News Forum - Covid test confusion ruins UK family holiday to Thailand

Thaiger

An email with another sad outcome from possible risks, albeit small, that individuals and families face returning to Thailand at this time. The Thaiger receives at least a few of these sad stories every week. Names of individuals and locations been changed or withheld on the request of the author. My name is Pete Passport. I am a journalist and travel writer from the UK. I have travelled to Thailand many times since the 1980s, and love the country and the culture. But I have just had a disturbing experience in my latest visit with my wife and son, as part […]

The story Covid test confusion ruins UK family holiday to Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 1
  • Angry 2

Sue the thai goverment or TAT in England, and then the court would freeze any thai assets in there and pay whatever u lost cos of their scams.... actually, they were betting to slam u with all kinda quarantine expenses.. u did good thing that u returned bk home and tested ur son again to prove their trickaries...u r not the only family tests false negative.... this scam been going on for sometime by now and this is what kept most tourists from adventuring there.

• Like 8

Sorry to hear, but 10 hours before departure, that is about 1 day befor arrival.

And it is absolutely possible, to get tested negative the one, but tested positive the next day.

Ask the british politicians.

Of course, it can be that a mistake did get to that result. But on the other hand, this was widely reported in the medias. And as "at risk of infection" people, the parents can't really complain about the hispital holiday.

I would assume, that at least a journalist (?) would have checked on all possible outcomes. Before deciding to write a story and bringing his family in to it 

Beware: the following questions are all rhetorical (unless somebody in charge reads them and cares to reply):

1. Why would a hospital stay be advised if there is no reasonable expectation that medical care will be required?
  2. Why wasn't the positive ATK result followed up by a PCR-test? (if not by default, at least on request)
  3. Why would the original hotel not be suitable for isolation despite being certified as a quarantine hotel?
  4. Why would an infected (presumed anyway) guest be charged twice as much for a room?

Even though I'm all for having the option to leave the country as an alternative to the (mandatory) recommendations, the apparent ease of being offered that option (as opposed to e.g. being offered a PCR-confirmation/rejection) shows a level of hypocrisy and selfishness that I find embarrassing on behalf of those that make up or implement the rules.

• Like 8

As I always say......Unless all the restriction on the "Test & Go"is completely scrapped including Thai pass, it is not advisable to visit Thailand. Once in Thailand the tourists are lame duck. Really feel sorry for the family. This incident is going to cause ripple effect among all those who have planned to visit under the "Test & Go" scheme. Thailand is always there. It is better to wait for a safe and comfortable passage to enter the country instead of rushing now and get trapped in the system.

• Like 7

Just don't come unless you're a returning expat, if you're after a torrid tropical vacay try the Phillipines, they really ARE open for business.  

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Chatogaster said:

Beware: the following questions are all rhetorical (unless somebody in charge reads them and cares to reply):

1. Why would a hospital stay be advised if there is no reasonable expectation that medical care will be required?
  2. Why wasn't the positive ATK result followed up by a PCR-test? (if not by default, at least on request)
  3. Why would the original hotel not be suitable for isolation despite being certified as a quarantine hotel?
  4. Why would an infected (presumed anyway) guest be charged twice as much for a room?

Even though I'm all for having the option to leave the country as an alternative to the (mandatory) recommendations, the apparent ease of being offered that option (as opposed to e.g. being offered a PCR-confirmation/rejection) shows a level of hypocrisy and selfishness that I find embarrassing on behalf of those that make up or implement the rules.

Anyone recovered from Covid is highly likely to return a positive test up to three months after recovering. (Source: It is my job as a state-sponsored pandemic advisor to know this.)

Where does that leave them under this unscientific authoritarian clown show?

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Chatogaster said:

Answer to Question 1-4: Because TiT!

• Like 1

You have to love this forum

Someone selfishly hops on a plane after his son has tested positive 

And all the miserable sods on here skip over that huge fact to whine about Thailand 

This guy is an absolute <deleted>

Edited by KaptainRob
Derogatory slang removed
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Zorba_the_Geek said:

Anyone recovered from Covid is highly likely to return a positive test up to three months after recovering. (Source: It is my job as a state-sponsored pandemic advisor to know this.)

Where does that leave them under this unscientific authoritarian clown show?

True. In addition, ATK has a false positivity rate (Source: Google) of 3-5%, <1%, ~0.05% or 0% (only in Thailand ;-) depending on the quality of the test and its execution.

As for your question: it leaves them in London (at least in transit) and  a state of being pissed-off (rightfully so).

25 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

Answer to Question 1-4: Because TiT!

Thanks for the answer, but a "rhetorical question" = "a question to which the asker does not expect an answer". What does "TiT" mean? "This is Thailand" perhaps? If so, OK.

PCR tests were never designed to test for covid. Just ask the scientist who developed the test although actually this information is already widely disseminated on the internet. . Moreover it depends on how many times the test is cycled. Cycle it enough times and you WILL test positive. My daughter took a PCR test in Bangkok in preparation for flying to the USA. She tested positive. In a panic she took another one the next day which tested negative. If her flight hadn’t have been late in the evening she would have missed it. PCR tests are NOT reliable and nobody should risk losing an expensive holiday to Thailand in the hope that they test negative on arrival.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Always annoying to see the arrogance of some western guys.

The Uk did so many tings wrong about the pandemic. In the UK 6 times more people died of Corona than in Thailand. But people from UK are still talking about TiT, scam etc.

And by the way: The FFP3 mask the son used in the airplane has a valve. That means, that the breath of the son wasn’t filtered in any way. People who use that in an airplane when thinking that they are infected are a……. Sorry! 

• Like 3
  • Angry 1

14 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Someone selfishly hops on a plane after his son has tested positive 

You might want to re-read the article.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

An email with another sad outcome from possible risks, albeit small, that individuals and families face returning to Thailand at this time. The Thaiger receives at least a few of these sad stories every week. Names of individuals and locations been changed or withheld on the request of the author. My name is Pete Passport. I am a journalist and travel writer from the UK. I have travelled to Thailand many times since the 1980s, and love the country and the culture. But I have just had a disturbing experience in my latest visit with my wife and son, as part […]

The story Covid test confusion ruins UK family holiday to Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

The covid-19  insurance is the biggest scam and should be dropped. As detailed in another thread last week i tested positive on arrival 3 weeks and was symptomatic by the time i got the result.

I was admitted to hospital only after giving them a  credit card deposit of 150,000 baht.

My bill after was 66,000 out of which the insurance company paid only 12,000 baht

More should be done especially by the likes of this Thaiger news site to highlight this if not a total scam at the very least an entry tax.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Chatogaster said:

What does "TiT" mean? "This is Thailand" perhaps? If so, OK.

Imho the only answer to ANY  (rhetorical) question in Thailand, that starts with "Why"!: 

This is Thailand!

🙊

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Read the full story

Perfectly Illustrates why not to come here or do a visa run from here until ALL this is Gone. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

You have to love this forum

Some absolute asshole selfishly hops on a plane after his son has tested positive 

And all the miserable sods on here skip over that huge fact to whine about Thailand 

This guy is an absolute scumbag

The poster behind this article did indeed take a risk, but it was a) mindful, b) minimalized and c) the skepticism that sourced taking the risk was immediately proved warranted upon arriving (negative PCR-result). When comparing people who mindlessly follow doctrine and people who can think and competently determine risks, the (e)valuation should be clear. It doesn't always happen this way, but if all individuals - without exception - are to be treated as sheep that don't know better, they're better of at a slaughter house.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

He/she/it/they referred to the return flight out of Thailand, so the point is (somewhat) valid.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chatogaster said:

He/she/it/they referred to the return flight out of Thailand, so the point is (somewhat) valid.

M26's post is somewhat ambiguous in that regard.  However, the statement was made that Tim wore a mask and was isolated from others.  I'd have done the same knowing we'd all tested -ve some 24hrs earlier and faced with draconian options.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

M26's post is somewhat ambiguous in that regard.  However, the statement was made that Tim wore a mask and was isolated from others.  I'd have done the same knowing we'd all tested -ve some 24hrs earlier and faced with draconian options.

I agree (given the same circumstances, I'd have done the same too)

Which is exactly why I have been putting off going there for the last eight months. 

I could quarantine in my house there but no I would have jump through all sorts of hoops if testing positive. 

Why play Russian roulette when I am perfectly free to go anywhere in the UK? 

13 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

His son had tested positive and he put him on a plane

He is an absolute selfish <deleted> ......

Edited by KaptainRob
Derogatory slang removed
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Angry 1