News Forum - Queen of England gets personalised Barbie doll on 96th birthday

Thaiger

As Queen Elizabeth II celebrated her 96th birthday and 70 years on the throne yesterday — i.e. “Platinum Jubilee” — toymaker Mattel delivered a plastic fantastic present: a special Barbie doll in the queen’s likeness. According to the company, the doll sports a replica of the Queen’s wedding day tiara, as well as blue and pink ribbons after those her father George VI and grandfather George V gave her. These items that adorn the queenly Barbie, which wears a blue sash across a long ivory gown and matching white gloves. With a dazzling crown of diamonds adorning her perfect silver […]

The story Queen of England gets personalised Barbie doll on 96th birthday as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

36 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

As Queen Elizabeth II celebrated her 96th birthday and 70 years on the throne yesterday — i.e. “Platinum Jubilee” — toymaker Mattel delivered a plastic fantastic present: a special Barbie doll in the queen’s likeness. According to the company, the doll sports a replica of the Queen’s wedding day tiara, as well as blue and pink ribbons after those her father George VI and grandfather George V gave her. These items that adorn the queenly Barbie, which wears a blue sash across a long ivory gown and matching white gloves. With a dazzling crown of diamonds adorning her perfect silver […]

The story Queen of England gets personalised Barbie doll on 96th birthday as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Someone at Mattel has a warped sense of humour. I have seen our Monarch mature for a number of decades. I don't recall her looking anything like the photo. Hopefully she will never catch sight of it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

She is also NOT just the Queen of England.

I believe some Commonwealth Countries find it offensive having a portion of their National flag displaying the Union flag.

9 minutes ago, Guevara said:

I believe some Commonwealth Countries find it offensive having a portion of their National flag displaying the Union flag.

Up to them, they are not forced to have it on their flag should they not wish it. One can only assume that it is their wish for it to remain there.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Guevara said:

Unnecessary rather than offensive IMO.  And it's the younger generation, especially immigrants, who see it as needing to change.  For the majority it's still part of recent history though I daresay when QE2 passes there may be a resurgence in calls to change flags.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Unnecessary rather than offensive IMO.  And it's the younger generation, especially immigrants, who see it as needing to change.  For the majority it's still part of recent history though I daresay when QE2 passes there may be a resurgence in calls to change flags.

It won't be the flags that is the impetus, it'll be the money.

Queen Elizabeth has been on the throne so long that few citizens of Commonwealth countries have any memory of anyone other than the Queen on bills and coins. 

When the sad day comes and then bills and coins are minted with Charles' face on them, the Commonwealth will begin to unravel quite quickly. I have nothing against Charles, or frankly nothing in his favour either, but his face is going to lead millions of people to say "What's all this then?"

Bye-Bye Commonwealth.

• Haha 1

I wonder if the Andrew formerly known as Prince has his own inflatable Barbie dolls now he’s confined to his room for the immediate future? I am not referring to a doll of Her Majesty, the Queen of England. 

19 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

It won't be the flags that is the impetus, it'll be the money.

Queen Elizabeth has been on the throne so long that few citizens of Commonwealth countries have any memory of anyone other than the Queen on bills and coins. 

When the sad day comes and then bills and coins are minted with Charles' face on them, the Commonwealth will begin to unravel quite quickly. I have nothing against Charles, or frankly nothing in his favour either, but his face is going to lead millions of people to say "What's all this then?"

Bye-Bye Commonwealth.

True, the Queen has been on Commonwealth banknotes for so long that some of them were around when most forumers here weren't even born, like this one for example from 1953:

old_banknotes_malaya__british_borneo_notes_1526216480_0387616c.thumb.jpg.f2ccd62a1056b66901d8c63e91ccefb8.jpg

1 hour ago, Guevara said:

Some people in some Commonwealth countries will do. 

• Like 1