News Forum - Is Thailand no longer a tourist favourite | Thailand Weekend Update

Thaiger

Jay takes you through Saturday’s main news topics in Thailand’s news and answers your questions live. Your views, comments and lots of Jay time. Today’s question is if the Thailand Pass has done more harm than good, and taken the gloss off Thailand’s favoured tourist destination title.

The story Is Thailand no longer a tourist favourite | Thailand Weekend Update as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Everywhere else in Asia welcomes tourists with open arms Thailand puts up a flat hand. It’s too much hassle to book a holiday in Thailand.

Much easier to go to Cambodia and Vietnam plus it’s cheaper and they want tourists the Thai government/Military junta don’t like tourists.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aczan said:

Everywhere else in Asia welcomes tourists with open arms Thailand puts up a flat hand. It’s too much hassle to book a holiday in Thailand.

Much easier to go to Cambodia and Vietnam plus it’s cheaper and they want tourists the Thai government/Military junta don’t like tourists. [I added the emphasis]

They don't like alcohol either.

• Like 2

Drop all the BS and the tourists will be back. Not in great numbers at first, but let's see where we are in 6 months before people start saying Thailand is finished. 

And then let's see where we are when China opens up. Gonna be a lot of pent up demand from the Chinese to travel by next year. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Aczan said:

Much easier to go to Cambodia and Vietnam plus it’s cheaper and they want tourists the Thai government/Military junta don’t like tourists.

It literally isn't

I just flew to Thailand 2 days

My connecting flight with Asiana Airlines wss going on to exactly Thailand, Philippines, Cambodia and Vietnam 

At the transit desk, they had all the requirements for each country 

Thailand had the least of all 4 countries 

But why does facts matter when you can parrot a forum whine and moan......

• Like 2
  • Angry 1

As a tourist, I would want to jump on a plane, and fly to whatever destination  I want. With the least hassle that is possible. Also, I would kinda feel like being welcome. And not being called a dirty disease-spreading farang by some government official. So it looks like Philippines, or Indonesia. Maybe Vietnam . Thailand? In 2 or 3 years. Maybe.

• Like 2

With the price of mama noodles & postage going up , i'm not sure it will be worth the journey any longer. 

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Janneman said:

As a tourist, I would want to jump on a plane, and fly to whatever destination  I want. With the least hassle that is possible. Also, I would kinda feel like being welcome. And not being called a dirty disease-spreading farang by some government official. So it looks like Philippines, or Indonesia. Maybe Vietnam . Thailand? In 2 or 3 years. Maybe.

You will be missed by millions.

19 hours ago, Aczan said:

Maybe you have not followed the latest developpments then. As from today, if you are vaccinated, no test is required either before you fly nor on arrival in Thailand so no more SHA accommodation on the first day, etc.... If you are not, a PCR test 72 hours before you fly is all you need (https://thethaiger.com/news/national/breaking-thailand-drops-pcr-test-on-arrival-no-sha-hotel-atk-test-optional). Now of course, that stupid Thai Pass remains but it looks like it will go on June 1 (https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/tourism/thailand-pass-expected-to-be-dropped-by-june-1). Months after months it has been nonsense after nonsense, very frustrating considering the situation, but it looks like they have made a complete u-turn and finally came to sense. I strongly believe that the Thai Pass will go (for good!!) on June 1, which means that there will be 0 restrictions left, only a PCR test before flying for unvaccinated. But then, from June till October, it has always been the low season, so there is no reason it would change this year. It is by November / December we will be able to tell if tourism is kicking off again, considering it will be known by June that all restrictions are gone, it gives plenty of time for people to know about it and to book some holidays for the next high season. As TheDirtyDurian said it above, it might not be at great numbers at first, but if Thailand does not do another sudden and stupid u-turn (then it could be the end of mass tourism, at least for quite a while), I am pretty sure it will be enough to offer a great relief for everyone working in the tourist industry (as for the Chinese tourists, it is a different story).

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

And then let's see where we are when China opens up. Gonna be a lot of pent up demand from the Chinese to travel by next year. 

Think a lot in Shanghai etc would be happy to have trip to the local supermarket and buy food at present.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Manu said:

It is by November / December we will be able to tell if tourism is kicking off again, considering it will be known by June that all restrictions are gone, it gives plenty of time for people to know about it and to book some holidays for the next high season.

The problem is, one never knows what new requirements they may introduce a week later, which doesn't inspire confidence to plan travel to Thailand in advance.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, astro said:

The problem is, one never knows what new requirements they may introduce a week later, which doesn't inspire confidence to plan travel to Thailand in advance.

I've taken a wee gamble and booked flights for Thailand in December. 

Hopefully everything will be back to pre covid style normal by then but if not I'm assuming there will be very minimal hoops to jump through which I'm prepared to do.

My only worry is I had my booster in February which is likely to be useless come December.

Interestingly the person I booked with at Emirates said flight sales for the Christmas and New year to Thailand have gone through the roof in the last few weeks 

5 hours ago, astro said:

Yes that is what anyone would have thought until then. I believe the Thai pass will go on June 1 and then that’s it. We’ll see…

I just hope the Thais don’t price themselves out of the market trying to recoup lost earning. I was in Phuket a few weeks ago and some bars and restaurants were utterly crazy prices. I know Phuket has always been a place for high prices, but some were utterly ridiculous. £10 for a salad in one place. Lady drinks in Bangla as much as £5:30. 

• Thanks 2

On 4/30/2022 at 4:31 PM, Aczan said:

Please do not say that, because it is just not accurate. Who are  regional competitors to Thailand tourism?  I mean real viable competitors?  They all have more stringent requirement.

You say Vietnam? Please, Vietnam is more difficult than Thailand to enter now. restrictions are much more stringent. This is offical requirement to enter Vietnam, to let's say beaches of Da Nang;

• As per Official Letter No 1265/BYT-DP. foreign arrivals are required to:
    • Take a COVID-19 negative test using the RT-PCR method 72 hours before entering Vietnam OR a rapid Antigen test (no self-test) 24 hours before entering Vietnam. This does not apply to children under 2 years of age;
    • Make a health declaration (screenshot at end of article) before entry and download the PC-COVID app; and
    • In case a COVID-19 test is not taken prior to departure, a test will be taken within 24 hours after arriving in Vietnam. If negative, travelers can travel anywhere within Vietnam; no quarantine required.
  • Tourists entering Vietnam should also have medical or travel insurance that covers COVID-19 treatment with a minimum liability of US$10,000.

Vietnam has reduced restriction to enter Ho Chi Minh only.

Please tell me how this  is soooooooooooooooo much easier than what Thailand has in place?

You reference Cambodia? Please, Cambodia is not a competitor to Thailand. I will nto get into  bashing of Cambodia, but it does not have quailty Tourism that can match Thailand and the place is too corrupt and dangerous for quality tourist.

Indonesia is no better. Even to Bali;

1. Through the airport entrance in Bali or the port of Riau Islands;
  2. Having received a COVID-19 vaccine;
  3. A negative RT-PCR test result;
  4. A short-visit visa or other entry permit;
  5. Proof of ownership of health insurance with a minimum coverage value of USD25.000 which includes financing for handling COVID-19;
  6. Proof of booking confirmation and payment for accommodation while in Indonesia.

Easy to bash Thailand on entry rules, but Thailand has been consistent with the region.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Vigo said:

Please do not say that, because it is just not accurate. Who are  regional competitors to Thailand tourism?  I mean real viable competitors?  They all have more stringent requirement.

You say Vietnam? Please, Vietnam is more difficult than Thailand to enter now. restrictions are much more stringent. This is offical requirement to enter Vietnam, to let's say beaches of Da Nang;

• As per Official Letter No 1265/BYT-DP. foreign arrivals are required to:
    • Take a COVID-19 negative test using the RT-PCR method 72 hours before entering Vietnam OR a rapid Antigen test (no self-test) 24 hours before entering Vietnam. This does not apply to children under 2 years of age;
    • Make a health declaration (screenshot at end of article) before entry and download the PC-COVID app; and
    • In case a COVID-19 test is not taken prior to departure, a test will be taken within 24 hours after arriving in Vietnam. If negative, travelers can travel anywhere within Vietnam; no quarantine required.
  • Tourists entering Vietnam should also have medical or travel insurance that covers COVID-19 treatment with a minimum liability of US$10,000.

Vietnam has reduced restriction to enter Ho Chi Minh only.

Please tell me how this  is soooooooooooooooo much easier than what Thailand has in place?

You reference Cambodia? Please, Cambodia is not a competitor to Thailand. I will nto get into  bashing of Cambodia, but it does not have quailty Tourism that can match Thailand and the place is too corrupt and dangerous for quality tourist.

Indonesia is no better. Even to Bali;

1. Through the airport entrance in Bali or the port of Riau Islands;
  2. Having received a COVID-19 vaccine;
  3. A negative RT-PCR test result;
  4. A short-visit visa or other entry permit;
  5. Proof of ownership of health insurance with a minimum coverage value of USD25.000 which includes financing for handling COVID-19;
  6. Proof of booking confirmation and payment for accommodation while in Indonesia.

Easy to bash Thailand on entry rules, but Thailand has been consistent with the region.

I said it above 

The majority of this board just posts nonsense

They are either really dumb or do it on purpose 

I literally posted facts from actually flying and seeing what the requirements were for all 4 countries to refute one guys nonsene

Then the very next guy posts lies and nonsense again

They are just miserable peope who just want to moan

Most of them probably don't have a penny to spare and just come on forums to pretend they will travel

7 hours ago, JohnC said:

I've taken a wee gamble and booked flights for Thailand in December. 

Hopefully everything will be back to pre covid style normal by then but if not I'm assuming there will be very minimal hoops to jump through which I'm prepared to do.

My only worry is I had my booster in February which is likely to be useless come December.

Interestingly the person I booked with at Emirates said flight sales for the Christmas and New year to Thailand have gone through the roof in the last few weeks 

Don't worry. The booster works 2 ways,immediate immunity to act against infection and  protective immunity against critical care requirement. At worst, if infected you may be sick for a week. The data shows that you will live and recover. The updated booster expected to be released under Moderna and Pfizer mRNA vaccines will include Omicron variant and is hoped can be included with the flu vaccine at same time. You will be able to get a booster in December that will take care of you. 

Also a new vaccine version is being tested from USA government that works for all variants. They are in clinical trials now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2022 at 3:31 PM, Aczan said:

The only difference between Thailand and Cambodia is that it takes years to get an experience of being robbed in Thailand whereas in Cambodia you only need several hours.

Edited by friendofthai
  • Haha 1