ANY Area In Thailand Where Dogs Are Less Of A Nuisance?

JustAnotherExpat

As a guy who likes to ride a pushbike 30-40 kilometers daily, I'm just about to pull the plug and seek life elsewhere if I can't find a place where soi dogs aren't quite a problem. Any suggestions? I am so satisfied with every other aspect of retirement here, I'm just weary of constantly having to battle these animals.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JustAnotherExpat said:

As a guy who likes to ride a pushbike 30-40 kilometers daily, I'm just about to pull the plug and seek life elsewhere if I can't find a place where soi dogs aren't quite a problem. Any suggestions? I am so satisfied with every other aspect of retirement here, I'm just weary of constantly having to battle these animals.

if soi dogs can actually force you out of a country, just because its a bit difficult to use a pushbike, then you have much bigger issues than just dogs.  Many thousand's of Thais and farangs ride quite happily here.  My mate rides the same distances as you, he carries a small taser and a pepper spray and has not yet had to use them. What stops me riding my bike are the lunatics on the roads, not dogs.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JustAnotherExpat said:

Considered a dog deterrent whistle? Or take it up a few notches and buy one of those air soft pistols? Non lethal, silent and stops them in their tracks. I’d learn the Thai word for non lethal or fake gun etc just in case you need to explain. And maybe ask a cop about the legality of carrying one of those around in public. And it would not be fun at all to shoot one of those yapping little mongrels. Not at all /s

25 minutes ago, JustAnotherExpat said:

Body armor!  I feel your pain.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Fanta said:

Considered a dog deterrent whistle? Or take it up a few notches and buy one of those air soft pistols? Non lethal, silent and stops them in their tracks. I’d learn the Thai word for non lethal or fake gun etc just in case you need to explain. And maybe ask a cop about the legality of carrying one of those around in public. And it would not be fun at all to shoot one of those yapping little mongrels. Not at all /s

I have two such pistols but have heard a LOT of blowback about the legality of carrying/using them (after all T.I.T.S.).

18 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

if soi dogs can actually force you out of a country, just because its a bit difficult to use a pushbike, then you have much bigger issues than just dogs.  Many thousand's of Thais and farangs ride quite happily here.  My mate rides the same distances as you, he carries a small taser and a pepper spray and has not yet had to use them. What stops me riding my bike are the lunatics on the roads, not dogs.  

It's not just a bit difficult! Every damned day at least one of these beasts comes at me, snarling with fangs bared, forcing me to stop and hold my ground. If you run, they will give chase and if one of those <deleted> breaks your skin then you're off to the hospital to have it taken care of. Riding my bike is my main reason for living. I don't WANT to have to taser or pepper spray if there is somewhere else I can go - which was my original question.

• Like 1

Just now, JustAnotherExpat said:

It's not just a bit difficult! Every damned day at least one of these beasts comes at me, snarling with fangs bared, forcing me to stop and hold my ground. If you run, they will give chase and if one of those <deleted> breaks your skin then you're off to the hospital to have it taken care of. Riding my bike is my main reason for living. I don't WANT to have to taser or pepper spray if there is somewhere else I can go - which was my original question.

If you are cycling 40ish KMs a day I think the chances of you not encountering any dogs would be quite remote, it doesn't matter where you go in Thailand there are damned dogs.

There are quite a few cycle tracks around Pattaya and surrounding district's, that are pretty much dog free. Around lakes and mountains etc.

Where are you situated at present, there is a very handy app called Komoot which has all the cycle tracks on it and for the basic package it is free, you can download routes to your phone and use it as a GPS. HTH

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you can pedal your bicycle at 20 MPH, you can easily outrun a "normal" dog.  

Dogs can only run 15-20 MPH for less than 5 minutes.  Most of the mongrel dogs around Pattaya will not even follow for 100 meters before they give up .

Water pistols or water from a bottle with holes in it to spread out the spray work sometimes.  Good luck!

1 hour ago, Fanta said:

And maybe ask a cop about the legality of carrying one of those around in public.

I'm sure that if you asked a cop, for a couple of thousand Baht, he would agree that it was; until it wasn't 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

A lot of them hate westerners too.  I'd rather put up with the dogs. 

Really? Never found that to be the case in the LOS...  as a rule I steer TOWARDS any food stalls that have Muslim staff when I can, they usually have the best and most hygenic products.  

• 1 month later...

dog are a serious problem in Thailand. They are in particular a hazard t joggers and cyclists who move at just the right speed for them to chase.

Most people I know, carry a stick by habit. I don't think this is a satisfactory state of affairs.

There are areas in Thailand where garbage is properly controlled and in Muslim areas dogs dogs are considered unclean you can find respite from this problem.

Basically roaming dogs need food so if your area has no accessible garbage and people don't feed them, you'll find the dogs melt away.

4 hours ago, Khunwilko said:

dog are a serious problem in Thailand. They are in particular a hazard t joggers and cyclists who move at just the right speed for them to chase.

Most people I know, carry a stick by habit. I don't think this is a satisfactory state of affairs.

There are areas in Thailand where garbage is properly controlled and in Muslim areas dogs dogs are considered unclean you can find respite from this problem.

Basically roaming dogs need food so if your area has no accessible garbage and people don't feed them, you'll find the dogs melt away. [I added the emphasis]

That seriously gets me hot under the collar when I see people feeding these beasts. Life is tough, sometimes cruel, but if you stop their source of food they will melt away as you said.

Update - I have been using an air gun BB pistol, and when Thais see me shooting these beasts they cheer me on! I even made a casual friend of a woman who sits on the side of the road waiting for her yellow-robed fortune teller to come on by. I've chased off one nasty dog that was making her life difficult.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/19/2022 at 11:50 AM, JustAnotherExpat said:

Many thousand's of Thais and farangs ride quite happily here. 

Actually they don't, as you admit in the next sentence they have to carry pepper spray or a stick etc...... this is not conducive to happy jogging or bike riding.

Edited by Khunwilko

13 hours ago, Khunwilko said:

Actually they don't, as you admit in the next sentence they have to carry pepper spray or a stick etc...... this is not conducive to happy jogging or bike riding.

That's to stop the women from chasing him, just happens to come in handy for the canines too.👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2022 at 8:43 PM, JustAnotherExpat said:

I have two such pistols but have heard a LOT of blowback about the legality of carrying/using them (after all T.I.T.S.).

Brandishing anything that looks like a gun in public is a very dangerous thing to do. Most houses in Thailand have real guns in them, and you could easily find yourself in an unwanted gunfight.

Pepper spray is a much better idea. Stun guns less so because dogs are agile and will dodge if you lunge at them.

Edited by dbrenn
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

what I find alarming is seeing a dog running around wearing a muzzle.....so someone has decided it is a risk - and then a few days later, seeing the animal running around without a muzzle.

• 3 weeks later...

In the South in Muslim communities, the dogs are less prevalent as they are considered "unclean" and not fed or encouraged. I noticed this especially around Ranong too.

Phuket has a relatively low dog population.

Anywhere where garbage is collected and not left lying around.

• Like 1

Missus inherited a house in a secure compound/village all dogs behind fences or leashed as it should be everywhere in Thailand. 

Chaing Mai seem to have less toxiic mutts anyway, there was one out past Chaingmai land near Galare Thong Tower, but that's the only one ever had a go at me. 

On 8/7/2022 at 11:56 AM, DesperateOldHand said:

800px-M9-pistolet.jpg

If you wound a soi dog, you will be liable to any owner for damages - you have also broken the law and the police my get involved. ...and then there is the possibility of collateral damage - kids etc....