Visa for Thai spouse/family.
I just called them.

• Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

On 5/8/2022 at 8:47 PM, Sean007 said:

If someone does the old Laos journey to Savannakhet . How do they go about getting in and out on a border run to Thailand with a 1 year ME visa. I used to do the trip in 2, 3 days max. I preferred that process as I always hating dealing with immigration. Will you need to arrive there, then apply for Thailand Pass , therefore having to be stuck for at least 7 days if not longer, and also will need to show proof of covid insurance and maybe have to take a PCR test 72 hours before as well? That becomes very expensive.

You can apply for the thai pass before you even LEAVE thailand to go to savannakhet, and the approval on them now is almost instantaneous so you shouldn't be "trapped" waiting for it to be approved while you're in Lao.
Alas it is what it is, and until they do away with the thai pass (which they won't for a while because it's the ONLY thing that is making people actually get real covid insurance right now) you're stuck 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for both responses.  I will make that trip if I don't get one more covid extension on Monday visit to immigration. Cheers.

ATTENTION MEMBERS
The Chong Mek/Vangtao border with Lao in Ubon Ratchathani opens tomorrow (Monday the 23rd)

• Thanks 1

On 5/12/2022 at 5:19 PM, Tod-Daniels said:

You can apply for the thai pass before you even LEAVE thailand to go to savannakhet, and the approval on them now is almost instantaneous so you shouldn't be "trapped" waiting for it to be approved while you're in Lao.
Alas it is what it is, and until they do away with the thai pass (which they won't for a while because it's the ONLY thing that is making people actually get real covid insurance right now) you're stuck 

The TP might be removed July 1. Let's not speculate on it any further because we won't know until June 17, which is when the next big CCSA meeting is held, but I'm going by recent news reports on the matter. I don't think it will remain in place beyond July 1.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Highlandman said:

The TP might be removed July 1.

We're a LONG way from July 1st 😉
AT this time the only thing we're sure of is that June 1st thaiz don't need a thai pass to get in