News Forum - Russia’s FM Sergei Lavrov warns US not to supply Ukraine with arms

Thaiger

36 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

The House in the US emphatically votes for a $40 BILLION aid package for the Ukraine. Thats $7 BILLION more than Biden even asked for.

Still has to pass through the Senate but it should get through easily. That’s nearly $US54 billion so far, more than the US spent on foreign & military aid for the world in 2019. 1% of the entire federal budget. The EU has chipped in about $7 billion to date despite the war being in their backyards. Some people think the US is not fighting a proxy war and some people do. I say follow the money. 

• Like 1

A post containing a link to a known Russian propaganda site has been removed.
Another post with a link displaying unverifiable video content has been removed.

Further, off-topic bickering posts and replies have also been removed

Debate the topic, not each other.

5 hours ago, Fanta said:

It also includes land mines as the US isn’t a signatory to the Mine Ban treaty.

Neither is Russia. To be accurate, they are Claymore mines. They sit above the ground and are command detonated. An operator sets them off when used for ambushes, or they can be set with a trip wire when used for anti infiltration. Russia has a similar weapon as do a few others counties. 

• Like 1

I also wonder who is laying the booby trapped AK 47 magazines around the place? Ukraine army or Russian army or US army?

12 hours ago, Fanta said:

The equipment you referenced is over 30 years old. They were obsolete Moldavan airforce used aircraft parts.  The safe lifespan of a modern aircraft is 20 to 35 years. Some parts, particularly gaskets, systems under pressure or exposed to pressure wear out much faster. SOP is to use NEW parts for  defective or worn parts. The use of used parts on fighter aircraft is  recommended against because the  used part will already  be at the end of its  lifespan. Fighter aircraft must be in top mechanical shape to withstand rigors of action.

The intent of a spare part is to replace an worn out part. In the defense industry, new parts are used, not used parts with unknown pedigrees.  So yes, the USA sent some obsolete former Moldavan airforce parts to be scavenged, but it is a gift that is near worthless. Spare parts on older attack aircraft need to be new otherwise the risk of failure is unreasonably high.   Had the USA sent new MIG and SU parts and equipment, it would be a significant event. However, the USA has shipped obsolete equipment that is close to being useless. The USA does not have an inventory of new MIG or SU parts.

2 hours ago, Fanta said:

Some people think the US is not fighting a proxy war and some people do. I say follow the money. 

Always good advice. 

While technically not a proxy war, since the US  didn’t have Ukraine start the war on their behalf. It’s pretty clear it didn’t take long for the west to treat it as one that’s for sure.

As for the money, it’s about half of what the US was spending in Afghanistan in the same time frame. For comparison sake. 

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

7 hours ago, Vigo said:

The equipment you referenced is over 30 years old. They were obsolete Moldavan airforce used aircraft parts.  The USA does not have an inventory of new MIG or SU parts.

Seriously? First you denied the US even owned the parts. Now you say it is just a bunch of used nuts and bolts. You sound like a press secretary making excuses after being caught out being naughty. 
The MIG-29 is still in service in 5 countries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikoyan_MiG-29

German Vice Chancellor and Economy Minister Robert Habeck accused Russia on Thursday of using energy "as a weapon," following an announcement by the Russian government on Wednesday to impose sanctions on 31 foreign energy companies in retaliation for Western penalties over Russia's invasion of Ukraine. "It has to be said that the situation is coming to a head, in such a way that the use of energy as a weapon is now being realized in several areas," Habeck told reporters at a news conference in Berlin. 

(9) Russia is using energy as "a weapon," German vice chancellor says (cnn.com)

I'm shocked I tell you, who would have ever thought Russia would use gas as a weapon. Oh that's right everyone who isn't German. Honestly can't feel sorry for them. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, EdwardV said:

I'm shocked I tell you, who would have ever thought Russia would use gas as a weapon. Oh that's right everyone who isn't German. Honestly can't feel sorry for them

Germany playing the victim card? lol… like that’s going to work anytime in the next 100 years. To be fair, if you nicked half of the money I had in the bank and expected me to keep selling you stuff I would redirect you to an alternate vendor. The surprise was the Ukrainians “pausing” the gas and the lack of teeth gnashing from Europe about that. Perhaps it was no big deal after all. The Swiss released a couple of billion dollars back to the Russians.

https://www.reuters.com/business/finance/swiss-release-some-frozen-russian-assets-2022-05-12/ 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Fanta said:

The Swiss released a couple of billion dollars back to the Russians.

Good now Russia has no excuse for paying it's bonds. Kicked that can down the road. 

• Like 1