News Forum - Not cleaning your air conditioner can cause pneumonia, says Department of Health

Thaiger

Professional air conditioner cleaning services have been swamped with work this week after Thailand’s Department of Health announced that dirty air conditioning units can cause pneumonia. Moist air conditioner units are breeding grounds for bacteria, viruses and fungi according to the department. High numbers of private residences and businesses have requested professional cleaning of their air conditioner units this week following the department’s warning to the public. Moist and dirty air conditioner units create the perfect breeding conditions for a bacterium known as legionella. Breathing in legionella can cause a severe form of pneumonia known as Legionnaires’ disease. Symptoms of […]

The story Not cleaning your air conditioner can cause pneumonia, says Department of Health as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

So "Moist air conditioner units are breeding grounds for bacteria, viruses and fungi according to the department.

Edited by Faz
removed off topic comment.

Only takes a few minutes each to do the screens, then call the a/c guy in once or twice a year for a more thorough clean, system/gas checks, etc.   Got in the habit of checking a/c screens at Thai hotels and resorts and man, there were some that looked as if they'd never been cleaned.  Ever.  🤢

• Like 2

you can buy a spray its either pink or blue from the 7  eleven or major supermarkets, it cleans the ac and you can see the dirt exit the pipe .. about 150 baht 

Generally most buildings don't do maintenance on the ac until there's a problem, In my building we pay for it to get fixed, even though it wasnt maintained at all since the last tenant .. thats just thailand. nothing is maintained as there is no health and safety. In my last three apartments my bathroom door handle has fallen off, in one case the whole bathroom door fell off, hand rails routinely pull away from the wall. Its normal sadly.

• Like 1

Absolutely!

I always get sick in Thailand because of the AC

I always try and stay in hotels that will have central air

The wall units I don't trust to be kept clean enough and get me sick