News Forum - European airlines assess mask rules for flights to United States

Thaiger

After US airlines stopped requiring people to wear masks on domestic flights last week, European airlines are assessing their mask rules for flights to the US. European carriers are now divided over policies on trans-Atlantic flights. British Airways told customers that the requirement to wear masks onboard depends on restrictions in the arrival destination. KLM, a Dutch airline, told passengers it still “strongly advises all passengers” to wear a face mask on board. Virgin Atlantic Airways said that masks would be a personal choice on all flights between the UK and US. A Virgin Atlantic spokesman said… “This aligns with […]

The story European airlines assess mask rules for flights to United States as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Choice ! I got acid reflux, constantly clearing my throat using  a strong exhaling cough,  so  I will dawn on a mask !  
I would hope others who are sick with respiratory illnesses would do the same!

But if not , no problemo!

4 hours ago, MikeW said:

If a person wants to wear a mask that's their choice no one is telling them they can't wear it 

I think she meant that her family had gotten on board under one condition (everybody wears masks) but in the middle of the flight the condition changed dramatically and as a result her kids were less protected against being infected by surrounding passengers.

When I wear a mask I reduce the probability of me infecting other people. And when other passengers wear masks they reduce the probability of them infecting me. Unfortunately, my mask does not really protect me when other people do not wear their masks.

I know that wearing masks is really annoying. I had 9 hours flight wearing a mask, it was awful...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dmitrii said:

I think she meant that her family had gotten on board under one condition (everybody wears masks) but in the middle of the flight the condition changed dramatically and as a result her kids were less protected against being infected by surrounding passengers.

When I wear a mask I reduce the probability of me infecting other people. And when other passengers wear masks they reduce the probability of them infecting me. Unfortunately, my mask does not really protect me when other people do not wear their masks.

I know that wearing masks is really annoying. I had 9 hours flight wearing a mask, it was awful...

Wearing a quality N95 or equivalent mask does offer you a significant level of protection, I recommend that all sensible people wear them. Anybody that still believes that wearing masks is some sort of political statement deserves whatever they catch...

As for this absurd court ruling in Florida, it is premature of the airlines to change their rules as it will certainly be overturned on appeal. 

Edited by Tim_Melb
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Tim_Melb said:

As for this absurd court ruling in Florida, it is premature of the airlines to change their rules as it will certainly be overturned on appeal.

I think that airlines just did not want a lot of conflicts with passengers refusing to wear masks after this court ruling.

Constant fights on board may damage their image. Forcing people too much (and handing the unruly passengers to police) may develop a reputation of a customer-unfriendly airline. Like "book a flight with our company and we will get you to jail".

Edited by Dmitrii
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Dmitrii said:

The airlines never expressly said mask-wearing was contractual.  They made it clear that they were following a CDC mandate which was known to be on flimsy legal ground.  This was clear when the tickets were purchased.  

Caveat emptor.....

It makes sense if airlines have social distancing without masks? They like to squeeze everyone in a pandemic to make profit without a seat in between.

The U.S. has gone mad!  Allowing anti-maskers to infect small children for no good reason.  The "judge" in Florida was deemed "unqualified", yet because we had an idiotic POTUS #45, she got placed by him on a federal court.   Stupid

278862152_374969448009554_8412420182871896275_n.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ExpatPattaya said:

The U.S. has gone mad!  Allowing anti-maskers to infect small children for no good reason.  The "judge" in Florida was deemed "unqualified", yet because we had an idiotic POTUS #45, she got placed by him on a federal court.   Stupid

Gone mad? It should have been certified insane about the time of the Cuba incident.

39 minutes ago, ExpatPattaya said:

278862152_374969448009554_8412420182871896275_n.jpg

Back in the day, I was in a burns room by myself in a quality first world hospital for some time. My room was cleaned for dust daily, it was immaculate. All visitors had to wear full suits & masks and could bring  nothing into the room. My doctors and nurses didn’t wear masks, suits or gloves and travelled all over the hospital. Staff wearing masks is a good thing but needs to be weighed against the loss of a friendly face with a comforting smile. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sprez33 said:

known to be on flimsy legal ground. 

My ass, the judge is an unqualified imbecile that was appointed by an even bigger unqualified imbecile. The ruling will be overturned on appeal to a legally qualified court. 

On 4/22/2022 at 8:09 PM, Tim_Melb said:

My ass, the judge is an unqualified imbecile that was appointed by an even bigger unqualified imbecile. The ruling will be overturned on appeal to a legally qualified court. 

The American Bar Association agrees with you. She may be highly intelligent and good at what she has done in the past but this comment was very concerning:

"Since her admission to the bar Ms. Mizelle has not tried a case, civil or criminal, as lead or co-counsel. Before her appointment, the nominee had only taken part in two trials — both one-day trials in a state court conducted while she was still in law school'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathryn_Kimball_Mizelle

Not what I would personally call great qualifications to be a Magistrate, let alone a Federal Judge on a lifetime appointment.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 2:32 AM, Dmitrii said:

Personally I will continue to wear a mask when on an airplane. But then I was used to wearing one in the past when travelling every week for work, especially during cold and flu season. It was simply to reduce my chances of getting the flu, something that would have caused distinct interruptions to my ability to work.

If someone wants to shout at me about it when on a plane, then they can embarrass themselves like others I have witnessed. I am always amazed at how timely the pressure changes are when flying and how suddenly they have a nasty negative effect on my hearing ability. 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1