News Forum - Floor of Bangkok condo collapses, 1 killed

Thaiger

One floor of a condominium in Bang Sue district in Bangkok collapsed between last night and this morning, killing a construction worker. Five other people were also injured when the floor came crashing down. It’s still unknown which floor in the 27-storey building collapsed, however, engineers and forensic investigators are expected to inspect the site today. The condo is located on the bank of the Chao Phraya river. Witnesses said they saw a pickup truck leaving the construction site around midnight carrying what they believed were three injured workers, to Vachira Hospital nearby. Rescuers from the Poh Teck Tung foundation said […]

The story Floor of Bangkok condo collapses, 1 killed as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

Yep, buy a condo in Bangkok, great investment.

Personally think anyone that buys in hi rise in BKK Thailand is short on grey matter.

Western countries with the best tech and resources have problems with foundations etc and BKK is built on a swamp.

Fire is always a danger. You're 35 floors up and the building in flames on the 20th floor, you want to trust the safe exits, if they haven't been locked or blocked.

Sweet dreams Condo owners.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, palooka said:

Personally think anyone that buys in hi rise in BKK Thailand is short on grey matter.

Western countries with the best tech and resources have problems with foundations etc and BKK is built on a swamp.

Fire is always a danger. You're 35 floors up and the building in flames on the 20th floor, you want to trust the safe exits, if they haven't been locked or blocked.

A while since I heard the old argument " Bangkok condos are still cheaper than in Singapore" 😂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, palooka said:

You make valid points, and I would even suggest I  would be worried about back up generator to power fire service elevator and water pumps assuming there is even water pressure sufficient.  Lets be fair though and recognize that some of the buildings are relatively safe and decent quality. I feel safer in some more so than buildings in UK and Middle east with their flammable claddings or buildings in Canada, Southern EU and USA that are not earthquake resistant.  It is all relevant, yes? I have much confidence in the Japanese financed/joint ventured projects and some of the French or German joint ventures than I do over the  Chinese, Indian or Thai backed projects.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

I've watched some Thai high rise cement structures in the process of being built. Looked like very thin floors (who knows if high-strength cement was used or even tested? No proper rebar- just metal mesh reinforced, no vibration/consolidation tools seen) pretty sketchy. Structural steel more expensive but goes up faster and stays up. 

1 hour ago, TSS said:

I've watched some Thai high rise cement structures in the process of being built. Looked like very thin floors (who knows if high-strength cement was used or even tested? No proper rebar- just metal mesh reinforced, no vibration/consolidation tools seen) pretty sketchy. Structural steel more expensive but goes up faster and stays up. 

I often wondered if the expensive condoes are better built, or if it's just a prettier facade. I suspect it's the latter.

Structural steel requires proper fireproofing.  It is suceptible to structural failure in the event of fire. 

See what happened to the World trade Center Buildings in NYC.