News Forum - Japanese expat dies in motorbike accident, 10 year old daughter seriously injured

Thaiger

A Japanese businessman died in a motorbike accident on a mountain in Chiang Rai province, northern Thailand, yesterday. His 10 year old daughter is seriously injured and is being treated at Mai Sai hospital. Yesterday, 52 year old Shimizu Masaeki was taking his 10 year old daughter up Doi Pha Hee mountain in Chiang Rai province when he is thought to have lost control and come off the road. Siam Ruamjai Rescue Unit discovered Shimizu’s body in the grass and found his seriously injured 10 year old daughter lying near him, who was urgently taken to receive treatment at Mae […]

The story Japanese expat dies in motorbike accident, 10 year old daughter seriously injured as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Were they  wearing a helmet.

Either way a sad story.

That is why I do not ride a motorbike.

To many uncontrollable factors in driving or riding a motorbike.

Weather, road conditions, other drivers.

• Like 1

There are few factors here. Was he wearing the full rider gear?...I don't think so. Was his daughter fully protected with the necessary riding gears?...again...I don't think so. What type of motorcycle was he riding? It that his own or rented? What was the condition of the motorcycle? Is he familiar with the mountain roads? How often he ride motorcycle?....regular rider or once a blue moon? ....These are the basics for a motorcycle rider. And finally what type of motorcycle is it? Adventure? High Speed? or normal cub?......Unless all these are know, it is difficult to conclude. I have ride on the hills of Chiang rai & Chiang Mai. Of course it is my own bike and well maintained for long distance. The roads are nice unless one knows how to control on hills...especially on the curves and corners

Edited by Ramanathan.P

1 hour ago, Nivram said:

My guess, by looking on the pictures on khao sok: There is one driver/vehicle not at the scene.

Aside that the police got notified about car accident, but only found one motorcycle!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nivram said:

Were they  wearing a helmet.

Either way a sad story.

That is why I do not ride a motorbike.

I used to ride - but I have more than enough aches and pains, and a permanent limp, to remind me why I don't any more. 

If he went off on the inside of the corner as the photo suggests there is a possibility that another vehicle involved cutting the corner and forcing evasive action.

I have been riding motorcycles for 38 years and that corner looks pretty easy without external forces creating an issue.

3 hours ago, Mazz11 said:

If he went off on the inside of the corner as the photo suggests there is a possibility that another vehicle involved cutting the corner and forcing evasive action.

I have been riding motorcycles for 38 years and that corner looks pretty easy without external forces creating an issue.

My experince riding the loop was like that, anymerous times drivers cutting corners and once one passing on a blind corner forcing me off the road.