News Forum - Is Thailand ready for a Clean Air Act?

Thaiger

https://youtu.be/XDbSjFGo6Rk Thailand has plenty of air pollution problems, from the city traffic, the black-smoke belching buses, the industry and, most of all, the smoke and smog from the burning of agricultural waste, principally in the central and northern parts of Thailand. Then there’s all the air pollution that floats in across the Laos, Cambodian and Myanmar borders. There’s also a seasonal aspect where the monsoonal winds either clear up or contribute to the problems. So what can the Thai government do about all this? Is Thailand ready for a Clean Air Act?

The story Is Thailand ready for a Clean Air Act? as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

8 hours ago, Thaiger said:

So what can the Thai government do about all this? Is Thailand ready for a Clean Air Act?

No it isn’t. No point in having a clean air act or any other act unless you sort out corruption first. New laws just mean new opportunities for people in positions of authority to look the other way, for a price of course. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Soidog said:

No it isn’t. No point in having a clean air act or any other act unless you sort out corruption first. New laws just mean new opportunities for people in positions of authority to look the other way, for a price of course. 

What a sad comment.   I don't mean it's not true,  which makes it sadder.  I would live in Bangkok with decent air quality year round but it doesn't seem like that all happen in my lifetime. 

1 hour ago, TorontoJeff said:

What a sad comment.   I don't mean it's not true,  which makes it sadder.  I would live in Bangkok with decent air quality year round but it doesn't seem like that all happen in my lifetime. 

I find myself feeling that way about many things here. I read about many initiatives which should be positive stories, and then feel a sense of sadness when I realise it’s unlikely to work due to corruption. I’ve lost count the number of times I’ve asked Thai friends about something and why it’s not done properly, only to receive the answer “Corruption”! 

I’ve said many times in this forum that corruption touches almost every aspect of life in a negative way. Why are developers allowed to build large housing estates without upgrading the road infrastructure around the estate? Corruption! Why don’t they fix the road to the village properly to stop the potholes forming every few months? Corruption!  Why are you not bothered your teenage son isn’t going to the class you’ve paid for. Aren’t you worried he will fail? No don’t worry, the teacher already been paid so he must pass. It’s like a cancer which operates at all levels of society and seemingly as difficult as cancer to cure. 

• Like 4

I am really shocked to know that such a beautiful tourist destination doesn't have a "Clean Air Regulation". No wonder the air pollution is uncontrolled in the country including vehicle emissions...

• Like 1

Well, for me there is no other place I want to stay and live. I love Thailand living here with my- wife kids -family and dogs and Thai friends.  CM is the greatest for me on this earth... Not going anywhere. 

4 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

I am really shocked to know that such a beautiful tourist destination doesn't have a "Clean Air Regulation". No wonder the air pollution is uncontrolled in the country including vehicle emissions...

Mauritius is just one big trash dump, as is India, Philippines, Cambodia, Indonesia, South Africa;    London, Paris and Rome have recorded unhealthy levels of pollution just this week. it's not just Thailand.  The whole world needs to get a grip of pollution, but don't hold your breath ( no pun intended). 

3 hours ago, Pinetree said:

Mauritius is just one big trash dump, as is India, Philippines, Cambodia, Indonesia, South Africa;    London, Paris and Rome have recorded unhealthy levels of pollution just this week. it's not just Thailand.  The whole world needs to get a grip of pollution, but don't hold your breath ( no pun intended). 

Pintree... CM is not so bad at all this year. BTW. Have you ever seen the mountains and pinetree's on a big mountaine trip here??? If you have then it resembles something of California mountains. Very beautiful for the CM to Burma mountains. And I have travelled California probably at the 80% ratio and for here pretty extensively . Not so much I have not seen or travelled through there and here, and in actuality just to travel California can take you a life time in itself alone. You make a list and then I will make an extensive list so we can compare for where we have been to. The world is a semi dumpster but not all of it has went to heck in a handbasket. Help Save The Earth!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Well, for me there is no other place I want to stay and live. I love Thailand living here with my- wife kids -family and dogs and Thai friends.  CM is the greatest for me on this earth... Not going anywhere. 

I'm seriously looking at Koh Samui, and considering a place there and Bangkok.  The air quality in Bangkok is a killer, though.   I spent many years in China, and loved everything about it (even the bad) except for the air.   

Of course,  all you need to do is hop a quick flight from Bangkok to Dhaka and get a taste of that "air", and yes you can definitely taste it, to realize things could be worse.