News Forum - BREAKING: Police conclude actress Tangmo died of ‘recklessness’, charge 6 suspects

Thaiger

Following a two month long investigation into the death of Thai actress Nida “Tango” Patcharaveerapong, who drowned in the Chao Phraya River on the night of February 24, police have charged all five of her boating buddies, plus a person who allegedly consulted them, and given a summary of their investigation. In a press conference today at the office of Provincial Police Region 1 in Bangkok, police failed to conclude whether or not the actress’ death was an accident or murder. Instead, they ambiguously claimed that her drowning was indeed caused by “recklessness” of someone on the boat, but did […]

The story BREAKING: Police conclude actress Tangmo died of ‘recklessness’, charge 6 suspects as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Interestingly, one of the charges that the policeman who killed the doctor on the zebra crossing was found guilty of was "Reckless driving causing injury to people or property and reckless driving causing death". 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Transam said:

How can 3 people be charged driving the boat...🤔

If three people are driving the boat you cant prove which one was at the helm when the girl died. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Transam said:

How can 3 people be charged driving the boat...🤔

They were probably all driving at different times. It's not that hard. They probably have CCTV footage of each of them behind the controls. 

• Like 1

For me its pretty obvious there s something not quite right in this case

When I was 17 , two german guys gave me a ride  on the costa del sol in spain but they didn’t tell me it was a stolen car and after being stopped by the guardia civil , they dumped all 3 of us in 1 prison cell for this

I ld do the same in this case .

It brings up a lot of so called truth ….and wounds

Prosecution has rejected this case once already. And this a second attempt to pass the case to prosecution with more evidence and a lot more charges. Prosecution still need to decide whether to accept or reject this version of the  case & charges. 3 of the liars have been charged with recklessness causing death. I wonder who the fall person is this time.

• Like 1

If anyone can find the middle ground or compromise, it’s the Thais. Not an accident. Not murder or manslaughter. No, an ambiguous charge of recklessness. It will allow for maximum flexibility of sentencing over the next 12 months. Everyone associated with this on the boat can relax.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Transam said:

But, only one "may" have caused the death, one, how can you lock the three up when two were not driving the boat.....?

Not knowing how Thai lawmakers interpret marine law I can only speculate based on International law.

The owner of a pleasure craft must be licensed to operate said craft, or designate another licensed 'skipper' to take control pf the vessel.  A 'skipper' may then direct another person to steer the vessel under their supervision.  A licensed 'skipper' is liable for the safe operation of the vessel at all times.

If no-one onboard is licensed they may all be held responsible regardless of who was actually behind the helm.  1st person liable would be the owner, followed by any other person who had control of the vessel.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Transam said:

But, only one "may" have caused the death, one, how can you lock the three up when two were not driving the boat.....?

They were all charged with driving the boat without being licensed and driving an unregistered boat, they were not all charged with being responsible for her death. Try reading the full article. 

6 hours ago, Transam said:

Because no one’s fessed up (have they?) 

Similarly in the U.K. if 3 yobs go into a shop and shoot the owner dead, who pulled the trigger is irrelevant, without a confession, the law says they all pulled it. 

• Haha 1

Perhaps they can't prove more or perhaps there is a reason why this is called "recklessness"

There had to be some reason why Tangmo ended up in the river and I doubt that it was because she fell off while urniating or she decided to go for an evening swim.  

Also, I have operated motor boats since I was a small child.  The term is "propeller"  The spinning prop creates thrust and "propels" water backwards.  

It does not suck objects as the police report states and create suction drawning Tangmo towards it but rather the water propelled from the back of the prop shoves the water and objects away from it.  If Tangmo fell from either right or left of the boat engine which she would have had to, a moving boat would quickly move away from her.  Get in a moving boat and throw out a bouy see how fast the boat moves away from the object in the water. 

The only way that the injuries to Tangmo were from the prop is if she swam towards the engine which is doubtful or if the boat operator put the engine in reverse and ran over her. 
That is not recklessness that is a deliberate act. 

• Like 1

On 4/27/2022 at 10:06 AM, Transam said:

I think that is a very different scenario...🤗

Three people in a car, someone gets run over and killed, they all jumped out of the car, they don't know who was driving, are you saying they will all be charged with driving the car causing death...? 

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying - if no-one fesses up now in UK law you are all equally to blame and you will all be charged equally with the most serious offence. 

• Like 1

afaik, there is no manslaughter charge in Thai law. Recklessness causing death is the closest they have. An acceptable version of the truth might come out if the prosecutors pressure the accused by requesting maximum sentences. The ladyboy, Sand, appears to have done that already. If no-one turns state’s evidence and they all plead not guilty then this saga has a long, long way to go.