News Forum - Why is “Rape Culture” normalised in Thai society | This is Thailand

Thaiger

Thai society has a real problem. Sexual assault and harassment is very common in Thailand. Although there are serious campaigns, social movements or increased legal penalties regarding this crimes. The number of cases of sexual assault or harassment never tends to reduce. Thai society has a problem with Rape culture and Victim Blaming. Today we will try to find out why and look at some of the changes people are trying to make against this way of thinking.

The story Why is “Rape Culture” normalised in Thai society | This is Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Just educate the children, especially girls to say "No" and fight back for their honor from a young age. Only creating awareness and alertness from a young age will protect them. Further it is also the responsibility of the parents to protect them at a young age. There should be some legal reforms in the marriage and divorce system which should make people to think twice. It will not happen overnight....it will take decades. But first Thailand has to be prepared to shed its image of " Heaven for Men on Earth" and eradicate that dark industry completely for being operated under the nose of the authorities.

• Like 2

It sounds like it's getting like the Philipines where they average one rape per hour and it's legal to have sex with a 12 year old girl.

You are spot on about shedding its image. Sounds like the 'authorities are quite happy to turn a blind eye.

58 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Thai society has a problem with Rape culture and Victim Blaming.

Sounds as bad as Rotherham & Rochdale. 

The answer is twofold and quite simple; in Thailand there are very few consequences for bad behaviour and there are very few women in positions of power and respect to act as role-models.

What would occur if a scion of a wealthy family raped a poor girl? Even if it was investigated seriously (doubtful), and even if evidence was collected (doubtful) and even if statements were taken into evidence (doubtful), then the family lawyer/protector would make a few phone calls to get it all binned. And, even if all that occurred properly, it'd be "Smear City" on the reputation of the woman; the women would be shredded on the stand as women were in the old days in the West. Finally, there would be quiet negotiations to buy out the accuser, and given the circumstances, it is hard to argue against taking the cash. Finally, even if (A VERY bid "IF") everything was done properly and by the book, it'd still be... 10 years until all the appeals, etc. were finished.

Who'd want all that?

Thailand needs to change their laws (yes, I know...) to ensure prosecution even if the woman decides not to press charges; in many jurisdictions the State can and likely should be the plaintiff.

And, of course, clean up corruption in the police. Oh yeah, that little detail.

The other thing is that there are few strong female role-models for women to be inspired by, and that is needed to effect change. 

Anyone remember Anita Hill in the US? Who is the Thai equivalent? I don't think we know yet, but I think she is out there.

That said, things in the Kingdom seem better for women than they were when I first visited in the late 80s, and I think that they will keep improving. It seems like in the last while, the anger has reached a boiling point and it is getting harder to sweep things under the rug; witness the case of the Deputy Democrat Leader. A final note, we have all seen a truly pissed Thai woman; they are formidable when pushed too far. Perhaps, just perhaps, we are seeing Thai women finally saying "I am mad as hell and not going to take it anymore".

One case can create the tipping point for change, and I hope we see it soon.

• Like 3

I used to watch Thai TV series a few years back. The stereotypes were telling. The white skinned well to do’s, the brown skinned hired help, the dutiful daughter and the naughty but forgivable son occasionally date raping women who were dressed “seductively” or “deserved it” ’for some slight.  The young men were rarely alcoholics or, heaven forbid, drug users. Just cheeky lads taking by force what they wanted. The mothers never scolded them. And the cops were rarely seen.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Just educate the children, especially girls to say "No" and fight back for their honor from a young age. Only creating awareness and alertness from a young age will protect them. Further it is also the responsibility of the parents to protect them at a young age. There should be some legal reforms in the marriage and divorce system which should make people to think twice. It will not happen overnight....it will take decades. But first Thailand has to be prepared to shed its image of " Heaven for Men on Earth" and eradicate that dark industry completely for being operated under the nose of the authorities.

you are right

just say "no"

the attackers stop immediately

Rape is a vile and cowardly act by men. No real decent man with any morals would even get close to it.

As some have already said, it starts with education and the parents have a significant role in that too. From a very early age girls are sexualised in Thailand. I’ve seen girls as young as 4 being told to pose “sexy” by parents for a picture. I’ve seen similar aged girls paraded in “sexy” clothes on a stage in Central Plaza, while a bunch of male pervert judges look on and anxious parents hope they win the 2,000 baht prize.

The way Thai boys are allowed to seemingly get away with anything in a Thai family is also a major cultural issue. I’ve seen teenagers and young men literally ruin a family by their actions and still the family rally round trying to help them. Is it any wonder they grow up and believe they are invincible? They grow up believing their are no consequences for wrong behaviour. 

One thing I would add. The consequences of change in this area can lead you down the wrong road of many Western countries, where even complimenting a woman at work on her new hair style can lead you to disciplinary action. Like many things discussed on the forum, it’s about balance. Thailand currently has that balance wrong in so many ways, as do many Western countries. 

• Like 2

Well rape is going farther than just with women here and has been for ever. How about all the big shots and their pocket books and brown envelopes and exactly where they got rich from. Forced slave labor, over fishing, control of all the main corporations, rape goes a lot farther than just with girls or women and is ingrained in the way the see things. Keep everyone non educated and poor and this preserves their future. As for the girl and women raping, this is an upbringing as well and is ingrained. 

• Like 1