Where's the $10,000 Minimum Insurance?

I noticed that the one thing that hasn't changed (even on the Thaiger site) is that none of the insurance options are offering $10,000 policies. 

I presume they never will.

Also, does your insurance policy still have to state that it is usable specifically in Thailand? 

Was what I was told true?  If you buy one of the junk policies that specifically states it is good in Thailand and then at the same time opt and buy a "real" medical policy for the time you are in Thailand, that if you look in the fine print you will see that your policy is invalidated by duplicate coverage.  You end up with nothing at all.

I hope this isn't real.

Merwan

2 hours ago, Merwan2004 said:

I noticed that the one thing that hasn't changed (even on the Thaiger site) is that none of the insurance options are offering $10,000 policies. 

Maybe because it's only changed if purchasing from today to $10,000 USD.

2 hours ago, Merwan2004 said:

If you buy one of the junk policies that specifically states it is good in Thailand and then at the same time opt and buy a "real" medical policy for the time you are in Thailand, that if you look in the fine print you will see that your policy is invalidated by duplicate coverage.  You end up with nothing at all.

If you opted for a 'real' medical policy in the first instance for the time you are in Thailand, why would you also buy a junk policy. That also answers your question.

Posted (edited)

Can anybody recommend the cheapest 10k Covid insurance in Thailand?

Yes, I know there are several insurance recommended by Thaiger admin but I would like to hear from actual users themselves. And why it is better and cheaper than others.

Edited by ericthai

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Faz said:

If you opted for a 'real' medical policy in the first instance for the time you are in Thailand, why would you also buy a junk policy. That also answers your question.

Have you read my post?  It was posted on May 1, 2022.  There are no $10,000 insurance policies available on the Thaiger site or anywhere that I can see.  If you have a legitimate link to a $10,000 policy, please share.   My post explains why one would find the need to purchase two policies . . . a bogus one that states it is good in Thailand and one that is a real policy offering real coverage that does not specifically state it is applicable to Thailand because it states it is good all over the world.  Policies state that duplication of coverage (having two policies) invalidates both policies due to concerns about fraud.

Edited by Merwan2004

58 minutes ago, Merwan2004 said:

Have you read my post?  It was posted on May 1, 2022.  There are no $10,000 insurance policies available on the Thaiger site or anywhere that I can see.  If you have a legitimate link to a $10,000 policy, please share.

Yes, I read your post.
Are you aware that applications for the Thai Pass up until May 1st required $20,000 USD.
Only applications from May 1st are subject to the new $10,000 USD requirement.
May 1st is a Sunday, it's also a holiday. Tomorrow (Monday) is also a holiday in lieu of Sunday.
It can take Insurers weeks to change their websites, but you can also tell the Insurer you want cover for only $10,000 USD. 

Google is your friend. Health/Covid Insurance for foreigners and Thais entering Thailand | 10,000 USD Insurance for entering Thailand with Covid-19 Cover | Mister Prakan

1 hour ago, Merwan2004 said:

My post explains why one would find the need to purchase two policies . . . a bogus one that states it is good in Thailand and one that is a real policy offering real coverage that does not specifically state it is applicable to Thailand because it states it is good all over the world.  Policies state that duplication of coverage (having two policies) invalidates both policies due to concerns about fraud.

There is absolutely no need to buy two policies. One is sufficient provided it meets the requirements to enter Thailand. Not true that duplicated policies invalidate each other, however you may only be able to claim on one up to it's limit, before claiming on the other.

For example, in Thailand they have a mandatory government Insurance policy for motor vehicles/cycles, but you can take out a voluntary comprehensive policy without affecting each other.

7 hours ago, ericthai said:

Can anybody recommend the cheapest 10k Covid insurance in Thailand?

Yes, I know there are several insurance recommended by Thaiger admin but I would like to hear from actual users themselves. And why it is better and cheaper than others.

When applying for the TP, I understand you're offered the opportunity to purchase the required Insurance through FWD. I believe it was 650 BHT, 20,000USD for 30 days. It should be cheaper now.
It's not the best policy, but it meets the requirements.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Faz said:

There is absolutely no need to buy two policies. One is sufficient provided it meets the requirements to enter Thailand. Not true that duplicated policies invalidate each other, however you may only be able to claim on one up to it's limit, before claiming on the other.

Yes, I am aware that the policy level is now $10,000.  (That is why you read in my originial posting, "I noticed that the one thing that hasn't changed (even on the Thaiger site) is that none of the insurance options are offering $10,000 policies.")  

Yes, I am aware that Google is my friend.  

Does Thailand still stipulate that any policy declaration must state clearly that the insurance covers Covid and specifically that it covers it in Thailand?  

In reality I need to buy two insurance policies because none of the qualifying policies for entry into Thailand (as far as I can see) offer a coverage exclusion for pre-existing conditions.  And none of the policies on the market that offer a coverage exclusion for pre-existing conditions state that they specifically (although they offer world-wide coverage) that they cover Thailand specifically as stipulated by the Thai government.  

I appreciate your help though and ask you to forgive my lack of clarity.  Hopefully these posts will clarify things for others.  I am very careful when buying insurance because I used to sell travel insurance when I was young on a daily basis as a travel agent in San Francisco.  I know how insurance companies handle claims.

Merwan

Edited by Merwan2004

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Faz said:

When applying for the TP, I understand you're offered the opportunity to purchase the required Insurance through FWD. I believe it was 650 BHT, 20,000USD for 30 days. It should be cheaper now.
It's not the best policy, but it meets the requirements.

We do not want the ones 'recommended' which is usually more expensive.

It is still 650 baht even though it is now reduced to 10k which is a ripoff.

Are there any other cheaper insurance company used by existing forummers.

Edited by ericthai

Posted (edited)

I noticed that as well. The coverage is going down, and the prices are remaining the same.  I assumed this is what would happen and that is why I was intent on buying asap.  My needs are specific.  I am looking for a policy that provides an easily gotten Certificate of Coverage for the Thailand Pass and has an exclusion waiver for pre-existing medical conditions.  I did discover finally  for anyone interested that AIG (TravelGuard) allows you to book with them (offering a pre-existing medical condition exclusion waiver if booked within 15 days of making your first deposit or payment on your trip) if that is what you need, and then you can call them or email them at travelguardupdates@aig.com to request a letter verifying Medical Expense Coverage which I can only presume is accepted by the Thailand Pass.  You must include your TravelGuard policy number (if already booked), names of policy holders, your email address you would like the letter sent to, the destination of your trip, the travel dates, your telephone number, and your mailing addess.  I found this information on the AIG Travel website:  https://www.aig.com/travel-guard.  This information might prove helpful to someone out there!  More specifically, the information about the verification letter is found here:  https://www.travelguard.com/travel-news/coronavirus-advisory  

Cheers!

Merwan

Edited by Merwan2004
spelling

• 2 weeks later...

The amount of insurance you get was never an issue, you can get a million dollars worth fairly cheap. It's governments in Asia posturing that they're making it easier to enter their countries when you were always going to be paying about £25/$30 for it. I know Thailand is planning to replace the insurance requirement with a lower entry fee by August but we have to go through the farce of gradually removing restrictions first.