News Forum - Ukraine’s Zelensky defies Russia’s ultimatum to lay down weapons

Thaiger

1 minute ago, EdwardV said:

How nice, hope the trade of prisoners goes off ok. Thanks for the update. 

I like how you correctly wrote volunteer where the video calls him a mercenary. Ironically that applies more to the troops being brought in from Syria. You see his hands are always next to each other? Not that there is anything wrong with that. 

All these videos of POWs, from both sides, making statements and calling home to mother, reek of coercion. Nowadays they are just more subtle than the Vietnamese forcing American POWs to condemn the war. There is a Geneva convention article that forbids the use of POWs for propaganda purposes, not that elements on either side are paying any attention to that. 

• Like 2

Many reports  that Putin's combat troops have had little food since war started.

Putin wants to take over entire country after demolishing it. How then will he be able to feed and house the Ukrainian citizens since he has destroyed their homes, businesses, schools and hospitals?

Anyone think that Putin will rebuild Ukraine or take care of the Ukrainian citizens? 

No... he will only move  his troops in to take Ukraine's natural resources. 

• Like 1

So the US will now dictate to China who can and cannot use Chinese credit cards and Chinese payment systems? Good luck with Winnie the Pooh rolling over and accepting that. I will wait for an official statement from either a Russian or Chinese bank to confirm this, not anonymous sources, before I break out the bubbly.
btw: RBC is being bought by a Russian oligarch so I doubt we will hear any further updates on this matter from them in the not too distant future: 

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2017/04/13/leading-independent-russian-media-outlet-confirms-sale-a57714

2 hours ago, Marble-eye said:

So tell me Karl what is your proudest moment of the Russian invasion, now take your time

I will tell you mine. The propaganda from Ukraine and the US has been outstanding. 
“Never has so much been swallowed by so many from so few. This is their finest hour.”

45 minutes ago, Fanta said:

I will tell you mine. The propaganda from Ukraine and the US has been outstanding. 
“Never has so much been swallowed by so many from so few. This is their finest hour.”

I may as well as talk to my plate of sticky rice than have a sensible conversation with you. Please don't ever say you are neutral, we never believed you from the start and every day it even becomes more apparent that you are the biggest Putin apollogist on here.

When you said yesterday that you were not bothered why the Russians invaded a sovereign country like the Ukraine, it spoke volumes about you. Not one bit of empathy for the Russians murdering the Ukranians, very very sad.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Fanta said:

. I will wait for an official statement from either a Russian or Chinese bank to confirm this, not anonymous sources, before I break out the bubbly.

From the article: 

were looking at switching to UnionPay, which is operated by Chinese state-owned banks. 

Actions speak louder than words. You might be waiting a long time for an official statement out of the CCP. Considering they are doing their best to pretend to be Russia’s bestie, any statement would not go over well domestically.

China knows which side of the bread is buttered (and that’s not the one with Russia on it). Don’t worry they will still do everything they can to help just so long as it doesn’t cost them too much. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

From the article: 

were looking at switching to UnionPay, which is operated by Chinese state-owned banks. 

Actions speak louder than words. You might be waiting a long time for an official statement out of the CCP. Considering they are doing their best to pretend to be Russia’s bestie, any statement would not go over well domestically.

China knows which side of the bread is buttered (and that’s not the one with Russia on it). Don’t worry they will still do everything they can to help just so long as it doesn’t cost them too much. 

Union pay has been available in Russia for many years now. It's available at 1.7m ATMs around the world. Including America.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Union pay has been available in Russia for many years now. It's available at 1.7m ATMs around the world. Including America.

Since the article sounds like this is something new, and you claim everything is just fine. Clearly the Russian news service who reported it must not know what’s happening in Russia. 

Of course it works in America, the US isn’t attacking Ukraine. 

• Like 1

HOW BIG IS UNIONPAY IN RUSSIA?

Over 55 million merchants globally accept UnionPay cards as of March 2021. Acceptance coverage is 95% in Russia where over 1.6 million point-of-sale terminals support UnionPay QuickPass payment technology, UnionPay statements showed. More than 4 million UnionPay cards have been issued in Russia, it said.

https://m.investing.com/news/stock-market-news/explainerchina-unionpay-russias-potential-payments-backstop-2807536 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

Not one bit of empathy for the Russians murdering the Ukranians, 

You got that right. 

4 minutes ago, Fanta said:

You got that right. 

If only we could believe you.

You are not bothered why the Russians invaded Ukraine, would you like to illucidate. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

You are not bothered why the Russians invaded Ukraine, would you like to illucidate. 

Probably just as well we don't have to watch that event.

Yesterday the White House put out list of items being sent to Ukraine in their next weapons package. In that list was something called a “Phoenix Ghost drone”, 121 of them. The media didn’t know what they were, it’s never been talked about before. Well now we know, it’s a type of suicide drone: 

The Phoenix Ghost “is a different type of aircraft, it’s a one-way aircraft that is effective against medium armored ground targets,” said retired Lt. Gen. David Deptula, dean of the Mitchell Institute for Aerospace Studies and member of the Aevex board. The drone can take off vertically, fly for six-plus hours searching for or tracking a target, and operate at night using its infrared sensors, Deptula said. Phoenix Ghost has a longer loitering capability than the Switchblade, which can fly for less than an hour, he said.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/04/21/mystery-drone-air-force-new-weapon-ukraine-00026970

My guess is Ukraine wanted something to hunt Russian self propelled artillery and rocket launchers at night. How nice of the Americans to provide it. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

I will elucidate once only. I don’t care why the Russians invaded because I don’t know why they invaded. Simple as that. What is done is done.

The question I have is will history repeat itself? Perhaps oldschooler’s theory that Ukraine is a NATO bear trap is right…..

“Tokyo and Washington negotiated for months leading up to the Pearl Harbor attack, without success. While the United States hoped embargoes on oil and other key goods would lead Japan to halt its expansionism, the sanctions and other penalties actually convinced Japan to stand its ground, and stirred up the anger of its people against continued Western interference in Asian affairs.
https://www.history.com/news/why-did-japan-attack-pearl-harbor

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

Yesterday the White House put out list of items being sent to Ukraine in their next weapons package. In that list was something called a “Phoenix Ghost drone”, 121 of them. The media didn’t know what they were, it’s never been talked about before. Well now we know, it’s a type of suicide drone: 

They are tiny little things! They look simple to launch and difficult to detect & destroy. Putin will not be pleased. 

85E1D78F-80DF-4630-877C-47ACFB2189A9.jpeg.291d78737da52e59e1ea5f95d8e0bc93.jpeg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, EdwardV said:

From the article: 

Unfortunately, the social media and official media of China is still very pro Russia. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Fanta said:

While the United States hoped embargoes on oil and other key goods would lead Japan to halt its expansionism, the sanctions and other penalties actually convinced Japan to stand its ground

Beside the problem being those sanctions were the exact things Japan didn’t have and was the reason they were expanding in the first place. So yes Washington’s actions were doing the exact opposite of what was their objective. 

However the analogy isn’t really applicable. The West didn’t sanction Russia leading up to the invasion (at least no new ones to try and stop it). The reasoning was they didn’t want to inflame the issue. They were more into the appeasement mode at the time (like that’s ever worked, idiots). They offered what little they could and denied what was outside their power to grant. Personally I’m of the opinion Putin had already made up his mind to invade long before, say around 2008. At the very least in 2014. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Fanta said:

I will elucidate once only. I don’t care why the Russians invaded because I don’t know why they invaded. Simple as that. What is done is done.

The question I have is will history repeat itself? Perhaps oldschooler’s theory that Ukraine is a NATO bear trap is right…..

“Tokyo and Washington negotiated for months leading up to the Pearl Harbor attack, without success. While the United States hoped embargoes on oil and other key goods would lead Japan to halt its expansionism, the sanctions and other penalties actually convinced Japan to stand its ground, and stirred up the anger of its people against continued Western interference in Asian affairs.

Well maybe you should try to understand why the Russians invaded Ukraine. This is the key to what our posts are all about and without even attempting to make an educated guess at least, your posts will remain mumbo jumbo. And I would also like to say that I do believe you have a very good idea as to why the Russians invaded but if you admitted it your replies would become even more embarrassing to yourself.

You cannot just brush it under the carpet with worthless expressions like "what is done is done" can't you see how callous that sounds?

My opinion is that the Russians illegally invaded Ukraine because they thought they were an easy target, now had Ukraine been in NATO do you think that Russia would have attacked, of course not, bullies only go for the small boys and wouldn't dream of attacking someone who can fight back.

Finally, do you think that Russia has actually achieved anything by this invasion and was all the loss of lives plus all the barbaric actions been worth it.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

Beside the problem being those sanctions were the exact things Japan didn’t have and was the reason they were expanding in the first place. So yes Washington’s actions were doing the exact opposite of what was their objective. 

However the analogy isn’t really applicable. The West didn’t sanction Russia leading up to the invasion (at least no new ones to try and stop it). The reasoning was they didn’t want to inflame the issue. They were more into the appeasement mode at the time (like that’s ever worked, idiots). They offered what little they could and denied what was outside their power to grant. Personally I’m of the opinion Putin had already made up his mind to invade long before, say around 2008. At the very least in 2014. 

For sure Putin had the “liberation” of the 2 regions on his plans for years. Ukraine conquest? I don’t know. I was thinking the Pearl Harbor scenario in terms of a possible escalation with Russia striking back at NATO because of the sanctions. Previously I dismissed that idea as simply not feasible for Russia, population 140 million. They just doesn’t seem to be anywhere near as powerful as the USSR was. However these US led sanctions targeting “everything” Russian is forcing Russia into a corner. And when your back is against the wall you either curl into a ball or come out swinging. Putin won’t back down on a global stage. imo, he could either takes the 2 regions and declares it a victory or he conquers Ukraine. But does he stop there? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fanta said:

I just knew that was going to be messy.

• Like 2

On 4/20/2022 at 7:54 AM, NorskTiger said:

How convenient of the West to let Ukraineans give the blood and they giving the weapons. How convenient of the West to let two slavic nations go at each other.

Sorry to have to break it to you, but:

1. Russia invaded Ukraine.

2. Ukraine wants to defend itself against Russia.

You are desperately trying to whitewash Russia and pretend like it's everyone else's fault that Russia is doing genocide in Ukraine. Stop.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/20/2022 at 10:30 AM, EdwardV said:

How twisted does your sense of entitlement have to be where you think it’s Russia’s right to attack a sovereign country and murder its citizens. 

This is why I should avoid these topics. Because I instantly think of Iraq, and the invasion that led to a stable country becoming a haven for Islamic extremists and the hanging of bloke that kept all of that away. And now the American tax payer is dumping billions into a new war, FFS they just got out of Aghanastan, And now they have to be funding another war. Howabout letting the American people decide on the funding, have a referendum, IE spend the money in Ukraine or in America?👍

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Fanta said:

Putin won’t back down on a global stage. imo, he could either takes the 2 regions and declares it a victory or he conquers Ukraine. But does he stop there? 

I don't think he will but that's because I still believe this is all about expanding to defendable borders. Basically taking all of the Baltic States, part of Poland and part of Romania. Take part of Ukraine, Russia is till just a country. Take all of Ukraine and Russia an empire again. It's part of the whole Peter the Great, Catherine the great, Putin the ... well you get the picture.  

There was news today Russian Brigadier General Rustam Minnekayev said the new plan is to take all of southern Ukraine to connect to the Transnistria area of Moldova (it was never just about the Donbas). Of course that doesn't make Moldova very happy since that is really part of their country, and why just take Transnistria when you can just as easily take all of Moldova. If true, it means a lot more war. Ukraine will fight to the death over the area since losing access to the Black Sea is economic death for them. The West knows this too (read a LOT more weapons). Keeping in mind that means taking Odesa, which is now heavily fortified. Think Mariupol times five. Scary times brother, scary times. 

Russian General Announces Plan to Invade Moldova after Ukraine (yahoo.com)

• Like 1

I will remind you all that less than two months ago there was a " conspiracy theory" circulating on alternative media that Russia happened to be bombing areas that had "biological weapon facilities". Any one remember the response to a question about that in congress?

• Like 1

News Forum - Ukraine’s Zelensky defies Russia’s ultimatum to lay down weapons

Why not just talk?