English Championship 2021/22 - The Run In

BigHewer

We’re at the business end of the season now and with Fulham already up, ten other teams remain in the hunt - mathematically at least - for the other two promotion spots to the Big Show, either automatically or via the play-offs.

Who’s going up? Which teams would you like to see back in the EPL? Which teams are better off where they are? 

As of April 29th:

38431215-EF98-4E35-8212-F224C670E0AC.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BigHewer said:

We’re at the business end of the season now and with Fulham already up, ten other teams remain in the hunt - mathematically at least - for the other two promotion spots to the Big Show, either automatically or via the play-offs.

Who’s going up? Which teams would you like to see back in the EPL? Which teams are better off where they are? 

As of April 29th:

38431215-EF98-4E35-8212-F224C670E0AC.png

Whilst daring to get shot down for mentioning the recent Premier League short-term failings of Bournemouth, Huddersfield and Sheff Utd, I have to admit to allowing my north country patriotism, maybe too often, to rule the day.

So, come on you Rovers . . . and Boro, too, should those 5 teams above you have a 'Fortnight from Hell' . . . yeah, I like the sound of that😫!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

Whilst daring to get shot down for mentioning the recent Premier League short-term failings of Bournemouth, Huddersfield and Sheff Utd, I have to admit to allowing my north country patriotism, maybe too often, to rule the day.

So, come on you Rovers . . . and Boro, too, should those 5 teams above you have a 'Fortnight from Hell' . . . yeah, I like the sound of that😫!

Seriously, though, it ONLY needs Rovers to beat The Cherries tomorrow and Birmingham City, next Sat and for Luton and Sheffield to lose their 2 games and that would put them in the play-offs, thanks to their better goal-difference than Luton's, whilst Boro have a similar challenge for them to reach those future-defining play-offs.

And, with both Forest and Huddersfield threatening for the Cherries' auto-promotion spot, that does make for an exciting two weekends of footie . . . more exciting than the current PL, for sure 🤔!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, King Cotton said:

Big match tonight QPR vs Sheffield United. You might have to put your northern loyalty to one side and cheer for the Londoners in that one KC, because if Sheffield United win, Boro and Blackburn are probably toast. 🤨

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

You might have to put your northern loyalty to one side and cheer for the Londoners in that one KC, because if Sheffield United win, Boro and Blackburn are probably toast. 🤨

Yeah, that would test my loyalty but, with the Battle of the Roses in mind, when those Yorkies were after our blood, QPR get my support this time! 🤔

• Like 1

And then there were 9…

Sheffield United have one game left, at home to champions Fulham. In the meantime, Boro, Blackburn and the Lions all need to win today to stay in the hunt. 

155E2C5D-BCEA-490C-9C53-E395F6EF6396.jpeg

• Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 6:59 AM, BigHewer said:

And then there were 9…

Sheffield United have one game left, at home to champions Fulham. In the meantime, Boro, Blackburn and the Lions all need to win today to stay in the hunt. 

155E2C5D-BCEA-490C-9C53-E395F6EF6396.jpeg

What a difference a day makes, @BigHewer, especially when you're clutching at straws, as Blackburn Rovers evidently were and now reflecting on their emphatic 3-1 defeat by Bournemouth, who are still looking over their shoulder at Notts Forest who, with their better goal difference and, like The Cherries, with a game-in-hand, could spoil their auto-promotion party.

Meanwhile, down in the play-offs zone, we have Boro and Millwall who are still capable of spoiling Luton and Sheff Utd's parties, unlikely as that is, even should they lose next Saturday's matches, with the former still a game-in-hand and with a much superior GD than Millwall's . . . possible permutations, though, when it really comes to the wire and now with just the 8 clubs involved.

Sorry, Rovers . . . maybe next year 😭!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, King Cotton said:

Sorry, Rovers . . . maybe next year 😭!

All is not lost KC, I still think Boro are in with a shout. I like Chris Wilder as a manager and it would be good to have him back in the top flight. 

Big match coming up on Tuesday, Bournemouth vs Forest ⚽

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So there we have it, Fulham and Bournemouth through to the Big Show, with one more team to join them. The first play-off semi final will be tonight.

Huddersfield vs Luton

Forest vs Sheffield United

I’d like to see Forest go up.

2F6A7BE4-F039-4549-A89F-A79068950031.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Tonight is the big one folks, the most lucrative single fixture in world football (no, I’m not talking about the Champions League Final; that was yesterday)

Huddersfield vs Nottingham Forest in the Championship play-off final at Wembley, kick off 10:30pm Thai time.

Who’s getting a shot at the big time?

• Like 1

Well, there we have it, Forest back in the EPL after 23 years away…

Fulham, Bournemouth and Forest up; Watford, Norwich and Burnley gone, as the geographical center of the EPL lurches (ever so slightly) southward. 

Looking forward to seeing The Tricky Trees in action next season ⚽

• Like 1