Some pics from our house build.

Thaidup

The build was back in 2010, so prices are not worth asking now days. None of the pics are in order, I'm just picking out ones that I like and feel may be of interest to other members.1827247491_2011-06-1314_21_24.thumb.jpg.335b3eff0b3ee01770864e1ef15fc94e.jpg

2011-06-18 11.38.16.jpg

2011-06-18 11.37.33.jpg

Quite a sawmill operation there. I imagine you have some nice looking woodwork in your house. looking forward to see a bit more.

• Like 1

Sadly, a lot of the pics where converted to old photos back in day, if the thread becomes really interesting for people in he future I might sit down and scan them into the PC later on. here are a few more.

CIMG1175.JPG

CIMG1199.JPG

CIMG1198.JPG

I just worked out some interesting figures,

1, The house and land cost around 4.5 million baht back in 2010.

2, I have lived here now for 10 years.

so B 450,000 a year divided by 52 weeks = B 8654 per week

Then if I convert that into Aus Dollars on average at $25, The high was 32 and the low was 22.

That comes to $346 Au a week,.

So for me worked out all OK👌, It is as if I was still working and paying rent, if I lose it all to the missus, well I would have spent that money anyway on rent in Aus. Bit of a simplistic example, but I think it can hold up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Thaidup said:

Sadly, a lot of the pics where converted to old photos back in day, if the thread becomes really interesting for people in he future I might sit down and scan them into the PC later on. here are a few more.

CIMG1175.JPG

CIMG1199.JPG

CIMG1198.JPG

Beautiful 

That is more like the countryside in my wife's village 

And we will be building nice viewpoints as well

Is all that greenery 1 rai or someone else's?

I'm looking for 3-5 rai but that's hard to come by in my wife's village 

They only want to sell 10rai and up

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Beautiful 

That is more like the countryside in my wife's village 

And we will be building nice viewpoints as well

Is all that greenery 1 rai or someone else's?

I'm looking for 3-5 rai but that's hard to come by in my wife's village 

They only want to sell 10rai and up

All the green is the locals young rice, Ours is only 1 Rai inside the fence. our land at that time was just dirt and mud and building material.

Have you considered buying the 10 Rai and then subdividing to get it down to what you prefer?,

14 minutes ago, Thaidup said:

All the green is the locals young rice, Ours is only 1 Rai inside the fence. our land at that time was just dirt and mud and building material.

Have you considered buying the 10 Rai and then subdividing to get it down to what you prefer?,

Yeah we will see

Don't even really want 5rai

Are you in Isaan?

Unfortunately I married a girl who lives where land is expensive!

32 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Unfortunately I married a girl who lives where land is expensive!

What is 10 Rai worth in your area? We bought 4 Rai back in around 2003 for B400,000 was out in sticks 40 km away from the town center Lampang, but we never used it, I felt the wife will be happier closer to family, so we bought this 1 Rai for 200,000,in 2009.in Ban Nok.🙂 But everytime I drive past that 4 Rai block full of trees and jungle I start to wonder what if? Its on a main road close to the Amphoe school,and is slowly getting built up around it. You just have to listen to your gut and if you feel its a good investment go for it, in the end its up to you two.

5 hours ago, Thaidup said:

What is 10 Rai worth in your area? We bought 4 Rai back in around 2003 for B400,000 was out in sticks 40 km away from the town center Lampang, but we never used it, I felt the wife will be happier closer to family, so we bought this 1 Rai for 200,000,in 2009.in Ban Nok.🙂 But everytime I drive past that 4 Rai block full of trees and jungle I start to wonder what if? Its on a main road close to the Amphoe school,and is slowly getting built up around it. You just have to listen to your gut and if you feel its a good investment go for it, in the end its up to you two.

10 rai would be 5-6million 

But we aren't looking for 5-6 years but have the cash

So could jump on any deal

Only issue is her area is pretty much the best area in Thailand for rice 

So not a lot of deals come up 

• Like 1

On 4/20/2022 at 9:27 AM, Marc26 said:

10 rai would be 5-6million 

But we aren't looking for 5-6 years but have the cash

So could jump on any deal

Only issue is her area is pretty much the best area in Thailand for rice 

So not a lot of deals come up 

Have you thought of looking at already established houses on land? It might be a cheaper option even if you have to knock down the house, The cost's of building up or clearing farmland, then water and power supply can get expensive. Plenty of websites available now to check out in the area you want, also bank foreclosures are a good source for property.👍

• 2 months later...
On 4/22/2022 at 8:57 AM, Thaidup said:

Have you thought of looking at already established houses on land? It might be a cheaper option even if you have to knock down the house, The cost's of building up or clearing farmland, then water and power supply can get expensive. Plenty of websites available now to check out in the area you want, also bank foreclosures are a good source for property.👍

I missed this and yes a knockdown is a good idea

My wife saw, what I felt was a hideous house, so I had no interest but it was at a reduced rate and on 2 rai

I didn't event think of a knockdown, which is really foolish on my part because they go on here in Vancouver all the time..........

• Like 2

On 7/12/2022 at 10:52 PM, Marc26 said:

lots of wood!

This may or may not be a simplistic/foolish view, Back when we built the house, the view was that brick houses when knocked down cost money, So build a teak house because when its knocked down we will recover some income from the price of the wood.

If I had to do it all over again, I would build a brick house.🤨

On 7/15/2022 at 10:03 PM, Thaidup said:

This may or may not be a simplistic/foolish view, Back when we built the house, the view was that brick houses when knocked down cost money, So build a teak house because when its knocked down we will recover some income from the price of the wood.

If I had to do it all over again, I would build a brick house.🤨

Well constructed teak houses ca n last 100's of years .... how old are you? 🤒

I wonder if house insurance is available to you at a reasonable premium. 

If you get quotes beware of the small print as some insurers require whole of property value to be covered, yes, including land value.  That can double the premium in some cases.  Another curly one is they will not always cover detached buildings like a carport.

When I finally got a quote for our 'structures' based on sq/m value, the premium equalled the value of the total including land and all improvements ... and even then they reserve the right to only pay up to 70% if their valuation id higher than sum insured.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

Well constructed teak houses ca n last 100's of years .... how old are you? 🤒

I wonder if house insurance is available to you at a reasonable premium. 

If you get quotes beware of the small print as some insurers require whole of property value to be covered, yes, including land value.  That can double the premium in some cases.  Another curly one is they will not always cover detached buildings like a carport.

When I finally got a quote for our 'structures' based on sq/m value, the premium equalled the value of the total including land and all improvements ... and even then they reserve the right to only pay up to 70% if their valuation id higher than sum insured.  

I decided on exposed wiring, at the time and area, so if an appliance shorts out I can cut the supply with a quick plastic handled axe or my wooden handled machete. we do have earth wiring from lightning rods though, but shit happens no matter the country we live in, so I don;t worry about it.👍