News Forum - Thailand ranked one of 10 safest travel destinations

Thaiger

48 minutes ago, Manu said:

Yeah so now using the right %, the point you try to put across is very clear to everyone as if it was not already. At least the factual numbers are right (well I guess cause I will not check that other 20% number this time .. I guess at that stage it is irrelevant).

Not irrelevant to true & rational Swedes😉

• Like 1

13 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Sample size & nationality is fine but the results are majorly flawed & misleading.

Did you  take the time to read how the study was done? This is the  BHTP statement;

"In order to identify  the safest countries, BHTP asked survey respondents which countries they had traveled to in the last five years, and only allowed those who had visited the select destinations to rank them based on specific criteria related to safety concerns. BHTP then augmented those ratings with other indices including the Global Peace Index, as well as an index on COVID performance based on data from Our World in Data, calculating a weighted score that reflects each country’s overall safety. 

For the safest cities, BHTP pulled destinations from readily available lists created by expert sources including Expedia and American Express, narrowing down to 23 cities. Similar to safest countries, only travelers that had previously visited these cities were able to rank them using a variety of safety measures and based on personal experience. Lastly, combining those numbers with recent safety survey ratings from The Economist and GeoSure Global, BHTP outlined final results. 

The State of Travel Insurance survey also asked people to share what they feel are the top threats to 2022 travel. Not surprisingly, 56% said disease outbreaks, and 51% said international terrorism. However it is interesting to note these numbers are about 7% lower than the 2021 survey reported.

BHTP’s State of Travel Insurance research has been conducted each fall since 2015 by Polymath Research + Marketing, using independent national panels surveying thousands of consumers on future expectations in travel insurance and travel habits. "

The takeaway from this study, is that it actually backs up Thailand's tourist Covid strategy. "The State of Travel Insurance survey also asked people to share what they feel are the top threats to 2022 travel. Not surprisingly, 56% said disease outbreaks". Thailand's strategy addressed the concern and now that countries are reopening and the airlines are  returning, Thailand is ready to welcome much of the world. Thailand does not have a significant disease outbreak in its key tourism destinations of Koh Samui, Phuket and Krabi.  What Thailand now needs to focus on, is petty and opportunistic crime.

• Thanks 1

>They do not visit in large numbers and likely never will given the distance and resulting jet lag. They do not have the vacation time for it.

Then why do I hear so many American accents in Thailand.  You tip your hand with your politics ("they do not have the vacation time for it") and by saying what you want to be true, not what is true.

BTW, Thai food is very popular in the US, and has been since the 80's.

There is an occasional Thai restaurant.  I'm not sure how that gets you to "very popular".  There are 100x as many Mexican restaurants and Chinese restaurants without exaggeration, and probably 20X as many Indian and Japanese restaurants with sushi being popular now.

>Toss them a survey and they slap Thailand in the top ten safest places ( you wonder how many options they were given). Do a survey in the UK, Germany or Australia, and Thailand will end up in the top ten most dangerous holiday destinations.

No.  Most of your comment has only the most tangential relation to reality.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Mudshark said:

Do a survey in the UK, Germany or Australia, and Thailand will end up in the top ten most dangerous holiday destinations.

Sorry but that is garbage. How can Thailand ever be considered dangerous.? 

Africa, America (continent), Europe have tourist destinations that are far more dangerous than Thailand. S. E. Asia in general is safe for visitors. 

• Like 5

23 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Not irrelevant to true & rational Swedes😉

Sure… ( I try to also put some yellow face , just don’t know how to)

On 5/1/2022 at 4:39 AM, oldschooler said:

NO. Canada cannot possibly be safer than Iceland or Switzerland.

Sweden at No. 2 is just ridiculous. simply cannot be considered safe at all with 20% Muslim population. Try just walking in their areas as a western female without head & body covered, I dare you.

Now yes Thailand IS Extremely Safe  ( IF you don’t use the roads or wear Rolex type watches or misbehave in public). SAFE my no.1 factor here.

My personal reasons for staying here are in order SAFE WARM CHEAP TROPICAL SIMPLE FRIENDLY FLEXIBLE FAMILY BEACH. NOT here for Culture / Food/ Govt/ Politics/ People. 

"NOT here for Culture / Food/ Govt/ Politics/ People. "

That is funny seeing you seem to spend most of your day on this blog having a go at people.😀

On 5/1/2022 at 7:17 PM, Dr.Sivada said:

Someone just got robbed in broad daylight at Costco parking lot here in the US. So I d say Bangkok is safe in general. But still requires caution, as one should anywhere. I stay only in Thong Lor, goes everywhere by grab. Return straight home from dinner. Activities almost all between Chit Lom and Ekkamai. Watch out for anyone near me. I might be too cautious, but it can’t hurt. 

It sounds like you should just stay home

I'd say paranoid, not cautious 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

It sounds like you should just stay home

I'd say paranoid, not cautious 

I have a good time, I am not usually interested in things outside of chit lom and Ekkamai, and I don’t feel stressed out. I don’t see any problem with that. 

On 5/1/2022 at 10:33 AM, Smiler said:

Safe until you try to cross the road

When I was in Saigon you couldn't step off the hotel entrance onto the footpath without checking for traffic. If there wasn't room on the road they come onto the footpath.

1 hour ago, Dr.Sivada said:

I have a good time, I am not usually interested in things outside of chit lom and Ekkamai, and I don’t feel stressed out. I don’t see any problem with that. 

Your posted sounded like it

But no, nothing wrong with sticking where you like

We just left BKK and I love BKK but I said to my wife it's such a process to go anywhere outside where you live/stay

So yes if you like an area, it is nice to stay around there

I like Sathorn and even though not technically Bangkok, Thonburi would be my choice of area to live in