News Forum - Bangkok to impose tobacco tax for the first time

Thaiger

Bangkok is planning to introduce a tobacco tax of up to 10 satang per cigarette, according to the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration. The BMA announced on Wednesday that this will be the first time Bangkok will impose a tax on tobacco, which will push the price of cigarettes up by 1.86 baht per pack. The tax, known as “Tobacco Tax for Local Maintenance” is intended to limit consumption of tobacco, according to permanent secretary of the BMA Suthathip Son-iam. The tax money will be used for maintenance of Bangkok city, she added. Anti-smoking advocates have shown their support for the proposed […]

The story Bangkok to impose tobacco tax for the first time as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

which will push the price of cigarettes up by 1.86 baht per pack

"Oh God, help me with this one"

2 Baht per pack? How about 2 baht per cigarette?

Or better, 5 or 10 baht per cigarette? Perhaps that would keep some away from smoking?

The smell is horrible, strong smokers have that in there cloth, so not even the indoor ban is fully effectiv, often.

And no, it is not! 

The tax, known as “Tobacco Tax for Local Maintenance” is intended to help limit consumption of tobacco,  

If it would be, it would be 5 or 10 baht/cigarette.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Bangkok is planning to introduce a tobacco tax of up to 10 satang per cigarette, according to the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration. The BMA announced on Wednesday that this will be the first time Bangkok will impose a tax on tobacco, which will push the price of cigarettes up by 1.86 baht per pack. The tax, known as “Tobacco Tax for Local Maintenance” is intended to limit consumption of tobacco, according to permanent secretary of the BMA Suthathip Son-iam. The tax money will be used for maintenance of Bangkok city, she added. Anti-smoking advocates have shown their support for the proposed […]

The story Bangkok to impose tobacco tax for the first time as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

no tax...simple...tax is theft...free market economy no tax

• Like 2

For f..k sake, will these people go back under the dung heap from which they crawled out of?!!!

I gave up smoking 17 years ago for myself, no one else.

I don't care if people smoke, or stand on one leg, and call themselves a little pink flamingo from the Sultan of Omans airforce!

STOP WITH ALL THIS DREAMING UP WAYS TO TAKE PEOPLE'S EYES OUT!!!

3 minutes ago, BIGGLES said:

STOP WITH ALL THIS DREAMING UP WAYS TO TAKE PEOPLE'S EYES OUT!!!

At 9 satang an eye, I think it's do-able................😀

Good news although a bit late in my opinion. Sukhumvit 's Police used to fine a lot more when catching someone throwing away a cigarette stub there. Why  not raise the Tax to 1000 Bath ? That would improve the overall health of Bangkok's Citizens and clean out the Waterways.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dingdong said:

If Tax is theft than smoke is slow motion murder. Addict

• Like 1

Overtaxation of Thailand, like every other country, soon to follow... frankly I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did with low taxation.

• Like 2

How about using the revenue raised for cancer clinics to lower the cost to the community caused by smoking? Just a thought..... 

• Like 2

Seems they are going to find a lot more ways to tax people in order to fund their political life styles and agendas. Sin tax, fun tax, sitting tax, scratching your ba l l s tax. If they taxed their hot air then there would be way more than enough to spread around. 

It’s not that it is a lot but where does it stop? 

29 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Seems they are going to find a lot more ways to tax people in order to fund their political life styles and agendas. Sin tax, fun tax, sitting tax, scratching your ba l l s tax. If they taxed their hot air then there would be way more than enough to spread around. 

It’s not that it is a lot but where does it stop? 

It's not going to stop now.

4 hours ago, dingdong said:

Who pays for the cancer victims ?

1 hour ago, Freeduhdumb said:

It's not going to stop now.

Yep. They will reinvent the same tax and how to divert it somewhere else, and of course think of new ways to tax things like hair coloring. But it will be so convoluted there will be no transparency. 

43 minutes ago, Michael1210 said:

They're running out of money and desperately trying anything to keep the sinking ship afloat.

Special for how to suck the life from the public A-Z. Don’t really worry about the cigarettes, it’s not about health. 

Thailand  has room to increase tax by 100 baht per pack. For fun I looked up median cigarette USD prices for pack of Marlboro

1. Australia  27.49 $   5. United Kingdom 14.81 $   15.  United States  8.50 $   55. Thailand  4.11$   104. Vietnam 1.31 $   106. Pakistan 1.18 $

Maybe Australia is the smart country. It has some of the lowest smoking rates in world. Only 10% of young  total pop  smoke .  I do notice that many of the Thais I know under the age of 30 with education and "middle class" or better do not smoke

• Like 3

Quote: The tax, known as “Tobacco Tax for Local Maintenance” is intended to help limit consumption of tobacco

What a load of rubbish. It may help some considering making the decision to quit but they would’ve given up anyway. I hope I’m wrong but it’s just another tax grab that’ll line someone’s pocket.