News Forum - Over 10,000 partiers at Thai island’s Full Moon Party

Thaiger

The Thai island of Koh Phangan drew 10,000 tourists to its shores for its Full Moon Party yesterday (Saturday), which hadn’t been held since the Covid-19 pandemic first broke out two years ago. Historically, the party was held on the night of, before, or after every full moon. Ferries departing to the island were fully booked, according to ferry operators, and most of the partiers were foreigners. One Koh Phangan local told the Bangkok Post that the high number of tourists meant the party is still important to many people, even though it’s been put on hold for so long. The […]

The story Over 10,000 partiers at Thai island’s Full Moon Party as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

That is a potentially hug covid spreader. 10,000 x 100 = 10 million baht. Hope they can account for every last satang.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

by July there will be no covid, didnt you read the article where they said they would decrease numbers themselves so they could declare it endemic ... just relax and follow the new normal narrative. Cases will never go above 30,000 even post songkran despite the real figures which can clearly be illustrated by the 4 millions cases a week they are posting in the UK. The UK press loves to build hysteria to take our minds of partygate or is that the ukraine that takes our mind of it .... hard to tell these days. . even thethaiger has its own ukraine section, Netflix should just follow zellenskey around with a camera crew, but somehow i think they already are.

Edited by alex12345
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, butterfly said:

indeed, what could possibly go wrong in the middle of a COVID tidal wave? 🤣

Assuming the vast majority of party goers are under 30, the answer is nothing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, alex12345 said:

, Netflix should just follow zellenskey around with a camera crew, but somehow i think they already are.

He's called Ellenskiyy now, since he banned the letter 'Z.' 😃

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Leeshard said:

Indeed, but what about the people those under 30’s may in turn pass it on to, such as their unvaccinated grandmother? 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Leeshard said:

So under 30s cannot catch or spread Covid?????

I went to Pha Ngan a couple years ago but never visited the Haad Rin party area. It just bothers me to see beautiful islands turned into another Khao San rd.

59 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Indeed, but what about the people those under 30’s may in turn pass it on to, such as their unvaccinated grandmother? 

That's a valid point and personally I wouldn't miss events like full-moon parties or Songkran (rather the opposite). However, some people would & do, and they're entitled to that.

For the first 1-2 years, constraining the speed at which the virus spread was crucial in order to:

1. prevent an immediate and structural overload of medical capacity.
  2. develop & distribute vaccines (reducing the need for further medical involvement later on).
  3. improve medical procedures (ensuring less time spent on hospitalizations, as well as a higher recovery rate).
  4. await the dominance of a friendlier version of Covid19 (even though that was just a lucky happenstance).

To me it seems all of those goals have been reached and are not in jeopardy of being at back the forefront of concern again any time soon. Right now, if an unvaccinated [for whatever reason] grandmother succumbs to Covid19, she'll be dearly missed by her family but from a societal perspective just be an insignificant casualty.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chatogaster said:

That's a valid point and personally I wouldn't miss events like full-moon parties or Songkran (rather the opposite). However, some people would & do, and they're entitled to that.

For the first 1-2 years, constraining the speed at which the virus spread was crucial in order to:

1. prevent an immediate and structural overload of medical capacity.
  2. develop & distribute vaccines (reducing the need for further medical involvement later on).
  3. improve medical procedures (ensuring less time spent on hospitalizations, as well as a higher recovery rate).
  4. await the dominance of a friendlier version of Covid19 (even though that was just a lucky happenstance).

To me it seems all of those goals have been reached and are not in jeopardy of being at back the forefront of concern again any time soon. Right now, if an unvaccinated [for whatever reason] grandmother succumbs to Covid19, she'll be dearly missed by her family but from a societal perspective just be an insignificant casualty.

I can’t disagree with anything you have said there. Once a population has been vaccinated (and Thailand claims to be more vaccinated than the U.K.) then it’s time to open up and move on. What else are we waiting for. The vaccines are the best Science has to offer and we can’t wait for an alien race to offer us something better. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The Thai island of Koh Phangan drew 10,000 tourists to its shores for its Full Moon Party yesterday (Saturday), which hadn’t been held since the Covid-19 pandemic first broke out two years ago. Historically, the party was held on the night of, before, or after every full moon. Ferries departing to the island were fully booked, according to ferry operators, and most of the partiers were foreigners. One Koh Phangan local told the Bangkok Post that the high number of tourists meant the party is still important to many people, even though it’s been put on hold for so long. The […]

The story Over 10,000 partiers at Thai island’s Full Moon Party as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I am a bit confused my mate barry who was at the full moon party sent me pics and message stating , MAN ITS GREAT HERE MUST BE 2000 OR 3000 PEOPLE HERE ALL DRUNK AND NOISY SAME AS ME 555  , when i sent him thaiger report of 10,000 his answer was , , THEN MY DEGREES AND MASTERS WERE A WASTE , SEEMS I CANNOT COUNT , OR MAYBE THEY EXAGGERATE  , , OR DRINK MORE THAN ME 5555 LOL 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Thaiger said:

island of Koh Phangan drew 10,000 tourists to its shores for its Full Moon Party yesterday (Saturday)

Just 400 hotels across the island, so many people sleeping in the sand I would guess.  What fun!  piss and sh#t everywhere, vomit, beer, all sorts of body fluids.  That is a real party man, wish I was 30 years younger

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, artray said:

I am a bit confused my mate barry who was at the full moon party sent me pics and message stating , MAN ITS GREAT HERE MUST BE 2000 OR 3000 PEOPLE HERE ALL DRUNK AND NOISY SAME AS ME 555  , when i sent him thaiger report of 10,000 his answer was , , THEN MY DEGREES AND MASTERS WERE A WASTE , SEEMS I CANNOT COUNT , OR MAYBE THEY EXAGGERATE  , , OR DRINK MORE THAN ME 5555 LOL 

There are like 30 beaches on Koh Phanang,  Doubt your friend Barry visited them all on one night!  

10,000 tourists? that would be like the total arrival of tourists over the last 4 months,

don't think so 🤣

Edited by butterfly
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, butterfly said:

10,000 tourists? that would be like the total arrival of tourists over the last 4 months,

don't think so 🤣

Tourists including domestic tourists I reckon. Bangkok has been deserted.

3 hours ago, artray said:

I guess once again, numbers were manipulated. There may well have been 10,000 people visit the island, but it doesn’t mean all visited to attend the full moon party. It’s also possible it was 5,000 visitors to the island and they counted them twice as they had return tickets! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, artray said:

I think it said as sort of over 2 days. Blown up and maybe counted twice. Still even if it was a few thousand that is a lot.

4 hours ago, Pietro said:

I went to Pha Ngan a couple years ago but never visited the Haad Rin party area. It just bothers me to see beautiful islands turned into another Khao San rd.

I've never been and never wanted to go

But I'd imagine the FMP is responsible for bringing more tourists to Thailand in their history than any other factor/event 

28 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I've never been and never wanted to go

But I'd imagine the FMP is responsible for bringing more tourists to Thailand in their history than any other factor/event 

I'd suggest Lost in Thailand has had a greater effect. 

4 hours ago, ExpatPattaya said:

Just 400 hotels across the island, so many people sleeping in the sand I would guess.  What fun!  piss and sh#t everywhere, vomit, beer, all sorts of body fluids.  That is a real party man, wish I was 30 years younger

Absolute rubbish. 

• Haha 1