News Forum - Democrat deputy leader quits party to fight sexual harassment accusation

Thaiger

Thailand’s Democrat deputy leader, Prinn Panitchpakdi, announced his full and immediate resignation from the party on Thursday, in order to fight off sexual harassment claims, which he has rejected. During a press conference yesterday afternoon, he appeared stunned by the charges, but swore on his innocence, which only time will tell. He has claimed that he has no choice but to resign from his role, so he can focus on addressing the allegations… “I insist I am innocent. I deny all allegations. They are groundless. Although what happened is a personal matter, it affects the Democrats. This is not true. […]

The story Democrat deputy leader quits party to fight sexual harassment accusation as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I have two thoughts about this story/issue, and they seem to be slightly in conflict with each other.

"Thailand’s Democrat deputy leader, Prinn Panitchpakdi, announced his full and immediate resignation from the party on Thursday, in order to fight claims of sexual harassment claims, which he is denying."

Once this sort of allegation is made public, the damage is done and the odds of having one's reputation restored are vanishingly small. That is a sad thing; I have no idea who this guy is or whether he is innocent or guilty, but whatever he does for the rest of his life he will be a tainted and stained person, notwithstanding the outcome of any investigation and/or court case.

Secondly...

"As of today, about 20 people have reported to police accusing Prinn of sexual assault, sexual harassment, or rape, according to Khaosod."

I am able to maintain an attitude of "Innocent Until Proven Guilty", the proper way to view things like this, if there is one to three accusers, dependent on the circumstances and perceived character of all parties. However, when there are '20 People', give or take, I have trouble believing that there isn't anything untoward there; as the old adage states "Where There is Smoke, There is Fire".

As our societies adopt greater and greater acceptance of women's claims of harassment/abuse (a good thing), we need to find a way whereby an allegation can be made, investigated, and adjudicated without harming the accused.

I have no idea how to do that. 

Suggestions?