News Forum - UPDATE: Police arrest taxi driver who robbed drunken foreigner asleep on sidewalk

Thaiger

Following the report of a drunken foreigner who got robbed by a taxi driver while sleeping on the sidewalk in Bangkok, police have already arrested the suspect. The taxi driver said he meant to just wake the foreigner up, but the man’s assets enticed him. Last Sunday, a local Thai news Facebook page reported that a taxi driver had robbed a drunken foreigner who was sleeping in front of a convenience store. His gold necklace, cash, passport and other important documents were all stolen. CCTV footage showed a taxi driver parked his car beside the foreigner, stole his assets and fled, […]

The story UPDATE: Police arrest taxi driver who robbed drunken foreigner asleep on sidewalk as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I wonder how those with criminal records be given permit to operate taxi? Don't they have any system of checking and verification in renewing his taxi permit?

4 minutes ago, Ramanathan.P said:

I wonder how those with criminal records be given permit to operate taxi? Don't they have any system of checking and verification in renewing his taxi permit?

I believe he rented the taxi from the original permit holder. Usually the permit holder/taxi owner will operate the taxi during day time. Once he retires for the day he will then rent his taxi out to anyone interested to earn some money driving it at night time.

Of course letting out your taxi is illegal but a lot of them do this rather than let the taxi sit at home at night time.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Noble_Design said:

I believe he rented the taxi from the original permit holder. Usually the permit holder/taxi owner will operate the taxi during day time. Once he retires for the day he will then rent his taxi out to anyone interested to earn some money driving it at night time.

Of course letting out your taxi is illegal but a lot of them do this rather than let the taxi sit at home at night time.

If this is the case, it’s a very dangerous practice. The Police should undertake road checks at night and if the registered user is not the driver. Then seize the car and crush it. That will stop the practice of endangering not only people in a vulnerable state (although getting that drunk is madness). It will protect the unsuspecting passengers. Let’s face it, they won’t be insured. No public liability , nothing. 

9 minutes ago, BBY said:

If this is the case, it’s a very dangerous practice. The Police should undertake road checks at night and if the registered user is not the driver. Then seize the car and crush it. That will stop the practice of endangering not only people in a vulnerable state (although getting that drunk is madness). It will protect the unsuspecting passengers. Let’s face it, they won’t be insured. No public liability , nothing. 

Pretty much part of Thai culture now --------------   till something goes wrong.

Many years ago, flagged a taxi, agreed the price got in to find no floor, told to sit like a Thai.

13 minutes ago, palooka said:

The taxi driver was charged with committing a nighttime robbery

Must be a difference to a day time robbery.

It is. Harsher punishment for night time crimes. Seriously. I don’t know why but that’a the law. Maybe people that are robbed during the day are partially responsible because they should have been at work? 😆

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Noble_Design said:

Then it is easy...just pull in the owner for illegally letting it for a crime. The taxi becomes one of the exhibit and confiscate as evidence. Once one person is affected, the rest will not do that or will be careful in sub-letting

21 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Isn't it called a 500 Baht note?
<For the hard-of-learning: The text above may contain traces of sarcasm>