News Forum - Anutin says Thailand Pass may be scrapped, if Covid-19 continues to improve

Thaiger

The Covid-19 situation in Thailand is beginning to stabilise and if cases continue to decrease, the Ministry of Health will consider completely cancelling the Thailand Pass, according to Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul. In an interview today, Anutin said the Covid-19 situation in the kingdom is improving. He said the total number of infections, hospitalisations and deaths are all decreasing, as well as the daily use of antiviral drugs. If Thailand continues on this trajectory, Anutin said he will propose for the Thailand Pass to be completely cancelled and would also scrap the suggestion for incoming travellers to take an ATK […]

The story Anutin says Thailand Pass may be scrapped, if Covid-19 continues to improve as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

'We hope that the World Health Organisation will look to Thailand as an example of how to cope with Covid-19 in other countries.'

Well, umm... Most other countries have been completely open for several months now. Bars are open, alcohol can be served, no facemasks, nothing. If you want to travel by plane you will need proof of vaccination, or pre-departure PCR test. That's all.

I do hope most countries won't go back to the situation Thailand is in now.

• Like 6

Oh yes the WHO. They seem to have gone very quiet for months especially Tedros, a bedfellow of XI.

You are so right that Thailand should NOT be used as an example for other Countries. Dragging their heals is being too kind and polite.

• Like 3

Come on Thailand. We know you don't want to loose face. Just scrap it. Nothing to be ashamed off. We can understand your situation. You have been pressured from every angle. Just open up and let nature take its course...

• Like 4

Realistically the Thailand Pass is defunct already, but if you look at the overall of Pnuts use of the Emergency Decree, which gives him great powers, then the demise of the Thailand Pass coupled with the declaration of Covid as endemic is his worst personal nightmare, particularly going into elections.

(The Emergency Decree being based on Covid being a Pandemic situation.)

Interesting times ahead.

• Like 3

Dear Thailand, to take note that effective from 1st May, Malaysia has dropped all Pre-departure & Post arrival tests for travelers. No Covid insurance is required. No mask is needed in outdoor except in indoor and no more self-checking of the "MySejahtera" appplication is required for both vaccinated, partially vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals. It was announced just today evening. "Welcome To Malaysia"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Cool 1

18 minutes ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Dear Thailand, to take note that effective from 1st May, Malaysia has dropped all Pre-departure & Post arrival tests for travelers. No Covid insurance is required. No mask is needed in outdoor except in indoor and no more self-checking of the "MySejahtera" appplication is required for both vaccinated, partially vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals. It was announced just today evening. "Welcome To Malaysia"

Good for Malaysia. Whoopie!!

Too expensive and not interesting.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, palooka said:

Realistically the Thailand Pass is defunct already, but if you look at the overall of Pnuts use of the Emergency Decree, which gives him great powers, then the demise of the Thailand Pass coupled with the declaration of Covid as endemic is his worst personal nightmare, particularly going into elections.

(The Emergency Decree being based on Covid being a Pandemic situation.)

Interesting times ahead.

When the irresistible force meets the unmovable object.

• Like 1

Not really much choice but presume he will renew state of emergency before he goes ahead. The longer he procrastinates the longer it will take for any tourism revival fear he has already lost next high season.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Poolie said:

Good for Malaysia. Whoopie!!

Too expensive and not interesting.

They don't like you either....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

They don't like you either....

Au contrere. I've visited Malaysia almost as much as Thailand over the last 15 years. Done it to death.

6 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Au contrere. I've visited Malaysia almost as much as Thailand over the last 15 years. Done it to death.

So they do like you, but you don't like them anymore?

Unrequited love....😢

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The Covid-19 situation in Thailand is beginning to stabilise and if cases continue to decrease, the Ministry of Health will consider completely cancelling the Thailand Pass, according to Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul.

So does that also mean they will cancel the Emergency Decree? ….. or will they keep that in place until after the election next year?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Unrequited love....😢

Yes, although they do a wonderful Terrys Chocolate Orange of which I availed myself half a dozen. 😀

• Haha 1

On 4/27/2022 at 3:20 PM, Janneman said:

'We hope that the World Health Organisation will look to Thailand as an example of how to cope with Covid-19 in other countries.'

Well, umm... Most other countries have been completely open for several months now. Bars are open, alcohol can be served, no facemasks, nothing. If you want to travel by plane you will need proof of vaccination, or pre-departure PCR test. That's all.

I think they are referring to Thailand’s control of Covid not speed of reopening. Anyone can open quickly. It doesn’t mean that they have controlled it well. If you compare Thailand to UK deaths and infections were much less especially in the first wave. UK couldn’t even get people to wear masks 

8 hours ago, Stevejm said:

I think they are referring to Thailand’s control of Covid not speed of reopening. Anyone can open quickly. It doesn’t mean that they have controlled it well. If you compare Thailand to UK deaths and infections were much less especially in the first wave. UK couldn’t even get people to wear masks 

Sorry but I have to comment when people try to compare countries. It’s simply impossible to compare the UK to Thailand in regard to the handling of Covid. I won’t explain all, I’ll simply list just a few issues which are different.

Near all round summer temperatures in Thailand. 

Outdoor living as a result of above.

Denser population centres in U.K. 

For more daily commuting on trains and buses. 

50,000 test per day in Thailand, up to 1,000,000 a day in U.K.

Definition of death by Covid totally different. 

More docile and compliant population use to being told what to think and do in Thailand.

etc etc  

Thailand really needs to just open up I came in March the paperwork needed was crazy and I had had my vaccinations I've never had covid and hopefully never will but please drop all restrictions or Thailand will be so far behind the other countries I look forward to coming back in October with no restrictions is that optimistic  I hope it's teal life as this is so bad for thecthai but what a race of people how they do manage and survive with so little I am amazed by thier strength of survival

On 4/27/2022 at 6:20 PM, Janneman said:

Once the thailand pass is dropped,next step to immediately start peeling back the nonsensical "public health safety measures- temp checking, closed businesses, mass masking including on TV reporters!! etc.

Otherwise the tourists will be unlikely to come back, but more importantly the locals need to move forward and live with much less fear of Covid.

On 4/28/2022 at 11:17 AM, TheDirtyDurian said:

Unrequited love....😢

Sounds like my relationship with the bargirls--massage grannies and ladyboys...

• Haha 1

On 5/2/2022 at 11:49 PM, BuckyBlade said:

Thailand really needs to just open up I came in March the paperwork needed was crazy and I had had my vaccinations I've never had covid and hopefully never will but please drop all restrictions or Thailand will be so far behind the other countries I look forward to coming back in October with no restrictions is that optimistic  I hope it's teal life as this is so bad for thecthai but what a race of people how they do manage and survive with so little I am amazed by thier strength of survival

It took me 20mins to complete Thai Pass.

Got approved in less than 3 days

When I landed in Thailand last week, they looked at my Thai Pass for less than 20 seconds

You must be computer illiterate if the "paperwork was crazy"

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

It took me 20mins to complete Thai Pass.

Got approved in less than 3 days

When I landed in Thailand last week, they looked at my Thai Pass for less than 20 seconds

You must be computer illiterate if the "paperwork was crazy"

Same with me regarding time to complete the Thai Pass.

Approved in 18hrs

4 minutes ago, Mazz11 said:

Same with me regarding time to complete the Thai Pass.

Approved in 18hrs

I was surprised at how little they checked once I landed in BKK

I thought it would be a constant checking of documents 

Just one booth, took less than 1min

5 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I was surprised at how little they checked once I landed in BKK

I thought it would be a constant checking of documents 

Just one booth, took less than 1min

I hope it's the same for me, I arrive on the 14th May