News Forum - What is Anzac Day? Dawn service for Anzac Day at Hellfire Pass in Thailand

Thaiger

Today is the most solemn day in the calendar for Australians and New Zealanders. It’s called Anzac Day. ANZAC stands for the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps. Specifically, the day remembers a dark day in military history when, mostly, Australian and New Zealand soldiers landed at a beach in Turkey, called Gallipoli, in 1915. It was part of an 11-month campaign by British, French, and Russian forces to weaken the Ottoman Empire. The landing at Gallipoli on April 25 of some 16,000 Aussie and Kiwi troops, and the ensuing campaign, ended up as a military disaster with an enormous […]

The story What is Anzac Day? Dawn service for Anzac Day at Hellfire Pass in Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

Anyone in the Western World who does not know about ANZAC Day should be ashamed of their ignorance.  I am a Brit, not from that part of the World, but I appreciate their sacrifice in past conflicts. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Gallipoli an excellent British Plan. 

It was several idiot British Colonels who precipitated the disastrous & tragic loss of ANZAC Life by failing to follow clear orders to immediately take the specified high ground after initial beach landings.

ANZAC Day shows both sides of the Australian character. It is a day of remembrance and also of mateship. One displaying the loyalty and belief offered by those who give their lives in sacrifice for others or return to help educate us on what they learnt and why and help to build a better society.

It is also a day where the character of true mateship is displayed. Whether it be stories of how mates didn't leave mates behind or the simply the friendships built and reinforced over a beer and a game of "two-up".

We remember those who have passed and why. We remember those that have offered their service with pride, dignity and what best they can do when the evil of war faces us. We also don't forget those who may have failed to reach the highest standards expected, what happened and why with no excuses. Not all of us are perfect and from that too we can learn.

To all the Australian and New Zealand Defence Force personnel, men and women who have proudly worn the uniform in the past or are serving now, we remember you all and thank you for your service.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old: Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn At the going down of the sun and in the morning We will remember them

• Like 2

There were two attacks at the same time, one by Australian soldiers and NZ's and one by the British and other allies, both attacks ended up with a large number of casualties.

The UK does not have a special day for this event as we pay homage to all soldiers killed in the wars on Remembrance day.

But Gallipoli 1915 to 1916 was a disaster with 21,000 GB and Ireland soldiers killed, around 9000 Australian, 3000 NZ, 10,000 France, Ottoman Empire 87,000.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JamesR said:

There were two attacks at the same time, one by Australian soldiers and NZ's and one by the British and other allies, both attacks ended up with a large number of casualties.

The UK does not have a special day for this event as we pay homage to all soldiers killed in the wars on Remembrance day.

But Gallipoli 1915 to 1916 was a disaster with 21,000 GB and Ireland soldiers killed, around 9000 Australian, 3000 NZ, 10,000 France, Ottoman Empire 87,000.

Yes something that some Australians are not aware of tragically. I am Australian but my grandfather (a Royal Welsh Fusilier) fought alongside Australians at Gallipoli and those friendships lead to him to speak so highly of Australians that his son after fighting alongside Australians at Tobruk in the Second World War, decided to take his young family to live in Australia before I was born. I was the first Australian in my family, one of many now. My grandfather having survived Gallipoli (although wounded) went on to fight in both battles at the Somme. He survived the war but a few years later took his own life because of what is now called PTSD. 

Lest we forget. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Tim_Melb said:

Yes something that some Australians are not aware of tragically. I am Australian but my grandfather (a Royal Welsh Fusilier) fought alongside Australians at Gallipoli and those friendships lead to him to speak so highly of Australians that his son after fighting alongside Australians at Tobruk in the Second World War, decided to take his young family to live in Australia before I was born. I was the first Australian in my family, one of many now. My grandfather having survived Gallipoli (although wounded) went on to fight in both battles at the Somme. He survived the war but a few years later took his own life because of what is now called PTSD. 

Lest we forget. 

I am sorry to hear that regarding your grandfather.

My father was in the 2nd WW but was based in the London area on anti aircraft guns.

He was also a guard in a camp for captured enemy soldiers, he said he never had any hatred towards the Germans as he found they were mostly ordinary people just like him fighting to survive.

I have never been to Australia but I will soon to be a first time grandfather, my son and his NZ wife are about to have a baby. 

My father held a deep seated hatred of German people. At the end of the war he was in a unit that was sent to Belsen to process the survivors. He told me that it was not what he saw there that made him feel that way. It was the people in the town of Bergen where the camp was, when asked about the camp they claimed that they had no idea what had been going on there. He said that was why he hated them. Having said that he brought up all of his children to never indulge racism or bigotry and accept everyone as equals even if he couldn't. 

6 hours ago, Smithydog said:

ANZAC Day shows both sides of the Australian character. It is a day of remembrance and also of mateship. One displaying the loyalty and belief offered by those who give their lives in sacrifice for others or return to help educate us on what they learnt and why and help to build a better society.

It is also a day where the character of true mateship is displayed. Whether it be stories of how mates didn't leave mates behind or the simply the friendships built and reinforced over a beer and a game of "two-up".

We remember those who have passed and why. We remember those that have offered their service with pride, dignity and what best they can do when the evil of war faces us. We also don't forget those who may have failed to reach the highest standards expected, what happened and why with no excuses. Not all of us are perfect and from that too we can learn.

To all the Australian and New Zealand Defence Force personnel, men and women who have proudly worn the uniform in the past or are serving now, we remember you all and thank you for your service.

General Rommel regarded ANZAC Soldiers as of the highest special standard.

He said that if he had to storm the gates of hell he would use Australian troops to take them and New Zealanders to hold them.👍😎

• Haha 1

Gentlemen.

I have removed one post that was percieved as racism.

An additional four posts have also been removed, that replied to this.

Let's just remember ANZAC day, please.

• Like 1