Jump to content

Is the m**** a big problem in Phuket if you have your own vehicles?


analog
 Share

Recommended Posts

Wife and I are moving back to Thailand and weighing BKK vs Phuket (maybe Kamala area). Lived in BKK for 3 years and that's definitely our home, but want a change of pace.

I recently ran the idea past a good friend who spent a week in Phuket and said that he got f*cked by the local mafia there on several occasions regarding taxis.

Now, I'm not the least bit concerned because we have our own transportation and I don't plan on using the taxis, but my friend said if we have a car we'll still get f*cked on parking.

Are these reasons really enough to do away with the idea of living in Phuket?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've never been to Phuket, but if you're talking about the "taxi" mafia, which from what I have seen is just angry taxi drivers getting mad at grab drivers, it sounds silly to me.

That being said, I would never live in Phuket, sounds like a bunch of lunatics, bad things are bound to happen and I don't want to be around when they do. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, analog said:

Wife and I are moving back to Thailand and weighing BKK vs Phuket (maybe Kamala area). Lived in BKK for 3 years and that's definitely our home, but want a change of pace.

I recently ran the idea past a good friend who spent a week in Phuket and said that he got f*cked by the local mafia there on several occasions regarding taxis.

Now, I'm not the least bit concerned because we have our own transportation and I don't plan on using the taxis, but my friend said if we have a car we'll still get f*cked on parking.

Are these reasons really enough to do away with the idea of living in Phuket?

Just in Patong they tuk tuk guys can be assholes about parking your car

They will say the space is reserved 

But even with that, there are plenty of places in Patong,  parking lots to park your car for pretty cheap 

 

But anywhere else in Phuket you can park fine

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dj230 said:

I've never been to Phuket, but if you're talking about the "taxi" mafia, which from what I have seen is just angry taxi drivers getting mad at grab drivers, it sounds silly to me.

That being said, I would never live in Phuket, sounds like a bunch of lunatics, bad things are bound to happen and I don't want to be around when they do. 

Can you be more specific? We would be entirely avoiding the nightlife scene there, to which I imagine most of the lunacy is restricted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, analog said:

Can you be more specific? We would be entirely avoiding the nightlife scene there, to which I imagine most of the lunacy is restricted.

I've just seen news reports of taxi drivers waiting at clubs/bars for customers getting angry that grab drivers are taking their business / picking up people at clubs/bars. I never lived in Phuket so maybe someone else can chime in.

 

 

Edited by dj230
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, dj230 said:

I've just seen news reports of taxi drivers waiting at clubs/bars for customers getting angry that grab drivers are taking their business / picking up people at clubs/bars. I never lived in Phuket so maybe someone else can chime in.

I usually stay in Kamala

If we go out in Patong

 

When we want to go home we walk up to Rat-U-Thit road, the road a top Bangla 

And there are many cars with taxi signs on them 

Negotiate a price and no issue 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let's say it this way:

Since Oct. I use my bike more and more, again ;-)

Westcoast Parking is possible, but not "always" where you wanna go.

Phuket town is still pretty good (empty) , if the bigger shopping malls/center are your destination, they have parking.

It is not only the transport mafia, also house/business owners are claiming the public space in front of the own shop/house exclusively for themselves. 

As a police officer once got quoted: Of course you can park there. If and when you are brave enough!

But you find out quickly where to park, how far it might get, to the location you wanna be, what times is the right time for the one or the other destination.

Own transportation is a must, on Phuket! But a bike as alternative will come handy, sometimes!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Just in Patong they tuk tuk guys can be assholes about parking your car

They will say the space is reserved 

But even with that, there are plenty of places in Patong,  parking lots to park your car for pretty cheap 

But anywhere else in Phuket you can park fine

It is nasty between  Karon and Patong.  Quite a contrast to to the Mai Khao to Surin area.  I don't know where parking is  easy or cheap in patong unless one is prepared to park at a distance. You can't simply  stash the car at Jungceylon. Trying to park anywhere near the beach road is impossible. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

When we want to go home we walk up to Rat-U-Thit road, the road a top Bangla 

Since that is a one way for "some time", direction south, Kamala is north of Patong, how long haven't you been in Phuket? 😉

The way to go would be to the beach road end (one way, north) of Bangla, there is an equal amount of  TukTuk thugs waiting for business

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Guest1 said:

Since that is a one way for "some time", direction south, Kamala is north of Patong, how long haven't you been in Phuket? 😉

The way to go would be to the beach road end (one way, north) of Bangla, there is an equal amount of  TukTuk thugs waiting for business

You could actually read what I wrote, that would be helpful 

 

We don't get a tuk tuk

We get a car

Unlike most of the whiners on here, I don't cry over an extra 200 baht

 

So we find a car to drive us home

Never had an issue, but again, I don't tend to whine and moan like most on here 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Vigo said:

It is nasty between  Karon and Patong.  Quite a contrast to to the Mai Khao to Surin area.  I don't know where parking is  easy or cheap in patong unless one is prepared to park at a distance. You can't simply  stash the car at Jungceylon. Trying to park anywhere near the beach road is impossible. 

I haven't driven the car much in that area

Mostly motorbikes 

But the few times I have driven down at night I've able to find parking fairly easy

 

I believe the outdoor garage next to Jungcleon across from the hotel is open all night 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

all the good parking places in the street of Phuket are taken by the mafia, and if you dared park on their "space" or territory, they will block your car or attack you,

wonderful Thailand,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Everything in Phuket is a problem.  The place is a crap hole of scams.  Pity its such a beautiful island, spoilt by the people who live there.  Stay clear, there are many other places that are just as nice, where you are not constantly being ripped off, Koh Chang is one such place. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 4/23/2022 at 12:09 PM, butterfly said:

all the good parking places in the street of Phuket are taken by the mafia, and if you dared park on their "space" or territory, they will block your car or attack you,

wonderful Thailand,

Complete falsehead, as usual, on here

 

I was just in Patong last month

Drove up and parked right on the beach road, no issue at all

 

But sure............if the internet says so

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2022 at 9:44 PM, analog said:

Can you be more specific? We would be entirely avoiding the nightlife scene there, to which I imagine most of the lunacy is restricted.

If someone effectively says they don’t know what they’re talking about, wouldn't you just ignore them ? 😩Previous response re. Patong has covered  this. 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By posting on Thaiger Talk you agree to the Terms of Use