News Forum - Alleged victim of assault by politician withdraws from Bangkok election

Thaiger

A woman who alleges former Democrat party deputy leader Prinn Panitchpakdi raped her, announced yesterday she was withdrawing from the Bangkok city councillor election. The woman, Anna Vidhyaphum, said in a Facebook post that she wanted to show that her accusation against Prinn is not politically motivated. Anna’s party, The Ruam Thai United party, issued a statement yesterday voicing full support for her. The party also said it supported other victims of sexual violence. Around 20 others have made similar allegations about Prinn, with some reporting Prinn to the police for alleged rape, sexual assault, and sexual harassment. Meanwhile, Prinn […]

The story Alleged victim of assault by politician withdraws from Bangkok election as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I really hope that this young lady changes her mind, decides to run, and wins her seat; she'd be one hell of a potent symbol/role-model for other women in general and for rape survivors in particular.

If it were only her, or perhaps her and one other, I might be a little more cautious in drawing a conclusion, but when there are 20+ allegations/accusations it is time to get out the rusty saw and ensure that the SOB never hurts another woman ever again.

The truly heart-breaking thing that I see is this young woman withdrawing from her electoral race; she is becoming a victim a second time. I hope that she will raise her head and say "Damn the Torpedoes!", win her race, spit in the eye of her attacker and get the ultimate revenge of having a good life and living well.

Best wishes; I'd vote for her if I could.

imo, she has done the right thing to avoid any suggestion of her accusations being politically motivated and to keep the focus clearly on the case. Her name will stay in the public eye because of this case and if she is proven right she will be viewed as an honest and strong person. This could be a short term loss for a long term gain. 

• Like 2

You know, all of these accusers would really enhance their credibility if they said something at the time of the alleged crime instead of much later, you know, when there might be some kind of physical evidence instead of just one person's word against another.  I doubt I would ever convict anyone just because someone said the other one committed a crime.  How could that ever be beyond a reasonable doubt?  

8 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

I really hope that this young lady changes her mind, decides to run, and wins her seat; she'd be one hell of a potent symbol/role-model for other women in general and for rape survivors in particular.

If it were only her, or perhaps her and one other, I might be a little more cautious in drawing a conclusion, but when there are 20+ allegations/accusations it is time to get out the rusty saw and ensure that the SOB never hurts another woman ever again.

The truly heart-breaking thing that I see is this young woman withdrawing from her electoral race; she is becoming a victim a second time. I hope that she will raise her head and say "Damn the Torpedoes!", win her race, spit in the eye of her attacker and get the ultimate revenge of having a good life and living well.

Best wishes; I'd vote for her if I could.

Well said, I agree with your comments 100%

I'm sure it will be difficult and painful but if she has the strength she could be an inspiration to others.    

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

really hope that this young lady changes her mind, decides to run, and wins her seat; she'd be one hell of a potent symbol/role-model for other women in general and for rape survivors in particular.

What are her policies/ideas do they matter? This is the problem with politics these days, people have no idea about a candidate but vote with emotion. Who knows maybe she is a communist, or a fascist, maybe she is nationalist, maybe she is a liar? (fit rite in).

• Like 1

I find the tone of these comments, and the comments on the other threads regarding this story, really troubling; have we really learned nothing in the last few years?

If this were an alcohol-fueled, murky, one-off 'he said/she said' situation, I'd understand the caution. I am a believer in 'Innocent until proven guilty', but when there are 20+ allegations/accusations (so far!), it is pretty clear that we are dealing with a predator. If there were 20+ (so far!) allegations of theft, we wouldn't say "Can we believe the witnesses". If there were 20+ (so far!) burnt shops and the accused was seen in the area with a gas can, we wouldn't say "Can we believe the witnesses". If there were 20+ (so far!) victims of 'call-center scams', we wouldn't say "Can we believe the witnesses". However, when it is a case of 20+ allegations of sex crimes, many say "she needs to prove her innocence" and " maybe she asked for it" and most odious "Whoa!, Whoa!, Whoa! What about the MAN'S rights?"

This guy is/was a very powerful political player from a rich, connected political family in Thailand where that kind of person is essentially above the law. Do you seriously believe that 20+ women (so far!) have accused him of crimes just for the fun of it? Seriously?

This woman, and all the 20+ (so far!) women, have reported a crime and it is up to the authorities to take it from here, not the victims.

This idea that the woman should put her ambitions and career goals on hold because of this predator is vile, and only serves to make her a victim a second time.

Run for office, and best of luck. It'd be good for Thailand to have some politicians who weren't in-bred ex-soldiers.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

I find the tone of these comments, and the comments on the other threads regarding this story, really troubling; have we really learned nothing in the last few years?

If this were an alcohol-fueled, murky, one-off 'he said/she said' situation, I'd understand the caution. I am a believer in 'Innocent until proven guilty', but when there are 20+ allegations/accusations (so far!), it is pretty clear that we are dealing with a predator. If there were 20+ (so far!) allegations of theft, we wouldn't say "Can we believe the witnesses". If there were 20+ (so far!) burnt shops and the accused was seen in the area with a gas can, we wouldn't say "Can we believe the witnesses". If there were 20+ (so far!) victims of 'call-center scams', we wouldn't say "Can we believe the witnesses". However, when it is a case of 20+ allegations of sex crimes, many say "she needs to prove her innocence" and " maybe she asked for it" and most odious "Whoa!, Whoa!, Whoa! What about the MAN'S rights?"

This guy is/was a very powerful political player from a rich, connected political family in Thailand where that kind of person is essentially above the law. Do you seriously believe that 20+ women (so far!) have accused him of crimes just for the fun of it? Seriously?

This woman, and all the 20+ (so far!) women, have reported a crime and it is up to the authorities to take it from here, not the victims.

This idea that the woman should put her ambitions and career goals on hold because of this predator is vile, and only serves to make her a victim a second time.

Run for office, and best of luck. It'd be good for Thailand to have some politicians who weren't in-bred ex-soldiers.

You haven't learned?

Most guys on hate women 

Look at any thread like this and look at the comments 

Just the same "old white guy" BS

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Get real. You acknowledge the accused is the “kind of person is essentially above the law.” And you want the alleged victim to fight him in court and fight a political campaign at the same time? The smear tactics, public scrutiny on her personal life and innuendos to be endured during her political campaign would be relentless. How many “ex boyfriends” and ”lovers” will “coincidentally” pop up during these times to discredit her or portray her as a shameless, gold digging hussy that turned nasty when scorned? The decision not to run was not made solely by her. Her own party would have weighed the pros and the cons of having a candidate in Thailand accusing an influential, connected rival political figure of sexual misconduct during a political campaign. Any political party, especially her own, could have forced into running by declaring their 110% support for her in this matter. They didn’t. As I already said, and you have stated - her ambitions are on hold - not stopped. A short term loss could become a potential long term gain for her politically and for women’s rights in Thailand. Choose your battles wisely and try to fight on only one front. 

Yeah who do you believe in this one? I believe the girl! She’s got a lot to lose in this society either way so I admire her courage. 

• Like 4

in this day and age a proper investigation can find out the truth, cell phone triangulation, receipts etc, It's not like the guy had written everything in Diary 30 years ago and then kept it,now is it.

20 minutes ago, Fanta said:

Get real. You acknowledge the accused is the “kind of person is essentially above the law.” And you want the alleged victim to fight him in court and fight a political campaign at the same time? The smear tactics, public scrutiny on her personal life and innuendos to be endured during her political campaign would be relentless. How many “ex boyfriends” and ”lovers” will “coincidentally” pop up during these times to discredit her or portray her as a shameless, gold digging hussy that turned nasty when scorned? The decision not to run was not made solely by her. Her own party would have weighed the pros and the cons of having a candidate in Thailand accusing an influential, connected rival political figure of sexual misconduct during a political campaign. Any political party, especially her own, could have forced into running by declaring their 110% support for her in this matter. They didn’t. As I already said, and you have stated - her ambitions are on hold - not stopped. A short term loss could become a potential long term gain for her politically and for women’s rights in Thailand. Choose your battles wisely and try to fight on only one front. 

Wow.

You see everything, but understand nothing.

I truly look forward to the day when you and your ilk finally die off.

Have a nice day.

13 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Wow. You see everything, but understand nothing. I truly look forward to the day when you and your ilk finally die off. Have a nice day.

Please enlighten me before I finally die off.  I want to Rip In Peace, confident that the world is being held safely in the hands of the non naive astute that understand what is presently both possible and achievable in Thailand. I’d also greatly appreciate it if you could kickstart my prehistoric memory by answering 2 simple questions before bestowing upon me your achievable solution.  I eagerly await your guidance. Thanks in advance.

What has she chosen to do? 
Why has she decided to do that?