News Forum - Top reasons to buy properties in Thailand 2022

Thaiger

While Thailand is one of the top tourist destinations worldwide, it boasts an excellent property market! Well, there are plenty of compelling reasons to buy property in Thailand. First off, Thailand is a fantastic area to live in; the Land of Smile boasts world-class beaches, profound nature and exciting cityscapes. The best part is that you will be able to find your dream home at a reasonable price here. The Southeast Asian country also has a stable and diversified economy with many opportunities to grow in the future. On top of this, house and land prices and rents are generally rising, […]

The story Top reasons to buy properties in Thailand 2022 as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

What a very misleading report.  It would all be fine if you can actually  own your own land and house, which you can't, unless through a legitimate, legally constituted company structure, which is hard to do.   You have to pick a condo development, where you are in a minority and that market is saturated with unsold properties.  Prices to sell, and rental income, are still falling, not raising,. unless maybe in the over priced end of Bangkok . 

Unless you intend to live here for the foreseeable future, buying is not a good idea at all. Q some people who will tell you that they have made a fortune here,  buying and selling their own properties.  My advice would be to take such stories with a very large pinch of salt. Note, Thais don't like to buy second hand houses, or indeed condos, so your market for any resale may be a lot smaller than you think. 

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

What a very misleading report.  It would all be fine if you can actually  own your own land and house, which you can't, unless through a legitimate, legally constituted company structure, which is hard to do.   You have to pick a condo development, where you are in a minority and that market is saturated with unsold properties.  Prices to sell, and rental income, are still falling, not raising,. unless maybe in the over priced end of Bangkok . 

Unless you intend to live here for the foreseeable future, buying is not a good idea at all. Q some people who will tell you that they have made a fortune here,  buying and selling their own properties.  My advice would be to take such stories with a very large pinch of salt. Note, Thais don't like to buy second hand houses, or indeed condos, so your market for any resale may be a lot smaller than you think. 

Spot on comments. I get tired of these “normalised” articles which aim to portray Thailand as a normal country with equality for all. Nothing could be further from the truth. This isn’t a forward thinking and progressive country at all and attempts to portray it as such are misleading. 

As for a stable economy, that may well be true at the moment. As for a stable political environment to accompany the economy then again, nothing could be further from the truth. Thailand will, at some point, need to sort its politics out. The only way that will happen will be through some form of civil unrest or even all out civil war. Not a place to invest in bricks and mortar (concrete and concrete) I’m afraid  !!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Not a place to invest in bricks and mortar (concrete and concrete) I’m afraid  !!!

Indeed not.  I own ( in my own right) a condo, but it is for family holiday use.  I am also a minority shareholder in a legally constituted company that owns  the house I live in.  However,  I don't delude myself that the money I have spent on the two properties is in any way an 'investment' or that the money will ever be recoverable. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Pinetree said:

Indeed not.  I own ( in my own right) a condo, but it is for family holiday use.  I am also a minority shareholder in a legally constituted company that owns  the house I live in.  However,  I don't delude myself that the money I have spent on the two properties is in any way an 'investment' or that the money will ever be recoverable. 

Well done for your honesty about the situation. Nothing wrong with buying a property if it’s for convenience and a place to call home. As an investment? Forget it unless it’s a waterfront desirable property in Bangkok or beachfront idyllic location in Phuket. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Geoff123 said:

Only a fool would enter the Real Estate Market with a Crash on the Horizon

I believe the politically acceptable phrase is "valuation adjustment".  I expect that once the interest rate increases hit, the shakeout will start.

2 hours ago, Vigo said:

I believe the politically acceptable phrase is "valuation adjustment".  I expect that once the interest rate increases hit, the shakeout will start.

interest rate increases

Any minute now

My advice…consider and reconsider. I love Thailand. But unless one’s moving to Thailand permanently, I do not fully recommend buying anything. Of the several millions usd I saved, I do not plan to invest a single cent there, sorry. I rather fly over to BKK every month and stay at 4 seasons, where I have nothing to worry about, than owning a headache that ll be hard to sell and likely to lose value. That is just me though, I am only a humble hard worker that prioritizes asset accumulation, but if you have some serious cash to burn have at it of course. 

9 hours ago, Geoff123 said:

Only a fool would enter the Real Estate Market with a Crash on the Horizon

haha there is a website called housepricecrash.com or certainly used to be in the UK - it started about 3 decades ago hosted by people willing a crash, but no fundamentals to back it up. Fast forward those 3 decades and prices went berserk, property millionaires are everywhere, people no longer have to rent because they own and didn't listen to the pessimists, and the same downbeat pessimists are still calling a crash ! 🤣

On 5/3/2022 at 10:31 AM, Pinetree said:

Eh ? You CAN own your own house in your own name, with no thai input with a usufruct over the land so it can't be sold beneath you. It's amazing how many times the old wives tales are peddled on expat forums and how it's accepted as truth. If anyone wants to take their lead from expat forums you're likely to come to a sticky end as opposed to just finding out how it really works.

(If you do want to do the 'hard to do' company (lease) route as opposed to usufruct it's all of a couple of hours in a lawyers office) - hardly 'hard'.

I haven't made a fortune , but I'm certainly not looking at losses whereas renting in any part of the world is just making someone else rich.

On 5/3/2022 at 10:56 AM, Pinetree said:

Not even the capital ? So you've bought something that was immediately worthless ?

You're talking profit right ? 

10 hours ago, Benroon said:

Not even the capital ? So you've bought something that was immediately worthless ?

You're talking profit right ? 

where is the confused emoji when you need it.  I live in the house, full time, the condo is used for holidays, didn't you understand that?   

17 hours ago, Benroon said:

(If you do want to do the 'hard to do' company (lease) route as opposed to usufruct it's all of a couple of hours in a lawyers office) - hardly 'hard'.

The usufruct is a leasehold arrangement, we are supposed to be debating freehold property investment and return on that capital. Not the same thing at all. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pinetree said:

where is the confused emoji when you need it.  I live in the house, full time, the condo is used for holidays, didn't you understand that?   

yesssss I understood, but you said I never expect to see that money again (the money you bought the properties with)  - capiche ? You'll see it if you sell them correct ?

3 hours ago, Pinetree said:

The usufruct is a leasehold arrangement, we are supposed to be debating freehold property investment and return on that capital. Not the same thing at all. 

It is absolutely 100% relevant - if you don't understand that, then I agree property purchase is probably not for you. Every single time this subject comes up you will wake up all the thai haters telling you there is a thai girl waiting to relieve you of your property (thus relevant to investment or return) and that property purchase is a bad idea, however a usufruct snookers that prospect. I know numerous people that have made decent money in property and one in particular has made multiple millions (£'s). The people that have missed the boat/too frightened/not got a pot to piss in - will tell you otherwise.

On 5/4/2022 at 3:23 PM, Mazz11 said:

interest rate increases

Any minute now

Inflation, Stagflation, Interest rates hike, Recession is looming.