News Forum - Sri Lanka poised to default on its international debt

Thaiger

13 hours ago, Pinetree said:

Chinese propaganda mate

It is indeed. The Hong Kong Trade Office is now under the direct control of the mainland PRC. 

• Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 8:51 PM, Fanta said:

I read that the inflation skyrocketing in Sri Lanka was blamed on the government forcing people to abandon agricultural chemicals to go with environmentally friendly stuff. Absolute disaster, crops failed and kaboom goes the local food economy. Must have been a pretty fragile economy to start with and the crop failures were the final straw. 

https://m.economictimes.com/news/international/world-news/sri-lanka-inflation-hits-record-14-per-cent-as-food-crisis-worsens/articleshow/89055155.cms

Not at all. (Your article doesn't say that either.) The reality is that the farmers could not afford the better quality products. The do what the poor do worldwide, they try and stretch what they can get by  diluting or using it contrary to the manufacturer's  recommended procedure. 

Sri Lanka has been a mess for  years. Now we will see a return to the tens of thousands of economic migrants flowing out.   About 10 years ago Bangkok was the  hub for the flow of illegal tamil migrants to the west. The most famous of which was the Thai operated MV Sun that dumped 500 tamils into Canada in one shot. 

3 minutes ago, Vigo said:

Not at all. (Your article doesn't say that either.) The reality is that the farmers could not afford the better quality products. The do what the poor do worldwide, they try and stretch what they can get by  diluting or using it contrary to the manufacturer's  recommended procedure. 

Sri Lanka has been a mess for  years. Now we will see a return to the tens of thousands of economic migrants flowing out.   About 10 years ago Bangkok was the  hub for the flow of illegal tamil migrants to the west. The most famous of which was the Thai operated MV Sun that dumped 500 tamils into Canada in one shot. 

You are splitting hairs. The switch from one product to another caused the crop failures. 
If the new products cost the same to purchase and apply as the old products would the crop failures have occurred? No. 

15 hours ago, Poolie said:

The BBC hate China. Thats why they say it  differently to a whole bunch of international economists.

They aren't known as the British Biased Company for nothing.

The woman from the BBC was saying she did not know the guy in the video NOT that she didnt know Adrian Zenz. Watch it again. The BBC woman clearly says that SHE was the one who was in contact with Adrian Zenz.

Is everyone in the Chinese government as stupid as this woman? 

1 hour ago, Vigo said:

It is indeed. The Hong Kong Trade Office is now under the direct control of the mainland PRC. 

Says who?

I've just suddenly realised; that I really couldn't give a monkeys about any of this, or SLs problems. I'm more worried about the pigeons nesting in my loft than the issues of this failed State.  

• Haha 1

On 4/18/2022 at 4:15 PM, Poolie said:

Says who?

In case you missed it, the PRC  absorbed all public and parapublic agencies and groups associated with the previously independent  Hong Kong government. 

9 minutes ago, Vigo said:

In case you missed it, the PRC  absorbed all public and parapublic agencies and groups associated with the previously independent  Hong Kong government. 

Yes, I completely missed that!