News Forum - 1,000 Thai students fail exams due to ‘misunderstanding’

Thaiger

Around 1,000 Thai students have failed their exams to get into university after an exam supervisor told the students that they didn’t have to write down their names and serial numbers on their exam sheets. They believed what he had said and followed the instructions. Unfortunately, the Council of University Presidents of Thailand declined to mark their exam papers since they did not follow the official guidelines which require students to write their name and serial number on their exams. After failing and getting zero points for failing to follow the official verification guidelines, a group of students has asked […]

The story 1,000 Thai students fail exams due to ‘misunderstanding’ as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

555 UnBelievable, 

exam supervisor told the students that they didn’t have to write down their names and serial numbers on their exam sheets.

Guinness Book of records 1st page needs vacated for this ! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Definitely no free thinkers in this lot. All sheep. Did they think the paper markers could smell who belongs to which paper by writing alone. Maybe TAT can just assign any grade to random papers, like they do to any official numbers given in their press statements. 555

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Around 1,000 Thai students have failed their exams to get into university after an exam supervisor told the students that they didn’t have to write down their names and serial numbers on their exam sheets.

So their were 1000 students that didn’t have to write their names, but did anyway. … for such a massively big exam, the students obviously were not prepared to sit it as they should have known all requirements …… good thing they are not applying for visa or visa extensions at Thai immigration.

The supervisor responsible misunderstood the students question if they should sign their names before exiting the examination session. They had run out of time and were unable to make any changes. The same situation wasn’t confined to one city or one exam location, but all over Thailand.

or did the students that asked multiple supervisors the same (?) question all over Thailand misunderstand the question they themselves were asking.  ….

I bet the Thai Universities are fuming as this is 1000 potential monetary donors to their institutions they will not get next year.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

If they are that dumb , then  they deserve to fail.  A great weeding out test I would say.  Even I remember having to use my student examination number and that was I was young and stupid, instead of now old and stupid. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

Around 1,000 Thai students have failed their exams to get into university after an exam supervisor told the students that they didn’t have to write down their names and serial numbers on their exam sheets.

If the attribution to the source (Bangkok Post) is valid & complete, the part in bold seems to have sprouted solely from the imagination/creative writing skills of the author of this article.

If the students believed they could hand in anonymous exam papers (no name, no serial Id), they would indeed have gotten the score they deserved.

However that's not what happened: they were told no test serial no. was needed (and worth mentioning: this is the first year that employs multiple sets of tests).

Grading the papers was subsequently refused, not for lack of personal identification, but for not complying with a convenient but not essential technicality.

The story embellishes the source further by concluding that this happened "all over Thailand", whereas the source merely claims there were some other instances of missing test no.'s elsewhere.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Chatogaster said:

The story embellishes the source further

Like the number of students? So was the reporter someone who previously worked for TAT 😂

2 hours ago, kalyan said:

555 UnBelievable, 

exam supervisor told the students that they didn’t have to write down their names and serial numbers on their exam sheets.

Guinness Book of records 1st page needs vacated for this ! 

And not one of those students asked the supervisor how the jury would recognise whose exam sheet it was.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Like the number of students?

No. Taking some liberties is fine, like translating "983 students filed a complaint [for not being fairly graded]" into "nearly 1000 students failed [due to missing serial numbers]".

1 hour ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

So was the reporter someone who previously worked for TAT

Was what? I know TAT uses tea-leaf reading to predict the future while ignoring non-favorable tea-leaf configurations, but I don't see what this reporter/article got to do with that. If it's just about telling a made-up story rather than an accurate, reality-backed story, I can easily put this article/reporter/TAT into numerous other contexts (and so can you ;-)

Edited by Chatogaster
manual HTML edit went wrong

3 hours ago, Chatogaster said:

However that's not what happened: they were told no test serial no. was needed (and worth mentioning: this is the first year that employs multiple sets of tests).

And what is every student told to do when doing an exam of this calibre, …. To read the exam.

Students were notified about the change earlier via the mytcas website, he said, adding that the first page of every subject also says applicants must write down the test serial numbers.

It would be interesting to know the numbers of those that sat the exam with the reported representative got a percentage mark above zero? ie those that put their name and serial number on the exam answer sheet, who followed the instructions on the exam paper.

Hey, if you as student really believe you can pass a test without writing your name anywhere.... Maybe you just don't deserve to pass it. At least they filtered out the ones that were not smart enough to just write it anyway. 

6 hours ago, Chatogaster said:

If the attribution to the source (Bangkok Post) is valid & complete, the part in bold seems to have sprouted solely from the imagination/creative writing skills of the author of this article.

If the students believed they could hand in anonymous exam papers (no name, no serial Id), they would indeed have gotten the score they deserved.

Grading the papers was subsequently refused, not for lack of personal identification, but for not complying with a convenient but not essential technicality.

The story embellishes the source further by concluding that this happened "all over Thailand", whereas the source merely claims there were some other instances of missing test no.'s elsewhere.

Yes. Critics should read what you wrote for as long as it takes for them to comprehend the facts.

Easy to insult and criticize the students, but the exam sponsor had a responsibility to provide clear and explicit instructions. I doubt that the harshest critics have seen the specific Thai exam form.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vigo said:

Easy to insult and criticize the students, but the exam sponsor had a responsibility to provide clear and explicit instructions. I doubt that the harshest critics have seen the specific Thai exam form.

I know what you mean, as I have written and moderated exams in the technical field. If they were explicit …. On the front page …. And majority of participants got that part correct … the question must be asked of the institutions preparing these students that are sitting the exams. Are the students only learning the wrote questions to answer or are they able to complete an exam by following all instructions on the examination paper? Don’t worry, I bet the Thai will save face and there will be a remark of the exams for the 1000 students and they will all pass. Don’t need to see the Thai Exam to know that.

17 hours ago, Pinetree said:

If they are that dumb , then  they deserve to fail.  A great weeding out test I would say.  Even I remember having to use my student examination number and that was I was young and stupid, instead of now old and stupid. 

That would only work if all students were treated the same. I don't think that was the case although the story is a bit confusing. 

You could also argue that the instructions they were given might have been to see if they could follow oral instructions.

• 2 weeks later...