News Forum - Tourism Council of Thailand calls for Thailand Pass to be ditched from June

Thaiger

The Thailand Pass should be done away with from June if the country is to have any hope of attracting 10 million foreign tourists this year. That’s the view of the Tourism Council of Thailand, whose vice-president, Vichit Prakobgosol, says ditching the onerous paperwork could bring in an extra 2 million tour group visitors. According to Vichit, even with additional restrictions being eased from May 1, the Thailand Pass application process still prevents tour operators from bringing more tour groups to the kingdom, due to the time-consuming process of registering each person individually. The Bangkok Post reports that Vichit believes […]

The story Tourism Council of Thailand calls for Thailand Pass to be ditched from June as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

Nothing will change unless these different organizations get rid of their individual views and think the country's overall future....

• Like 3

Having finally started Phuket London. Thai have just announced they are cancelling it. What morons. So easy, say 3 times a week BKK/HKT domestic/International. HKT/LHR/HKT ( or other locations ), then back to BKK with a mix. Convenient for attracting tourists and costs effective for a bankrupt airline to save money on transferring fuel and all unnecessary costs via BKK.

The Bangkok Post reports that Vichit believes scrapping the Thailand Pass from June 1 would mean Thailand could almost certainly see 10 million overseas arrivals this year. '

Yes, almost certainly 🤣

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Chrysal1s said:

Having finally started Phuket London. Thai have just announced they are cancelling it. What morons. So easy, say 3 times a week BKK/HKT domestic/International. HKT/LHR/HKT ( or other locations ), then back to BKK with a mix. Convenient for attracting tourists and costs effective for a bankrupt airline to save money on transferring fuel and all unnecessary costs via BKK.

You are quick to insult TG calling them "morons", but it is obvious that you have no understanding of the airline sector.Airlines have seasonal schedules. The LHR-HKT route is called a winter route. The schedule was announced 14-October-2021 and applied for 31 October 2021 – 26 March 2022. 

Flight routes are managed based upon passenger loads and where the equipment can be used most effectively.  TG like other airlines will deploy its aircraft to those routes which offer the opportunity to maximize payloads.  

Flight prices with all airlines are now nearly double what they were pre-covid.  Also entertainment venues are still closed and the only bars open are those posing as restaurants.  Scrapping the Thailand pass will help, but I think they are being over optimistic about tourist numbers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nick said:

Flight prices with all airlines are now nearly double what they were pre-covid.  Also entertainment venues are still closed and the only bars open are those posing as restaurants.  Scrapping the Thailand pass will help, but I think they are being over optimistic about tourist numbers.

Where? 

Every bar is open in my town without selling food and have been for a while - same Bangkok. 

2 hours ago, Nick said:

Usual supply & demand will return all to normal by high season start Oct. I reckon. Fewer tatty businesses and fewer poor airlines is good. 

2 hours ago, Nick said:

I booked return flights to Bangkok from Perth Australia in early March for May. 

The price for the same flights now have risen about 45%.

Not double but a pretty significant rise.

• Like 1