News Forum - Police find 1 million meth pills in Chiang Mai pickup truck

Thaiger

In another drug bust in Thailand’s north, police found 1 million meth pills in a pickup truck they stopped at a drug check in Chiang Dao district of Chiang Mai. The police arrested four people who were in the truck on Monday. After investigating, they then got a warrant to arrest another man, and another woman. The police managed to track down the woman, but the man is still on the loose. Police have so far arrested 5 people in total. The four people arrested at the drug strop include two men and two women. The suspects are 29, 31, […]

The story Police find 1 million meth pills in Chiang Mai pickup truck as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

9 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

260 million pills of illegal substances, 53,000 kilograms of marijuana confiscated. 7,552 kilograms of ice found, followed by quantities of heroin and ketamine

53 tons of ganga and 7.5 tons of ice. 
That must be a hell of a big drug burning bonfire that we never see. 

16 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Article quote: In the past six months, Thai police have arrested more than 120,000 drug suspects.

That cannot be true as just hard to believe.

It does look like a lot however…

The vast majority are users (driving while stoned, failed pee pee tests etc) and about 150,000+ inmates jailed for drug stuff have been released from prison over the last 3 years and a lot of them return to their trade or habit. And there is one born every day.

Now if we break 120,000 suspects down…
20,000 a month/30 days= 666 per day/141 prisons = 5 people daily per prison. It is not a lot and not all would go to prison as many would get bail. 

54 minutes ago, Fanta said:

It does look like a lot however…

The vast majority are users (driving while stoned, failed pee pee tests etc) and about 150,000+ inmates jailed for drug stuff have been released from prison over the last 3 years and a lot of them return to their trade or habit. And there is one born every day.

Now if we break 120,000 suspects down…
20,000 a month/30 days= 666 per day/141 prisons = 5 people daily per prison. It is not a lot and not all would go to prison as many would get bail. 

Then I think the article should have said drug users and drug suspects and really add to the article to break it down to be more understanding when read. It just reads to me that they arrested that many in the organized drug trade and not users. But you might be right. 

12 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Then I think the article should have said drug users and drug suspects

They are all suspects until convicted?  That takes months and often years for the bigger cases regardless of the plea. The Thai Police and the law are clever in regards to drug cases. If a user is arrested and he/she helps the cops catch his dealer then the law gives the user up to 30% off his/her sentence. The cops follow the chain upwards to catch the big guys but rarely the bigger fish. That’s why we also rarely hear of low level user and dealer arrests as by the time the chain is exhausted the initial arrest was weeks prior. 

I tell you what, Thailand  maybe has a serious drug problem, i remember a while a go a friend of mine told me ,in a factory about 70% of the industrial workers tested positive for drug use after one guy tried to swap a urine test and he was caught, they suspended him for a month and then tested everyone. (needless to say they couldn't suspend all the rest as well)

It makes me look around and realise on Friday night there's potentially some serious drug use going on, probably even more since covid and people being stuck at home all the time, unless im wrong they interecepted another 6 million pills last week or the week before and it seems to be largely for local consumption, I only hear rarely about drugs being intercepted going to Singapore or Australia for example.

I remember somewhere where I was working a senior member of staff told me how this young guy came her to begging her to get him off the pills. As far as I'm aware she didnt really have a solution as rehab isnt a thing here.

It seems to me this is largely  a major ignored problem especially amongst the youth of Thailand.

Edited by alex12345

25 minutes ago, alex12345 said:

It seems to me this is largely  a major ignored problem especially amongst the youth of Thailand

141 prisons in the country and about 80% of the inmates are in for drug offenses. Thailand is fighting a war on drugs that was lost decades ago. Suppression clearly doesn’t work. Thaksin and that Filipino  prick’s massacres of low level dealers & users proved as much. Even hang ‘em high Singapore has had limited “success”.  Someone here suggested that most of the biggest drug busts in Thailand are the result of turf wars between connected untouchables. There is just too much “easy”money in illegal drugs. Decimalize some drugs, educate on all drugs, reduce incarceration rates, increase rehabilitation resources with a nice taxation boost on top. 

• Like 1