News Forum - South African woman jailed in Thailand gets to speak to mother

Thaiger

A young South African woman sentenced for life in a Thai prison has finally gotten to speak to her mother after nearly 3 months of being quarantined. 23 year old Ashley Oosthuizen was sentenced after she allegedly accepted a package of MDMA at the Koh Samui restaurant Hot in the Biscuit in late-2020. Ashley had worked as a kindegarden teacher on Koh Samui, and was known as a friendly face on the island. She was later laid off, and it was difficult to find a full-time job offering a work permit. She met her then boyfriend, American expat Tristan Nettles, […]

The story South African woman jailed in Thailand gets to speak to mother as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

If only he wasnt a self confessed drug dealer who stitched her up like a kipper none of this would have happened.

If you care so much fella leave the Ukraine surrender yourself to the Thai Authorities and get her out that way instead of letting her take the heat for your (self confessed) crimes.

Meanwhile your loving it in the ukraine while she shares a bathroom in a prison with 67 other people

frankly he's an idiot.

She should have left and gotten  a job elsewhere cos he had no chance of getting her a work permit with that job description legally.

Edited by alex12345
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

young South African woman sentenced for life in a Thai prison has finally gotten to speak to her mother after nearly 3 months of being quarantined

Quarantined for 3 months…. Really? Covid quarantine is generally 2 weeks then back into general population. All prisons were closed to visitors however LINE video calls. provided at no cost, are available twice a week for all inmates. 

she allegedly accepted a package of MDMA

She didn’t allegedly accept it. She did accept it, plead guilty to it and had numerous similar packages containing traces of MDMA in her room. She was a dealer involved in international drug smuggling. Very, very naughty. She is not an innocent doe eyed princess.

did this by using the help of a fellow math teacher there who provided me with all of my bitcoin (name redacted) who still works at the same school. We did this for tens of millions of baht.

Tristan Nettles can blow a dead puppy. What good does grassing up his alleged former partner in crime who is still in Thailand do? And fighting for Ukraine? that liar should go bayonet a tank.

Miss Sweet Meat is done and dusted. Harsh but true. She’ll be eligible for a transfer to South Africa after 8 years served and will most likely released there soon after.

• Like 5

I did notice on one of those other websites

"She was however laid off (from her school) due to a dispute about her qualifications" in other words she had a fake degree or her university wasn't recognized. Would be interesting to know what that dispute was about. Maybe the thai authorities know and saw it as a sign of dishonesty

However he's admitted he was the guilty one so he should go to jail for it

Edited by alex12345

The pic and story did me in until someone mentioned evidence of this substance all over her apt! Anyway, its Sad! Especially for family members, not so much for her.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fanta said:

She didn’t allegedly accept it. She did accept it, plead guilty to it and had numerous similar packages containing traces of MDMA in her room. She was a dealer involved in international drug smuggling.

It's hard to find facts, isn't it?

Apart from signing for the package, the only hint of (attributable) incriminating evidence I could find was an article in www.stickboybkk.com that quotes a named official as saying "We found another four parcel boxes that looked like the one we found packed with drugs at her bar." In the preface there, the quote had evolved into the stronger claim that four boxes with MDMA were found in Ashley’s room (no longer as a quote). Over here, it has now made it to "numerous similar packages containing traces of MDMA in her room".

Funny fact: there's a written confession (obviously in Thai and said [below] to have been signed under duress and in absence of a lawyer) that admits to hiding packages under stones in a park. It got picked up almost immediately in a forum, but in that small jump it had already become the claim that she was seen hiding packages under stones whilst under surveillance (now; that would be strong evidence indeed!)

For another point of view for this case, there's a (sort of) affidavit written by Tristan Nettles. It's lengthy and messy but manages to give a plausible explanation for the packages and means of distribution.

I'm amazed by how sure outsiders can be with so few and shaky facts (both sides)…

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Chatogaster said:

It's hard to find facts, isn't it?

Apart from signing for the package, the only hint of (attributable) incriminating evidence I could find was an article in www.stickboybkk.com that quotes a named official as saying "We found another four parcel boxes that looked like the one we found packed with drugs at her bar." In the preface there, the quote had evolved into the stronger claim that four boxes with MDMA were found in Ashley’s room (no longer as a quote). Over here, it has now made it to "numerous similar packages containing traces of MDMA in her room".

Funny fact: there's a written confession (obviously in Thai and said [below] to have been signed under duress and in absence of a lawyer) that admits to hiding packages under stones in a park. It got picked up almost immediately in a forum, but in that small jump it had already become the claim that she was seen hiding packages under stones whilst under surveillance (now; that would be strong evidence indeed!)

For another point of view for this case, there's a (sort of) affidavit written by Tristan Nettles. It's lengthy and messy but manages to give a plausible explanation for the packages and means of distribution.

I'm amazed by how sure outsiders can be with so few and shaky facts (both sides)…

Any confession submitted as evidence into a Thai Court must be written in Thai. Signatures do not require the presence of a lawyer. That’s Thai law. If drugs are found in my house, even in my tenants room, I am responsible and will be prosecuted UNLESS my tenant takes the rap. If Tristan Nettles was serious he would return to Thailand, take the rap and she would go free. He hasn’t and this reeks of a pointless attempt to garner public sympathy for a lost cause. If she wasn’t a pretty white girl would it be in the news? Would you even give a toss? If it was up to me she’d get deported. It is not. This is Thailand. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Fanta said:

If Tristan Nettles was serious he would return to Thailand, take the rap and she would go free.

Well we know that isn’t happening. In Ukraine? Wow I guess if you are going to lie, might as well make it big. However you point is still correct. There is no way to know if he is telling the truth or lying at this point. It’s easy to claim guilt to ease your soul or even to just garner attention when there is no chance of repercussion. 

10 minutes ago, Fanta said:

If she wasn’t a pretty white girl would it be in the news? Would you even give a toss?

While true, it’s not really fair to hold that against her either. Still it does make the story more interesting and sad at the same time.

I can see an episode of “locked up abroad” in her future. Actually reminds me of one I saw last month about a similar case of a girl in India. Didn’t end well for her either. Eight years is a long time, she won’t be nearly as pretty when she finally does get out.  

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

6 hours ago, Fanta said:

She didn’t allegedly accept it. She did accept it, plead guilty to it and had numerous similar packages containing traces of MDMA in her room. She was a dealer involved in international drug smuggling. Very, very naughty. She is not an innocent doe eyed princess

Oh you know this for a fact do you? Someone delivers a package to her house for her boyfriend and she signs for it.

Well there we go. Sherlock you have cracked the case. These master criminals must live in fear of your investigative skills. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EdwardV said:

Well we know that isn’t happening. In Ukraine? Wow I guess if you are going to lie, might as well make it big. However you point is still correct. There is no way to know if he is telling the truth or lying at this point. It’s easy to claim guilt to ease your soul or even to just garner attention when there is no chance of repercussion. 

While true, it’s not really fair to hold that against her either. Still it does make the story more interesting and sad at the same time.

I can see an episode of “locked up abroad” in her future. Actually reminds me of one I saw last month about a similar case of a girl in India. Didn’t end well for her either. Eight years is a long time, she won’t be nearly as pretty when she finally does get out.  

What is this story? She didn’t talk to her mother for 3 months. That’s it. Everything in that article is old news. Maybe this type of press will help her but I cannot see how. I have sympathy for her and wish her the best. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, koute said:

beautiful girl with dead eyes

the majority of thai girls ive met

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, PapayaBokBok said:

Dead beautiful or dead from the work?

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

If she knew nothing of what she was just routinely signing for at a place of business where is the intent? You can’t have a crime without intent - especially one with a life sentence attached. From the facts this seems to be a grave miscarriage of justice and human rights. Of course the other side of the coin is she did mix herself up with a known drug dealer in a country that is harsh on such people and that was pretty stupid. But life in prison? C’mon man! 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BillO said:

If she knew nothing of what she was just routinely signing for at a place of business where is the intent? You can’t have a crime without intent - especially one with a life sentence attached. From the facts this seems to be a grave miscarriage of justice and human rights. Of course the other side of the coin is she did mix herself up with a known drug dealer in a country that is harsh on such people and that was pretty stupid. But life in prison? C’mon man! 

This is Thailand. Don’t need to prove intent. Possession and smuggling 260 grams is typically a death sentence reduced to life after a Guilty plea. Don’t accept packages for people you don’t know… Do you think the cops didn’t know about the douchebag boyfriends activities? 

https://www.thesouthafrican.com/news/breaking-ashley-oosthuizen-family-distances-itself-from-crowdfunding-website-set-up-by-boyfriend-19-february-2022/

ps: there is no extradition treaty between Thailand and South Africa so she’ll do 10-15 years.

• Like 1

Wow yet again it is amazing to see all the Sherlock Holmes's on this site who can analyse the whole situation based on what they have read on this site from the contributions made by other Sherlocks. 😃

That is my two penny's worth of contribution, it is not worth much but not any less than any other of the guesswork comments.

Oh and I have an easier answer to the highly opinionated discussion going on about the 'Ukraine conflict' where there are so many solutions offered, both sides should stop fighting, the end. 

15 hours ago, PapayaBokBok said:

15 hours ago, PapayaBokBok said:

The majority of Thai girls just have great skill as they are able to avoid you, only the ones with dead eyes are not able to avoid you and thus your opinion is skewed. 😃

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

the 1000 mile dead eye stare......esp when i give them over pay at the 7-11 to avoid the one baht coins...

8 hours ago, JamesR said:

The majority of Thai girls just have great skill as they are able to avoid you, only the ones with dead eyes are not able to avoid you and thus your opinion is skewed. 😃

what can i say---I hang out in sewers--expect snakes...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

These two (Tristan Seth Nettles and Ashley Oosthuizen) bought my restaurant license in February 2020 when I was leaving Samui for work. In October 2020 she was arrested and the police contacted me to let me know what had happened and that my name had been placed on their boxes. The police had scanned the box during a customs check and held it back. When it did not arrive on time Ashley phoned to find out where the box was, and there is a recording of this call. She knew exactly what was going. I had not been on the island for many months prior to this and had no contact with either of them once the sale of the business had gone through. I was never his business partner and was working in the capital when he says I was meant to be collecting his boxes. Please note that my business was not even in the same location and they only bought my business restaurant license. I testified again her for which she receive an additional sentence of slander for using an innocent persons name in the commission of a crime. The police found her phone onsite during the raid which contained all her personal communications with her friends and her boyfriend detailing all of their plans. At some point during the pandemic (June 2020) the boyfriend had been tipped off that one of his boxes had been found at the school he worked at, at which time he apparently fled Thailand leaving Ashley to run the business in his absence. It appears she was unaware that they had found a box at the school. Since then her boyfriend has continued to spread lies and misinformation while collecting donations on her behalf, and for which she never received any of these funds. Do not support these people as she is guilty as sin. The Thai police did a huge amount of work in this case of which I am so very grateful. If Ashley and her boyfriends little plan had worked I would be the one in prison right now and I very much doubt there would be such a viral campaign for a middle aged man without a twinkle in his eye. Since these reports I have been inundated by friends, family and clients who believe I have committed suicide and even worse involved in some business that put a poor girl in prison for life. This is complete slander and poor journalism for giving this person a platform to spread his lies without ever checking on true story. The Thai police have repeatedly made statements to explain her guilt and that the previous business owner (me) had no involvement in the case, and yet you chose to simply take the word of a admitted criminal over the entire justice system of this country. This is wrong and sad to see. I am a real person with a family and career who did nothing but sell my business at the start of a pandemic and now I am supposedly dead and involved in this story. AWFUL!!!!!!

2 hours ago, DaveThailand said:

These two (Tristan Seth Nettles and Ashley Oosthuizen) bought my restaurant license in February 2020 when I was leaving Samui for work. In October 2020 she was arrested and the police contacted me to let me know what had happened and that my name had been placed on their boxes. The police had scanned the box during a customs check and held it back. When it did not arrive on time Ashley phoned to find out where the box was, and there is a recording of this call. She knew exactly what was going. I had not been on the island for many months prior to this and had no contact with either of them once the sale of the business had gone through. I was never his business partner and was working in the capital when he says I was meant to be collecting his boxes. Please note that my business was not even in the same location and they only bought my business restaurant license. I testified again her for which she receive an additional sentence of slander for using an innocent persons name in the commission of a crime. The police found her phone onsite during the raid which contained all her personal communications with her friends and her boyfriend detailing all of their plans. At some point during the pandemic (June 2020) the boyfriend had been tipped off that one of his boxes had been found at the school he worked at, at which time he apparently fled Thailand leaving Ashley to run the business in his absence. It appears she was unaware that they had found a box at the school. Since then her boyfriend has continued to spread lies and misinformation while collecting donations on her behalf, and for which she never received any of these funds. Do not support these people as she is guilty as sin. The Thai police did a huge amount of work in this case of which I am so very grateful. If Ashley and her boyfriends little plan had worked I would be the one in prison right now and I very much doubt there would be such a viral campaign for a middle aged man without a twinkle in his eye. Since these reports I have been inundated by friends, family and clients who believe I have committed suicide and even worse involved in some business that put a poor girl in prison for life. This is complete slander and poor journalism for giving this person a platform to spread his lies without ever checking on true story. The Thai police have repeatedly made statements to explain her guilt and that the previous business owner (me) had no involvement in the case, and yet you chose to simply take the word of a admitted criminal over the entire justice system of this country. This is wrong and sad to see. I am a real person with a family and career who did nothing but sell my business at the start of a pandemic and now I am supposedly dead and involved in this story. AWFUL!!!!!!

Try using paragraphs Dave and more people might believe you.....

• Haha 1

On 5/8/2022 at 10:41 PM, PapayaBokBok said:

I think you may be mistaking "dead eyes" for "killer eyes"...recommended to always sleeping on one's stomach for overall peace of mind.

• Thanks 1

On 5/9/2022 at 1:54 AM, HolyCowCm said:

depends on the "work"