News Forum - Thailand wants to eradicate malaria for good

Thaiger

Cases of malaria in Thailand have decreased 72% in recent years, but the country’s Department of Disease Control plans to completely eradicate the mosquito-borne disease by 2024. Today, the DDC is observing World Malaria Day 2022 under the theme “Harness innovation to reduce the malaria disease burden and save lives.” A malaria vaccine is under evaluation and is planned to undergo clinical trials in Thailand in the future. Thailand has made impressive progress in controlling and preventing cases of malaria through the ‘National Malaria Elimination Strategy 2017-2026’ initiative. From 2017 – 2021, cases of malaria in the kingdom decreased by […]

The story Thailand wants to eradicate malaria for good as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I have had malaria many times (15+), and I am a great fan of its weight-loss potential.

The first time I caught it, back in Indonesia in the early 90s, I lost about 20 Kilos and kept it off for years due to repeated exposure. Yes, I was one of the lucky ones with good access to medicine, but what a weight loss program!

In the late 90s, I was fortunate to catch it once more in Indonesia as I had gotten 'round' again, and sure enough I wiped off 15 kilos or so and kept it off for years.

Finally, after re-gaining all that lard yet again, I was lucky enough to catch another bout while working in Africa in the mid-noughties and yes, it was that same pesky, persistent 15-20 kilos.

Many, many times I have thought of organizing "Weight-Loss Holidays" for fellow Fatties to Malaria-prone areas, but I was never able to figure out a way to advertise without running afoul of Public Health laws.

Ideas?

It is a world-class treatment in search of an advertising hook...

2 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

I have had malaria many times (15+), and I am a great fan of its weight-loss potential.

The first time I caught it, back in Indonesia in the early 90s, I lost about 20 Kilos and kept it off for years due to repeated exposure. Yes, I was one of the lucky ones with good access to medicine, but what a weight loss program!

In the late 90s, I was fortunate to catch it once more in Indonesia as I had gotten 'round' again, and sure enough I wiped off 15 kilos or so and kept it off for years.

Finally, after re-gaining all that lard yet again, I was lucky enough to catch another bout while working in Africa in the mid-noughties and yes, it was that same pesky, persistent 15-20 kilos.

Many, many times I have thought of organizing "Weight-Loss Holidays" for fellow Fatties to Malaria-prone areas, but I was never able to figure out a way to advertise without running afoul of Public Health laws.

Ideas?

It is a world-class treatment in search of an advertising hook...

You are on to something there, a well rounded foreigner is Michelin 5 star dining for those mosquitos.  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There are still malaria here? I thought dengue fever is more prevalent and deadlier. My number one fear of mosquitoes was never the brown Culex type which spreads malaria but always the Aedes with it's unmistakable black and white striped body

Spay poison (40% deet)on my body everyday for the last 12years  ,while in Thailand with the hopes that , they won’t bite me. Dengue is the last thing Im worried about! 
Those bites in the past got infected a few times after itching! 

Sleep under a mosquito net, the ones that transfer malaria are mostly active between sunset and sunrise.. When not sleeping, use DEET on your exposed skin, usually arms, legs and face.

It is not a 100% guarantee of course but it greatly reduces the chance of being bitten by a malaria transfering mosquito. That same mosquito first has to bite an infected person, and then you. So with very few infected persons the chance of you getting malaria is close to zero