News Forum - Chon Buri husband and wife arrested over contaminated sausages

Thaiger

A Chon Buri husband and wife were arrested yesterday for producing contaminated sausages and food. The couple reportedly admitted to the charges of offending various Food Health and Safety Acts by producing unlicensed food with no labels. The two suspects so far are only identified as 38 year old Mr. Sinart, and Ms. Raktawee, who’s age is not reported. Now, Sinart and Raktawee face anywhere from six months to 10 years in prison, a fine of 5,000-100,000 baht, or both. The Consumer Protection Police Division of Chon Buri Police reported that they arrested the couple from a house where they […]

The story Chon Buri husband and wife arrested over contaminated sausages as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

producing unlicensed food with no labels, isn't that all of the country. Who labels there food in Thailand, no market street vendor no one.

What's the real story here, those sausages look fairly run of the mill and bought from somewhere.

More details needed Thaiger, this seems like sloppy reporting.

Or are the food police going to arrest everybody ,,, cos I can find 6-10 vendors selling sausages just like this within 0.5 km of my house.

What is unlicensed food?  That's everyone in Thailand

Edited by alex12345
  • Like 1

Street cart it market vendors make their own. So why is there a difference? Restaurants make their own food as well. Where is the line? Sort of ridiculous. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Street cart it market vendors make their own. So why is there a difference? Restaurants make their own food as well. Where is the line? Sort of ridiculous. 

Gotta start somewhere.  Same as the US peanut salmonella scandal led to improvements in both big and small manufacturers.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/09/21/442335132/peanut-exec-gets-28-years-in-prison-for-deadly-salmonella-outbreak

I’m well aware and extremely well versed of the food industry international laws and in USA, and here in factory. 
Just think there should be a better approach to it here as there are way too many grey lines. The big thing is the story is a bit incomplete and more info is needed for how far they actually did cross the line. Not everyone will have the means and funds to go to a certified level of GMP so there should be something better established to accommodate most of the common folk who dabble in food products and small public sales. Just too many grey lines here. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

I expect that a majority of vendors purchase their supplies from food wholesalers or shops like Makro. One large multinational has a quasi monopoly on the supply of processed meat supplies.  I doubt that unless one is a specialized sausage maker like the French butcher shop I have used, small vendors don't make their own sausages because they don't have the time or equipment to do so.

8 hours ago, alex12345 said:

those sausages look fairly run of the mill and bought from somewhere.

Na, the small ones on the left look "home made" to me.

But does this sausages have anything to do with the case?

-Photo via Wikimedia Common-

Hygiene, or lack of, is a problem here in Thailand, went for a cycle ride the other day, had a puncture and was just a few yards up from one of these roadside stalls that sell barbecued chicken that looks like it's been run over with a tarmac roller. I noticed the vendor going to the toilet (no 2) in the nearby bushes and on his return just carried on barbecuing without a thought about washing his hands. 

Have had 3 very bad cases of Bangkok Belly since arriving here, but none if I cook the food myself. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Now, Sinart and Raktawee face anywhere from six months to 10 years in prison, a fine of 5,000-100,000 baht, or both

These kind of sentence options make me laugh. 6 month to 10 years OR 5,000-100,000 baht or both. Most likely it will be 5,000 baht. £115 or $150. Wow! Now that’s what you call a significant deterrent. Even 100,000 is only £2,300 or $3,000. Basically pay the fine with borrowed money (pay back interest forever) and crack on as normal. 

It’s not about this individual case. It’s too late for people affected by this. It’s about a deterrent for others. 

• Like 1