News Forum - Tourists returning to Bangkok’s Khao San Road

Thaiger

The president of a business operators association on Bangkok’s famous Khao San Road says tourists are making a comeback there. This news comes following Thailand Pass‘s eased entry requirements for foreign arrivals, making travelling to Thailand slightly less tedious. The president told the Bangkok Post that the number of tourists still doesn’t exceed 20% of the numbers from pre-Covid times, though. Last month when Thai authorities kept an iron grip on would-be Songkran celebrators by keeping tough Covid-19 restrictions, the president said many businesses on Khaosan Road had canceled their parties. Nevertheless, Sa-nga Ruangwatthanakul, president of the Khao San Road Business […]

The story Tourists returning to Bangkok’s Khao San Road as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Not sure why the article uses intentionally inflammatory language like “tourist-trap”. I notice the summary for the TT feed uses “famous” instead. 

Maybe bars and music aren’t your thing but I wouldn’t call Khaosan a tourist trap. Bars and nightlife especially after Covid in places like New York have become so generic and sterilized or outrageously expensive. 

Khaosan’s appeal is it’s a bit grungy, a bit wild, everything that’s the opposite of COVID regulations. 

Are there touts and scams? Of course. Just as there’s touts and scams at many cultural sites too. Would you call them tourist traps as well? 

• Like 3

To be honest I’m getting bored with reading article stating the bleeding obvious! The tourists didn’t choose to leave. They were stopped from entering. Now it’s easier to enter the country then isn’t it natural people will come? These articles make it sound like some fantastic and innovative idea has been put in to practice that is bearing fruit. It’s not. It’s simply stopping the BS and more needs to be stopped. 

• Like 3

So in a sense they are saying they are going to fuly sterilize the road and area to a different standard that they find acceptable and attractive. These bozos in control have done a fine job of wiping out many of the things that this country was, and I say was as if not already it is coming fast to no more what it is famous for.

• Like 3

I saw that kao san road video of the 12th .. when they were ignoring the songkran rules it sured looked closed to pre pandemic numbers to me ... I was there at new year 2018 or 19 it looked the same

9 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

So in a sense they are saying they are going to fuly sterilize the road and area to a different standard that they find acceptable and attractive. These bozos in control have done a fine job of wiping out many of the things that this country was, and I say was as if not already it is coming fast to no more what it is famous for.

You couldn’t possibly be suggesting that profitable businesses have a better idea what their customers are looking for than mindless bureaucrats who think tourists come to Thailand to sprinkle water on their elders and go to temple.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JJJ said:

You couldn’t possibly be suggesting that profitable businesses have a better idea what their customers are looking for than mindless bureaucrats who think tourists come to Thailand to sprinkle water on their elders and go to temple.  

Ya think? 

2 hours ago, PapayaBokBok said:

once was enough for me....meh

I had a few good fun times there. But I always had to taxi back to Sukhumvit after totally messed up. Then back in the Sukhumvit area I had more fun . Not my cup of tea but it is needed to be preserved. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

I had a few good fun times there. But I always had to taxi back to Sukhumvit after totally messed up. Then back in the Sukhumvit area I had more fun . Not my cup of tea but it is needed to be preserved. 

mmmmm tea....now ur talking!