Ex Military - How Has Your Service Affected You as an Individual?

Pinetree

Just a point of interest.  I often say that the UK Military brought me up, not my parents.  I joined as an Army  brat at 16 and left at age 40, as an RAF pilot and a Squadron Commander,  that's a big chunk of anyone's  life.   It has no doubt framed my life, impacted my views and , incidentally, produced a flexibility of thinking  that has made Thailand very easy to cope with, even with all its frustrations. I am what the Military trained an educated me to be and that is something I value and appreciate.  How many others feel this way about their service?  

• Like 2

I’ve never served. However once a year, family and invited visitors can take part in a day of “basic training” at Casement Aerodrome in Baldonnel just outside of Dublin. I did it in 1993. I was a good sportsman and quite fit, but I think it was one of the hardest days physically I’ve ever done. 

I would say the experience of “not serving” and just getting a taste affected me in that I’ve always had a deep respect for the serving airmen and ex-members of the Air Corps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Pffft Brill cream boys.

I would say that the 8 years I spent in the British army did shape me. It did give me rules for life which I still follow.

I also joined at the age of 16. Something I would not advise others to do. Wait until you are 18 guys.

However I do not think it defines me, it was a job I did at the time. I did enjoy most of it and I look back with fondness. I would not change anything.

However ex servicemen who sit in the bar with their pull up a sandbag till I tell you a story attitude should be avoided. 

It was a job. Move on. The world does not owe you anything. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Pffft Brill cream boys.

I would say that the 8 years I spent in the British army did shape me. It did give me rules for life which I still follow.

I also joined at the age of 16. Something I would not advise others to do. Wait until you are 18 guys.

However I do not think it defines me, it was a job I did at the time. I did enjoy most of it and I look back with fondness. I would not change anything.

However ex servicemen who sit in the bar with their pull up a sandbag till I tell you a story attitude should be avoided. 

Not trolling OKAY rookie, but I went out and found a job at 16. in a shopping center, lol.rode my pushbike to work and home rain and sunshine untill I could afford a car. You are so correct, brill cream boys, The difference with me is that I learned skepticism very young, And I agree, It was a job. Move on. The world does not owe you anything. Except when you are disabled, then you should be cared for.

• 3 weeks later...

Should be asking this question in Pattaya. Loads of ex forces there. 😆😆😆

a little different experience.  i hated every second of my two years in and it motivated me to never consider any type of government job again.   glad your experience was better!

• Like 1

I like a couple of OP's joined the Army at 16 retired at 40 the early years were great but once I hit the SNCO (Senior Non Commissioned Officer) level the fun factor left and the job and responsibilities took over your life as there were never enough hour's in the day.

I've no regrets about spending most of my adult life in the Army it gave me discipline administrational and organisational skills and foresight and made me an excellent judge off character. 

The things I miss about it are the comradeship, the banter, and the professionalism.

The things I don't miss are the long hours,the constant fast balls and problem solving and the arms plot moves.

• Like 1