News Forum - Democrat party leader apologies, ‘accepts responsibility’ for Prinn’s sex scandal

Thaiger

Thailand’s Democrat party leader has publicly apologised and accepted responsibly for the high-profile sex scandal of Prinn Panitchpakdi, who stepped down last week as the party’s deputy leader, as a wave of sexual abuse and rape allegations mount against him. Speaking at a press conference at party headquarters in Bangkok on Monday, commerce minister Jurin Laksanawisit apologised on the party’s behalf, saying he was “deeply sorry” for the alleged actions of his former colleague Prinn. “As the party’s leader, I played important roles in recruiting Mr Prinn… Because the issue arose while I was the party leader, I can’t avoid […]

The story Democrat party leader apologies, ‘accepts responsibility’ for Prinn’s sex scandal as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

The apologies begin for alleged actions. But was he apologizing to his party for bringing this guy in? or apologizing to the alleged victims in an attempt to avoid any backlash from #metoo movement? Either way, things are not looking good for Mr Maybe Rapey Rapey before the trial even begins: 

30 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

To prove that he took the matter seriously and accepted responsibly, Jurin said he had removed himself from the government committees for women’s policies and gender equality, in a display of self-chastisement.

I'm not sure what 'removing himself' will gain in reality? Is it a temporary measure, as it doesn't actually say he has resigned from the committees?

I would have thought he might resolved to stay on the committees, or me being cynical is it a publicity stunt to appear genuinely concerned?

Perhaps he's going to have his hands full with this new committee:
"The party has formed a committee to investigate the allegations pressed against Prinn and seek ways to help any confirmed victims, according to the Bangkok Post"

24 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

I'm not sure what 'removing himself' will gain in reality?

Stepping away from the blind folded firing squad who are armed with machine guns? 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Fanta said:

The apologies begin for alleged actions. But was he apologizing to his party for bringing this guy in? or apologizing to the alleged victims in an attempt to avoid any backlash from #metoo movement? Either way, things are not looking good for Mr Maybe Rapey Rapey before the trial even begins: 

You seriously think that anyone in office in Thailand are worried about the metoo movement ? Remember this is a government whose second in command 'borrowed' millions of baht of watches from a dead person !

Perhaps he has evidence and is trying to limit the damage ? OR has actually done the right thing and removed a rapist from office ? 20+ woman are hardly likely to have ALL fabricated the lot.

7 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

I would have thought he might resolved to stay on the committees, or me being cynical is it a publicity stunt to appear genuinely concerned?

Not sure what removing him will gain ? For real ? A guy who 20+ woman (and counting) have accused of rape or sexual assault and yet he has input into womens policies ? Does that seriously need spelling out ?

Is it beyond the realms of possibility that they ARE genuinely concerned perhaps ? Unlike at least two posters on here, not everything treats rape lightly.

3 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Is it beyond the realms of possibility that they ARE genuinely concerned ? Unlike at least two posters on here, not everything treats rape lightly.

The point i was making was I couldn't follow why " Jurin said he had removed himself from the government committees for women’s policies and gender equality, in a display of self-chastisement."
What effect would that have on what an alleged rapist had done. Or have I missed something?

'a display of self-chastisement'. Surely if he was serious about the what the committees are trying to do why should he remove himself?

1 minute ago, Benroon said:

You seriously think that anyone in office in Thailand are worried about the metoo movement ? Remember this is a government whose second in command 'borrowed' millions of baht of watches from a dead person !

Perhaps he has evidence and is trying to limit the damage ? OR has actually done the right thing and removed a rapist from office ? 20+ woman are hardly likely to have ALL fabricated the lot.

Over 50% of the adult population are female and rape is an understandably universally sensitive issue for all women. Only a political fool would risk getting that many voters off side. Guilty or not, Mr Rapey Rapey has reached his expiry date and had to go. His guilt? How the heck would I know? That’s why we use a legal system. Mob justice isn’t always right. 

25 minutes ago, Fanta said:

Over 50% of the adult population are female and rape is an understandably universally sensitive issue for all women. Only a political fool would risk getting that many voters off side. Guilty or not, Mr Rapey Rapey has reached his expiry date and had to go. His guilt? How the heck would I know? That’s why we use a legal system. Mob justice isn’t always right. 

Only sensitive for women ? Do you not find it abhorrent as a man ?

However I agree - but with accusations, and so many flying around, he clearly needed to be removed from office whilst the legal system goes through the process - but with that much smoke I would have a small bet there's a fire somewhere. 

48 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

The point i was making was I couldn't follow why " Jurin said he had removed himself from the government committees for women’s policies and gender equality, in a display of self-chastisement."
What effect would that have on what an alleged rapist had done. Or have I missed something?

'a display of self-chastisement'. Surely if he was serious about the what the committees are trying to do why should he remove himself?

Because he appointed him - I'm afraid in all walks of life if someone ***** up, the head usually rolls too.

• Thanks 1