News Forum - Thailand and Japan sign defence transfer pact to counter China’s growing influence

Thaiger

Thailand and Japan have signed an agreement on the mutual transfer of defence technology and equipment, in a bid to counter growing Chinese assertiveness, according to a report in the Kyodo News. The Japanese PM Fumio Kishida, and Thai PM Prayut Chan-o-cha, have also agreed to work together in providing humanitarian assistance to Ukraine and its neighbours. The agreement, signed by both leaders, aims to strengthen security cooperation between the 2 countries. Japan has been seeking to counter China’s growing influence in the Indo-Pacific region, with PM Kishida promoting his vision of a more “free and open” region. The Japanese […]

The story Thailand and Japan sign defence transfer pact to counter China’s growing influence as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Every time Thailand rocks the boat with China there’s a problem with exports to China just the same as Australia’s had. Last time it was cancelling the sub deal, buying war planes from America, then a warning was sounded and covid was detected on Durian. The time before it was also fruit exports. Watch this space because this latest pact with Japan will see more Thai export problems to China. 

• Like 4

For me knowing Thailand history I would not trust them as an ally. Thailand has a long history of flip floping.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malc-Thai said:

How is that submarine and tanks deal going by the way with China!  

Exactly mate. The Thais will sign anything with anyone that keeps the fence post carefully balanced up their asses. They have no views or principles about seemingly anything apart from religion, close family and a 3rd one I can’t say or my post will be halted pending moderation. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, EdwardV said:

This won’t go over well in Beijing. 

Don’t worry mate. They are most likely meeting with the Chinese next week to sign a new deal about something else

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The problem Thailand has is that it thinks it’s more influential than it is. At the very least it’s leaders want to be more influential than they ever will be. This is why they go around the world signing up to deals with anyone who makes them feel special at the time. Like everything else they do, the deals aren’t based on some deep seated moral principles. Or even on a long term strategy for the country. It’s all about looking big. The photo opportunities which the voters (equally fixated on image) see in their daily news. No moral compass, no principles, no vision and no strategy. All of which lead to no hope! 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Giltee said:

buying war planes from America,

Thailand isn’t getting F-35s unless they cut ties with China first and in a big way. We are talking burning bridges in a spectacular fashion kind of thing. Even then I’d say it’s iffy at best. Maybe this deal with Japan is the first step? The true test will be to see how china responds. If Pooh’s head explodes then we can start believing. Random wolf warrior bluster and business as usual. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Meanwhile, the Thai PM is hopeful that the agreement will increase Japanese investment in Thailand’s defence industry.

There you go. Thailand won’t even say boo about Russia so, imo, they sure as heck won’t do anything about China.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

Thailand isn’t getting F-35s unless they cut ties with China first and in a big way. We are talking burning bridges in a spectacular fashion kind of thing. Even then I’d say it’s iffy at best. Maybe this deal with Japan is the first step? The true test will be to see how china responds. If Pooh’s head explodes then we can start believing. Random wolf warrior bluster and business as usual. 

Oh I dunno about that. There's a few water damaged ones going cheap lately. 😃

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Giltee said:

Every time Thailand rocks the boat with China there’s a problem with exports to China just the same as Australia’s had. Last time it was cancelling the sub deal, buying war planes from America, then a warning was sounded and covid was detected on Durian. The time before it was also fruit exports. Watch this space because this latest pact with Japan will see more Thai export problems to China. 

Considering the impending food shortages around the world, I expect the Thai  food exporters will have alternative markets lined up. I expect that westerners will be more open to Thai produce than the Chinese. With the grain shortages predicted, I expect Thai rice sales will be strong.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

It would be madness to share with thailand. Might as well send a free  aircraft to China. Thailand doesn't need stealth aircraft anyway.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Oh I dunno about that. There's a few water damaged ones going cheap lately. 😃

Those two cost extra. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Vigo said:

It would be madness to share with thailand. Might as well send a free  aircraft to China. Thailand doesn't need stealth aircraft anyway.

China has had all the technology for some time anyway. That's why they weren't all that bothered when the F35 went for a swim off Taiwan.

4 minutes ago, Vigo said:

Thailand doesn't need stealth aircraft anyway.

Agreed. Thailand would be much better off buying more Gripens or even the F-15EX. While neither are cheap to purchase, they are much cheaper to fly. The savings over their lifespan would make them a better option. 

1 hour ago, EdwardV said:

Agreed. Thailand would be much better off buying more Gripens or even the F-15EX. While neither are cheap to purchase, they are much cheaper to fly. The savings over their lifespan would make them a better option. 

Maybe they can use them on their aircraft carrier? Plenty of available parking there. 
https://www.businessinsider.com/thailands-aircraft-carrier-has-no-aircraft-2015-2

Japanese PM boxed Prayuth in with his leading characterization that they (Japan and Thailand) both disagree with any infringement on sovereignty by force, despite the fact Bangkok remains neutral on Russia/Ukraine and abstains from key votes in the UN on same.  

A part of me doesn't fault little 'ole Thailand for riding the fence, though.   At the same time, musing about the irony presented by the long-running insurgency in Southern Thailand, motivated by similar justifications made by Putin for Eastern Ukraine.  History, ethnicity, language, and more in the South of Thailand, a religious factor.

• Like 1

CCP? Screw these pricks. Putin screw him and his killing of killiing of his lame uneducated trained soldiers too. Let them all die or give up and change sides. CCP, death to them all if they are really CCP.

This was at my hotel, with the Japanese PM staying there

Had to be over 100 police at the hotel for 3 straight days

20 hours ago, Giltee said:

Chinese sanctions coming for Thailand

20 hours ago, Morpheus said:

For me knowing Thailand history I would not trust them as an ally. Thailand has a long history of flip floping.

It is just a weaseling country riding the wind of change to wherever the tide is stronger. No backbone

• Like 2