News Forum - Thailand deploys troops to Khao San Road to combat water splashing tourists

Thaiger

Call in the troops! That’s been the response from Thailand’s government after reports of foreign tourists engaging in dangerous water splashing behavior spread like wildfire on social media at the start of the Songkran festival yesterday. Bangkok authorities have reportedly deployed the military, in addition to police and city officials, to enforce the nation’s water-splashing ban at Khao San Road today. In a bid to reduce the risk of new Covid-19 infections during the Thai New Year, the Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration, or CCSA, announced the water-splashing ban last month. But it appears that many foreigners, as well as […]

The story Thailand deploys troops to Khao San Road to combat water splashing tourists as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Of course, it soreads on "social" medias. Thais stay, by order, mostly away from there tradition, and foreigners still spash around? Of course, that creates tension.

20 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

Of course, it soreads on "social" medias. Thais stay, by order, mostly away from there tradition, and foreigners still spash around? Of course, that creates tension.

Who is enabling the foreigners? Burmese? 😎

• Like 2

Meh! To canal water, or shitty Salim beer, there are far safer substances to play with. No matter what the WHO goons propaganda says.

Get with the new national program chaps, get a cash-strapped streetsmart shag from any consenting adult gender to your liking and get a room. 

Forget water unless it's potable.

Then simply decide to...

Blow or Boof! (Slamming is bad Banging is good mmkay!)

You'll never do Songkran any other way again. 

Promise! 😜 

Edited by Zorba_the_Geek
  • Haha 1

Can someone say Regime State? If they had safety for the country in mind then they would not have openly pushed for mass travel with the Omicron raging how it is. This is all about control and nothing about safety. CM is a hot omicron spot at the moment. 

• Like 1

Gee Mr. PM or whomever ordered the troops and all the cops in, maybe you should redeploy those soldiers to stop all the craziness on the roads that is ACTUALLY killing people!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, PapayaBokBok said:

Well what do you expect from dirty farangs???   Now freshy clean!!!!!

Not quite as the bubbles were cancelled.

11 hours ago, Zorba_the_Geek said:

Who is enabling the foreigners? Burmese? 😎

This. Right here. Unless the farangs are buying bottled water to load their super soakers, where are they getting the water from? 

3 hours ago, Fanta said:

This. Right here. Unless the farangs are buying bottled water to load their super soakers, where are they getting the water from? 

Any number of sources I suspect. Some businesses have small barrels of water out for refilling. The same water that comes from a tap that you normally shower with

As usual the government are on a power trip. There is no science supporting this ban on fun, they just can't let go.

This will go on a long time yet here.

Edited by Grumpyoldman
Typo
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Grumpyoldman said:

As usual the government are on a power trip. There is no science supporting this ban on fun, they just can't let go.

This will go on a long time yet here.

Yes I agree. You get the sense that the government are spending more time looking for ways to keep restrictions rather than end them. I’ve said before, the key issue here is maintaining the “State of Emergency”. They need to keep this going for as long as possible. Certainly to get them closer to the next election. If they are planning an election in November then they will want to keep SOE until the end of July at least.

57 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Yes I agree. You get the sense that the government are spending more time looking for ways to keep restrictions rather than end them. I’ve said before, the key issue here is maintaining the “State of Emergency”. They need to keep this going for as long as possible. Certainly to get them closer to the next election. If they are planning an election in November then they will want to keep SOE until the end of July at least.

Contrary to several views on here, I quite like this government and they seem far more switched on to their ambitions and the future of this Nation than Boris and his load of muppets, or the senile geriatric in the White House, for their countries .  As for Songkran and water splashing, its a stupid unnecessary activity that deserves to be banned, unless at lakes, parks, pools  and the sea side. 

3 hours ago, Pinetree said:

Contrary to several views on here, I quite like this government and they seem far more switched on to their ambitions and the future of this Nation than Boris and his load of muppets, or the senile geriatric in the White House, for their countries .  As for Songkran and water splashing, its a stupid unnecessary activity that deserves to be banned, unless at lakes, parks, pools  and the sea side. 

Interesting opinion. What is it you particularly like about this government. Can you point to anything specific they have done or doing which makes you like them. Not sure what Boris or Biden have to do with Thailand but never mind. Be interested to understand what it is you like about Mr Prayut and his government? 

Just stop the local Thais from selling the water guns at a 200% mark up and having buckets of water available. Unless the tourists have brought along a 3D printer to make their own guns and use bottled water from 7/11 ??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

Interesting opinion. What is it you particularly like about this government. Can you point to anything specific they have done or doing which makes you like them. Not sure what Boris or Biden have to do with Thailand but never mind. Be interested to understand what it is you like about Mr Prayut and his government? 

I think that they have handled the pandemic time as well as any government could have done in the circumstances. I like their policy for rice crops/ pricing, which does impact my Thai family directly, they are doing a much better job in that area than the corrupt Taksin gov ever did. I think that given the will, they are probably the only type of government that could ever sort out this pathetic police force.  Not sure they ever will, but they do have the wherewithal to do it if they ever get around to it.

I have no problem with a benign Military, with military trained people, running things, under a Constitutional Monarchy.  They will tend to be far more focused, objective/mission  driven than civilian led governments, but I know that this is not a popular view.  All in all, I am comfortable living under their jurisdiction, whereas, I'm not at all sure that I would be in any fully civilian run Nation, at least not these civilian politicians, who seem to be largely a bunch of crooks and chancers, then again, aren't all professional politicos? 

49 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

I think that they have handled the pandemic time as well as any government could have done in the circumstances. I like their policy for rice crops/ pricing, which does impact my Thai family directly, they are doing a much better job in that area than the corrupt Taksin gov ever did. I think that given the will, they are probably the only type of government that could ever sort out this pathetic police force.  Not sure they ever will, but they do have the wherewithal to do it if they ever get around to it.

I have no problem with a benign Military, with military trained people, running things, under a Constitutional Monarchy.  They will tend to be far more focused, objective/mission  driven than civilian led governments, but I know that this is not a popular view.  All in all, I am comfortable living under their jurisdiction, whereas, I'm not at all sure that I would be in any fully civilian run Nation, at least not these civilian politicians, who seem to be largely a bunch of crooks and chancers, then again, aren't all professional politicos? 

Fair enough. There is a lot there I could disagree and comment on. However, just a few  points that I struggle hard to agree with, and that’s the suggestion that Civilian politicians are a bunch of crooks while this Thai government aren’t. I find that too much to swallow. Corrupt to the core the lot of them is my view. They have had 8 years to sort out the police and done nothing as far as I can see. They’ve had 8 years to drive the economy forward and even before Covid they failed. They’ve had 8 years to improve road safety and done nothing. In fact I’m struggling to think of anything they’ve done apart from make it harder for people to protest about things they don’t like and silence anyone who disagrees with them, including strengthening computer crimes and internet crimes and toughening the section 112.  In addition they have structured the way politicians are elected to favour them and made the upper house essentially a puppet of the military government. 

6 hours ago, Pinetree said:

As for Songkran and water splashing, its a stupid unnecessary activity that deserves to be banned, unless at lakes, parks, pools  and the sea side. 

It's a holiday and a time for "THAI" to travel home unwind and let their hair down and get loose,and  we are just invited to come along for the ride. I have enjoyed it for over 30 years and still love it to this day. If I don't want to get wet then I will stay home or travel in my car, but this is also a time for "me" to relax and forget about my normal duties for what I do, and no I am not retired or sitting on my behind everyday with nothing to do. And for that matter my wife gets to close her restaurant and relax too. This year we didn't go to the temple as I am just recovering from Covid, but I don't think the water festival if allowed would have much of a difference on the coivid spread becasue it is already in high spread gear and will increase from the travel just alone.

We all have our opinions and feelings, but Sorngkran is one of them I truly will always love. You can never be too old, but an old fuddy duddy mind of thinking will never be happy wiht most things.

BTW, just curious. What Thai Holidays or holidays in general do you like and approve of? 

I always look forward to Sornkran as it is one of the Greatest Holidays in the history throughtout the world. 

13 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

It's a holiday and a time for "THAI" to travel home unwind and let their hair down and get loose,and  we are just invited to come along for the ride.

I Really hope you don’t mean that! I definitely don’t want to be one of the Songkran statistics of those that went for a ride over the 7 days of Songkran 😉

27 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

BTW, just curious. What Thai Holidays or holidays in general do you like and approve of? 

I don't care about any of them as they don t impinge on me in the slightest.  But I do dislike Songkran as that does try to impinge on me. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

I Really hope you don’t mean that! I definitely don’t want to be one of the Songkran statistics of those that went for a ride over the 7 days of Songkran 😉

Well you certainly don't want to be taken for a ride in many more ways than one here in Disneyland.

Let me rephrase it.

A beautiful stunning Thai girl invites you to take a ride with her. Do you:

A. Slap and pinch yourself to see if you are dreaming.

B. Tell, well yes, but I get car sick can we walk?

C. Or say I'm on top first.

Hope your Sorngkron was a good one! 🤠

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

I don't care about any of them as they don t impinge on me in the slightest.  But I do dislike Songkran as that does try to impinge on me. 

Fair enough, so you just need to prepare wide in advance before it comes and hole up at your place until when later in the nightime when you won't be bothered and can go out. This year I had covid, been in quarantine for last 9 days and just yesterday and today tested negative so missed it. But as of today I am free.

Last year and the year before was Covid shut down, so for me and the family was sad. We all hope next year we can really be normal and have fun for Sorngkran. I also normally have friends visit from the USA and this makes it all the more fun in CM.

To me Covid impinges on our lives too much, and for me testing positive and having some not really not nice effects impinged more on my life than anything could have thought of doing.

I do understand what your feelings are and where you are coming from as there seem to be many foreingers who post the same as yourself, but on this one we highly differ and there is nothing the Sorngkran festival can ever do that would make me bitter. I love it, and I actually love all the holidays except the ones that are no sell alcohol ones, but even then I prepare and drink at home..

Cheers to you, today is the last day so you can go back and do what you do.