It’s happening: Phuket sandbox approved by Cabinet

Thaiger

It’s been talked about until the buffalo came home – and then some. It was on, it was off, it was delayed, then it wasn’t. Finally, it’s been confirmed. After being closed to foreign tourists for over a year, the southern island of Phuket is set to re-open on July 1. Yesterday, the sandbox scheme, which will see the island pilot a return to international tourism, was approved at a Cabinet meeting and now awaits publication in the Royal Gazette. The planned re-opening of Koh Samui, Koh Pha Ngan, and Koh Tao on July 15 has also been approved. In […]

The post It’s happening: Phuket sandbox approved by Cabinet appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Me thinks it will be a comparable turnout to the hoards of Chinese tourists, aka 6-8 chinese property buyers with briefcases, that came "pouring in" last Fall. I think most people have figured out that all these announcements and schemes are nothing more than desperate efforts to keep foreign investors from cashing out. 

The 90 cases per week is not a printing mistake? If the 90 cases per week is true it is almost guranteed to be in a lockdown while the holidays

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stardust said:

The 90 cases per week is not a printing mistake? If the 90 cases per week is true it is almost guaranteed to be in a lockdown while the holidays

... ah but, who does the counting? :)

• Haha 2

If they hit 90 and lockdown, what’s worse: getting locked out at the last minute or getting locked down after arrival? I agree, they will count with a finger under the scale, not above it. Personally I would rather just wait the extra three months and enter Thailand where I want and without restrictions. 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

28 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

If they hit 90 and lockdown, what’s worse: getting locked out at the last minute or getting locked down after arrival? I agree, they will count with a finger under the scale, not above it. Personally I would rather just wait the extra three months and enter Thailand where I want and without restrictions. 

3 mos? That's really optimistic, mate. Aim sights for 4Q 2022 and I'll wager that ASQ will still be a requirement, plus insurance, plus local made SinoVac shots, plus 3x tests. All sold in a required package. 

With American Travel Warning and Black Oil/Tar Balls on Phuket's West (tourist side) beaches, the party is gearing up for a great start ! 

• Haha 2

I have to say that the Thai Government has certainly put a a lot of the nations vaccine stocks into Phuket. It will be small steps toward any sort of recovery. Much as many people would love to come to Phuket for a holiday (like me), they are restricted. I cannot leave my country, nor can the Chinese or Japanese. And now that the US has put out a travel warning, it leaves a dwindling group who can travel to Phuket. I just hope that everyone keeps their expectations low. It's also low season. There will be those so desperate to find some kind of normal, they will come even if it rains every day. I just welcome this opening as a sign of hope! Go Phuket!! Go Thailand!!!

• Cool 1

Defintely @Jason ,  I agree!  A journey of a thousand miles, starts with one step and the Phuket sandbox is it.

Will Phuket be the same as pre-pandemic times? NO. But it's a start on the long road back to "normality".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Tom_R said:

Any Idea when this will be published in the Gazette? Or is that just another unknown?

Oh, come on . . . this is Thailand!

Hello Tom_R and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

Seems that they have gone very very quiet on totals of fully vaccinated of the 70%? Before they said they will open 

• Cool 1

I have a question about which countries are on the low risk/med/high list.I scrolled down this report and clicked the AXA ins link.The UK are listed as high risk.I thought high risk countries couldn't come,or if you have been double jabbed this is taken into account? I have flexible flights booked to arrive 1st October,so I'm playing it safe for now.

This will be regularly every Friday as far as I know. Only on very very important things it's published before... and the sandbox plan isn't this important to the Thai people I think. 

Royal Thai Gazette website:

http://www.mratchakitcha.soc.go.th 

I hope behind the scenes is the integration of the SHA+ to the Coe sheme already prepared till then. 

1 hour ago, beachwalker said:

I have flexible flights booked to arrive 1st October, so I'm playing it safe for now.

Safest way, for sure!

Hello, beachwalker and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

Happy posting

King Cotton