News Forum - “Phuket taxis are fantastic”, and other unlikely headlines – OPINION

Thaiger

‘Dog bites man’ would rarely be a headline. ‘Man bites dog’ however IS a headline. In the same way ‘a taxi driver provided customer with a good experience’ isn’t a headline. That’s unless it’s in Phuket Thailand. The Thaiger could pave the road, all the way from Bangkok to Phuket, with stories of the southern island’s faltering attempts at public transport. For one of the world’s favourite tropical island destinations, it has the crappiest, and most expensive options for public transport, compared to, well… even Bangkok.  Phuket has a few 40 year old songtaew open trucks, even fewer buses that […]

The story “Phuket taxis are fantastic”, and other unlikely headlines – OPINION as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Thanks for this truthful report Tim, I will go nowhere near Phuket because of this expose, who do these assholes think they are ? There is a similar thing in Chiang Mai but nowhere near as a blatant ripoff as Phuket. At least there is Grab taxis in CM now which I almost always get when I am there, but the Song Thaew & Tuk Tuk mafia didn't take kindly to them at first, but it seems to have settled down more now.

I used Grab last time I was in Phuket 6 months ago. I found one driver with a VIP 6 seater who was very reasonable and booked him up outside of Grab to do the return airport trip. His prices for air conditioned comfort were better than the little songtaew trucks.

It was still pricey compared to Taxis in Bangkok, but a little bit cheaper than the fares they try to quote you down there.

Phuket is one of those airports where everyone knows they’re going to be nailed by the taxi mob. One of the places where it pays to have a trusted driver you can text or call. “Normal” taxis also gettable by the Family Mart away from the airport entrance if you are prepared to lug your bags that far.

• Like 1

First time in Phuket was in the mid-90's, and it was the same - the best from the airport then were the shared mini-bus services, although you invariably had to put up with obligatory stop at a travel agency for the hard sell on hotel bookings and tours. Back then the tuk tuk's were supposed to display the "regulated" fares - 50 baht for anywhere in Patong invariably became 50 baht per passenger, or "after midnight, 100 baht".

Edited by Grumpish
typo
  • Cool 1

I recon Suchart is talking shite, no chance he’s been doing tours of town for 50 b all this time. This is the perfect time for Phuket to do away will all the  greedy taxi and tuk tuk associations for good, and ban them all from coming back ever again. Then allow ride share apps only so everyone’s clear on the price and they don’t have a chance to cheat. Also drivers can pick up and drop off wherever they want. No more territorial BS. And then put a baht bus system doing loops in every town, hop on hop off, 10/20 b running all day and night. Goodbye drink driving. Goodbye traffic jams. Shame the government don’t give a shit about the citizens or tourists and it’ll never happen. They prefer to appease a group of morons in tuk tuks that kick them back a few baht…sad !

• Like 1

Coming up next - First time visitor to Thailand finds true love and explains why his girlfriend of 2 weeks, and 20 year veteran of the bar girl scene, is different. 

Congratulations to all of you for your recent comments concerning Phuket and its taxi situation.  I have been to Phuket on two occasions and have no plans to return since  I consider the entire island to be a major rip-off but the taxi situation is outright despicable.  The three of you had serious comments concerning this issue but Tim really did an excellent job in his editorial.

There are many other places in Thailand that are much better to visit and I will continue to bad mouth the island to friends who inquire about visiting Thailand.

4 hours ago, ianjmofo said:

. Shame the government don’t give a shit about the citizens or tourists and it’ll never happen. They prefer to appease a group of morons in tuk tuks that kick them back a few baht…sad !

Weirdly, one of the first acts of the Junta after taking over in 2014 was a supposed crackdown on the Phuket taxi cartels. It was a big song and dance for a few weeks, sending the army down there as well. Quite a few arrests and convictions made, and then things returned to the normal within months and the new government moved on to other things.

It's a taxi, for Gods sake. No-one forces you into one.

Hire a car/bike.

Take a bus.

God forbid, even walk!

What a song and dance about nothing. 😀