Thai Pass with PCR Test Upload for Unvaxxed

I'm trying to figure out the timing on the new Thailand Pass opening up on April 29. 

If you are unvaccinated, you need to upload a PCR test 72 hours before departure to get the Thai Pass. However the Thai Pass website says it takes 3-7 days to approve and they recommend at least 7 days before arrival.  How does that timing work out? The earliest I can apply is about 48 hours before departure because it takes a day to get the PCR results. But if the approval takes 3-7 days, it's all for nothing. Would have to cancel airfare and the PCR test would be wasted.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, tsmar said:

I'm trying to figure out the timing on the new Thailand Pass opening up on April 29. 

If you are unvaccinated, you need to upload a PCR test 72 hours before departure to get the Thai Pass. However the Thai Pass website says it takes 3-7 days to approve and they recommend at least 7 days before arrival.  How does that timing work out? The earliest I can apply is about 48 hours before departure because it takes a day to get the PCR results. But if the approval takes 3-7 days, it's all for nothing. Would have to cancel airfare and the PCR test would be wasted.  

At this point, no one knows what is going to happen? In my opinion I think because of the new rules that only involve two schemes and less requirement items. This make the approval process easier since for unvaccinated travelers only need to upload your passport, insurance covered $10k USD, and RT-PCR negative test result. For unvaccinated travelers seeking pre-screen PCR test will be tough! I am sure all travelers will be able to upload all required documents within 72 hours but we don't know how long does it take for TP to approve? But what I would do I will start my application for Thailand Pass at 12.01am on 29th and see what the process would be? Next I would check on my departure flight time then count backward 72 hours to get my earliest test I can do the test and have the test done. Then I would upload my test result (if negative of cause) to TP and wait for the approval. If I didn't get my QR approval code within 24 hours I would call them. I hope your travel will be nice and smooth process! Please share with us how you were doing with the whole process!

Thanks Nick. I will update this. I'm hoping and may have read somewhere that the processing times would be sped up significantly. Especially if there's going to be a major surge of new tourists which I suspect there will be with no more testing on arrival.

No matter how many articles I read about the new rules nobody seemed to answer that glaring question for PCR tests/approval. 

But you're right, I will see the user interface and requirements first and then see what timing i have and hope to squeeze it in as early as possible using every minute of those 72 hours.  They should do like the Philippines does and give the QR code the second you submit the application.

Will wait and find out!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tsmar said:

What a disaster.  First I received errors on the first page - couldn't pick my departure country, none of the drop down fields had values.

1184351244_ScreenShot2022-04-28at2_53_07PM.thumb.png.4a255a4630884b9a4920b4c828d075b0.png

That started working, I finished uploading everything and on the confirmation screen I keep getting API SERVER ERROR on submit after about 30-60 seconds.  I tried 10x already. 

image.thumb.png.acfdc6c0c44b27718ca172876b7ac0a2.png

I did wind up getting two email confirmations with key codes but when I go to check that they were actually submitted since I didn't get a success screen it cannot find the registration:

image.thumb.png.189e6c5f32db5bd60156f8d733458a18.png

After two years of waiting to come back, reading stories of opening, closing, opening, closing, slightly opening, I had hope but after three hours of this clown show website, I give up.  I have my flight booked, my hotel booked, travel insurance purchased, and I don't even know if my registration has been received. I will cancel both now before I lose money. I don't appreciate being made a fool out of. Nice knowing you Thailand

Could you contact TP first before canceled everything? If one out of 10 that you submitted came through then all you need is one, right? I saw many posts that having the problem that you have and since you got your code then you should be fine. The code is mean you are approved. If its me I would send email to confirm and enjoy your travel!

Thanks. The email says:

"The result of your registration will be sent to you within 48 hours (2 days)."

Will give it time.

I applied for the TP a few minutes after the applications opened and i think i received the approved pass in around 5 hours. Dont forget that even though the government has updated and relaxed the entry rules, Thailand is in the low tourist season so the number of visitors are likely to be low. If you are still concerned, i would suggest calling the number on their website or emailing them. 

Hope you manage to sort your concerns and have a fantastic holiday in thailand 🍻

In addition, the Thai Pass i received allowed me to enter the country for a period of 2 weeks rather than from the dates.i was actually due to travel. This may also help give some leeway in terms of testing timeframe that is stated on the website. All the best.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,
Have you figured out the timing to take your PCR test ?
I actually have a similar question. It usually takes about 24h to get the result, meaning that it would leave me 48h at best to get the thai pass. Most website states that to apply we need "RT-PCR test results are issued within 72 hours before departure and uploaded into the Thailand Pass system."
Does that mean I can take the test 4 days before, get the result 24h later thus falling in the 72 hours windows ?
If anyone has some insight on the matter, it would be much appreciated !
Thanks

Does that mean I can take the test 4 days before, get the result 24h later thus falling in the 72 hours windows ?

Doubt it because then it doesn't reflect the test within the 72 hours just when you got the result. It's stupid, you're expected to pay for everything then apply at the last minute and just hope they approve it the next day when they say they can take 5 days. If you risk it and they don't approve it quickly then they'll want you to quarantine if you land there without it. Ridiculous. 

rt pcr test.jpg

Thanks for the insight. That's what I thought, time wise it is quite a risky bet.

Yeah it is, it would probably be ok but it's annoying. Depending where you are there are companies that do PCR tests and give you the results within 3 hours although it's not cheap £80 to £130 in the UK . Also they might scrap Thailand pass completely by July 1. 

Rules are now changing

The only good news for foreign travellers, in yesterday’s briefing, was the removal of quarantine for unvaccinated, or under-vaccinated, inbound arrivals. Now unvaccinated travellers can arrive and undertake an ATK test, under the supervision of a health professional, at the airport. If negative they can go on their way and self-monitor their health whilst in Thailand. But, if they test positive, they must go to a hospital for compulsory treatment, which will be paid for by they compulsory ‘Covid’ insurance (with remains for all foreign arrivals and is set at a value of $US10,000, after being dropped from US$20,000 on May 1).

So, for unvaccinated travellers, although the official 5 day quarantine has now been removed, it could be replaced by an even longer enforced stay at a Thai hospital until you can present a negative ATK test. At the traveller’s cost.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thailand-pass-remains-at-least-until-the-end-of-june

ATK test is better than a PCR test but you better hope you don't somehow get it on the plane or get a false positive or they will try to force you into hospital to work the insurance scam. 

• 2 weeks later...

Rules for unvaccinated as of June 1:

Have to upload a PCR or 'Professional' ATK negative test 72 hours before departure to Thai Pass (not an at home Antigen test). Antigen test is a lot cheaper than a same day PCR, about £30 in the UK. 

It's now written they will process all Thai Pass applications within 48 hours as it is now automated. 

atk.thumb.jpg.66650d686dad55887d9d3258b630db76.jpg