News Forum - Pilots announce end of US mask mandate mid-flight, passengers divided

Thaiger

4 hours ago, Fanta said:

Twice. Third time - “This is your captain speaking. Would the passenger in Seat 27B please prepare to exit the aircraft. Your parachute awaits. Cabin crew, please arm the doors.” A few viral videos later and all good. You got to be cruel to be kind ;-) 

And back in the real world…….

Of 300 passengers probably 50 or more will have “issues” wearing their mask properly the whole flight. Flight crews are only human and not police SWAT teams.

3 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I don't think it happens that often, IMO

I've probably flown more in the last 2 years than most people

I've only seen less than a handful people blatantly flauting the rule

I’ve done 3 flights in Europe and seen people on each flight. Keep in mind that you only see people on your row, possibly a couple of people opposite in a row either side. You don’t see all passengers.

Anyway, it works if everyone is singing off the same hymn sheet, sadly I find that’s rarely the case :-(

21 hours ago, Henry said:

The problem is if it isn’t a legal requirement to wear a mask then passengers are going to quote that to the airline staff. Staff can restrain you for breaking federal laws such as smoking on board but I suspect it’s a bit harder if they are merely implementing company policy.

You know as well as me how empowered some people feel and how they will insist rather than comply. You’re in a tin can with 300 crazy people.

Are masks medically effective on a plane? Theoretically yes but we’ve all seen people wearing them incorrectly even when the staff re trying their hardest. How many times can you tell someone to pull the mask up over their nose on a 12 hour flight?

The once on board you are legally required to follow all staff instructions, if it's the airline policy that you must wear a mask the you must follow their instructions to do so. If you watch some videos where people are removed from aircraft by police, you will notice that the police ask the staff to ask the passenger to leave the aircraft and then when the passenger refuses the police are clear to act as the passenger hasn't followed instructions. If it happens mid flight the onboard air-Marshall will usually act in combination with the cabin crew to restrain and isolate the passenger until they land. 

On 4/25/2022 at 3:13 PM, Tim_Melb said:

The once on board you are legally required to follow all staff instructions, if it's the airline policy that you must wear a mask the you must follow their instructions to do so. If you watch some videos where people are removed from aircraft by police, you will notice that the police ask the staff to ask the passenger to leave the aircraft and then when the passenger refuses the police are clear to act as the passenger hasn't followed instructions. If it happens mid flight the onboard air-Marshall will usually act in combination with the cabin crew to restrain and isolate the passenger until they land. 

Less than 1% of flights have an “ air marshall “ on board. 

The reality is that restraint is reserved for only the worst cases of disruption and staff on Asian airlines tend to be far more subservient than their European or American counterparts. It’s fair to say though that Asian passengers tend to be more compliant. 

Now the legal requirement to wear a mask has been removed airlines will stop asking passengers to wear masks. They take the path of least resistance.

On 4/28/2022 at 4:46 PM, Henry said:

Less than 1% of flights have an “ air marshall “ on board. 

The reality is that restraint is reserved for only the worst cases of disruption and staff on Asian airlines tend to be far more subservient than their European or American counterparts. It’s fair to say though that Asian passengers tend to be more compliant. 

Now the legal requirement to wear a mask has been removed airlines will stop asking passengers to wear masks. They take the path of least resistance.

That completely depends on whether they appeal the decision as it will almost certainly be overturned if they do

9 hours ago, Tim_Melb said:

That completely depends on whether they appeal the decision as it will almost certainly be overturned if they do

If it even gets appealed, by the time the appeal went through the system, the mandate will be less and less relevant and very unlikely to be brought back IMO

The world is moving towards less restrictions, not more.

People are free to wear them as a a personal risk measure, the days of them being a mandated public health measure are numbered. 

• Like 1

On 4/29/2022 at 6:48 PM, rc1 said:

If it even gets appealed, by the time the appeal went through the system, the mandate will be less and less relevant and very unlikely to be brought back IMO

The world is moving towards less restrictions, not more.

People are free to wear them as a a personal risk measure, the days of them being a mandated public health measure are numbered. 

This is true.

FWIW, I have been on 4 flights within the US (NC, MI, WA) over the past few weeks and I will tell you since the mandates have been lifted, the vast majority of people both walking around the airports and on the flights did not have masks on. I would estimate about 15% of passengers continue to wear masks, and the same for the flight attendants. Most were maskless.

Difficult though it may be to countenance, whatever "polls" are claiming that the nation is "divided" over this issue are politically motivated—it's very clear that most people are over the mask mandates in the US.

Certainly those who wish to continue wearing masks, face shields, etc. indefinitely are free to do so and always will be. They are already in the minority and will soon be finding themselves left behind.

Edited by analog
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, analog said:

This is true.

FWIW, I have been on 4 flights within the US (NC, MI, WA) over the past few weeks and I will tell you since the mandates have been lifted, the vast majority of people both walking around the airports and on the flights did not have masks on. I would estimate about 15% of passengers continue to wear masks, and the same for the flight attendants. Most were maskless.

Difficult though it may be to countenance, whatever "polls" are claiming that the nation is "divided" over this issue are politically motivated—it's very clear that most people are over the mask mandates in the US.

Certainly those who wish to continue wearing masks, face shields, etc. indefinitely are free to do so and always will be. They are already in the minority and will soon be finding themselves left behind.

Damn straight, it's simply logical and theres no way they're winding these back.

Every country will eventually get back to this.

Even the most stringent like China will revert eventually, no individuals really want the masks indefinitely.  

• 2 weeks later...

I only put on a courtesy mask when I enter buildings. Ironically quite a few anxious vaccinated always-masked friends caught covid. We should be free to choose but cover up amply if we cough sneeze.