News Forum - Time to say goodbye to Test & Go and the Thailand Pass?

Thaiger

2 hours ago, Cg66 said:

And 3 months extension? My functioning memory recalls how storage and expiry dates were initially sold to us as so crucial. Remember how millions of unused doses were previously dumped? Expensive mistake if extension isn’t a problem!

B40065E8-0879-4C6B-AC31-BD6A938EBDEA.png

Well given these are new vaccines and in massive demand on a global scale, it’s of no surprise that they will push the envelope and look to see if expiry dates can be relaxed. I’m not sure why you think this is some unusual and suspect issue? 

7 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Well given these are new vaccines and in massive demand on a global scale, it’s of no surprise that they will push the envelope and look to see if expiry dates can be relaxed. I’m not sure why you think this is some unusual and suspect issue? 

They are not vaccines and the massive demand is only caused by corrupt governments trying to mandate them at the behest of the pharmaceutical industry, who you may have noticed are doing quite nicely out of this. There was no massive demand in South Africa, which at the time had a vaccination rate of 23% and 7% in Africa in general, so they did not renew contracts for new orders with Pfizer. On reporting the new variant omicron however the whole country’s  tourist industry was ruined by the total overreaction, shutting down all flights, despite the all signs were that it was a very weak version. This happened within three days of not renewing the contracts. When you research the history of both Pfizer and the rest of the pharmaceutical industry, what you find is not good. Billions paid out in compensation, court costs and fines. Not surprising then, with the truth slipping out slowly of adverse reactions and deaths, that Pfizer wanted 75 years to produce their research papers. It’s easier to fool someone than to get them to admit they’ve been fooled.

8 minutes ago, Cg66 said:

They are not vaccines and the massive demand is only caused by corrupt governments trying to mandate them at the behest of the pharmaceutical industry, who you may have noticed are doing quite nicely out of this. There was no massive demand in South Africa, which at the time had a vaccination rate of 23% and 7% in Africa in general, so they did not renew contracts for new orders with Pfizer. On reporting the new variant omicron however the whole country’s  tourist industry was ruined by the total overreaction, shutting down all flights, despite the all signs were that it was a very weak version. This happened within three days of not renewing the contracts. When you research the history of both Pfizer and the rest of the pharmaceutical industry, what you find is not good. Billions paid out in compensation, court costs and fines. Not surprising then, with the truth slipping out slowly of adverse reactions and deaths, that Pfizer wanted 75 years to produce their research papers. It’s easier to fool someone than to get them to admit they’ve been fooled.

Sorry but I’m afraid I can’t agree with 95% of what you state. It’s true the Pharmaceutical industry makes good profits. Given the importance to humanity, it’s not surprising. They are commercial businesses who’s only aim is to makes its shareholders richer. Many companies do the same. It’s called Capitalism.

As most, if not all of the work by the Pharma companies is cutting edge developments used on a global scale, it’s not surprising some mistakes will happen and some people will have adverse and even fatal reactions. It’s about risk management of the virus and the vaccine. I’m not sure why you say they are not vaccines? They have literally cut the death rate by 80%-90%. I’d call that a vaccine. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, WR2 said:

Not coming back until the threat of being taken hostage for 2 weeks due to unreliable tests is removed.

Are you always a drama queen?   

Don't come.  It is brilliant here with reduced numbers.

1 hour ago, Chaimai said:

Don't come.  It is brilliant here with reduced numbers.

Said the Director of the Tourism Authority of Thailand 😉

Oh, and the Finance Minister 😬

Jokes aside, I do agree. In some ways it takes me back to the early 90’s before mass tourism kicked in and the Chinese and Russians weren’t around.

If the 20% loss of GDP for two years and the mishandling of the economy for the past 8 years could just start to affect the value of the baht, it would be even better.

I disagree to  "taken hostage for 2 weeks due to unreliable tests".  Test via ATK or PCR done in Thailand will not differ from test done anywhere.  So unreliable had never been a thought in my mind all along.  I am more concern of vested interest in the present arrangement 1st day stay and the hospital testing.  It just take one or two black sheep to take advantage of it.   Anyone able to answer whether we can dispute the result and take a 2nd independent test in the current arrangement?  Removing the 1st day and changing it to a ATK at the airport or any authorized clinic detaching away from the hotel removed any potential vested interest.

If you are afraid of being tested positive, take a Pre-departure test or self administered test before departure.  If it is negative, very high chance it will be if there is no vested interest e.g. tested at airport regardless of which hotel you are staying.

On 4/14/2022 at 12:17 PM, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

No chance that they give up the mandatory insurance scheme and subsequent verification using the Thailand Pass. This proposal doesn't change anything. And in the meantime, thousands of Thais are packing onto planes, trains and automobiles with no restrictions. 

Coming up on good weather months in the West and then the holidays. As each week goes by, fewer and fewer tourists will have the time available to take a marginal trip to Thailand. 

Maybe that’s true but many other countries in Asia require insurance to get in. Malaysia, Singapore , Vietnam and Indonesia currently require it.Singapore and Malaysia also require online application and submission of documents prior to travel. Personally I will take any reduction in requirements to get in as a good thing

Edited by Stevejm

On 4/14/2022 at 1:11 PM, DwizzleyMatthews said:

Wonder if this means the 1st and 2nd vaccinations only or are boosters also required if over 6 months since the original 2 ??

Some countries are applying that requirement specifically Vietnam and many European countries so I wouldn’t be surprised 

6 hours ago, Soidog said:

Said the Director of the Tourism Authority of Thailand 😉

Oh, and the Finance Minister 😬

Jokes aside, I do agree. In some ways it takes me back to the early 90’s before mass tourism kicked in and the Chinese and Russians weren’t around.

If the 20% loss of GDP for two years and the mishandling of the economy for the past 8 years could just start to affect the value of the baht, it would be even better.

I agree that it was a different, quieter place in the early 90s ( almost Wild West like)but what have you got against Chinese and Russians🤔

23 hours ago, JohnC said:

I had to fly into Germany yesterday from the UK and didn't have to show anything apart from my passport,  just like in the good old days of pre covid. 

Thailand really needs to get to this stage within the next six months at the least in order for tourists to plan trips for the next high season. 

I agree, but they have to do it sooner - most people book their travel well in advance because they have to arrange time off work, kennels for pets, etc etc

So IMO they need to be to pre covid at least 6 months before the next high season because people need certainty before they book, so they pretty much need to pull the trigger on it in May to be clear for November, if they wait until 1 July they'll be taking a big bite out of the coming high season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Politenessman said:

I agree, but they have to do it sooner - most people book their travel well in advance because they have to arrange time off work, kennels for pets, etc etc

So IMO they need to be to pre covid at least 6 months before the next high season because people need certainty before they book, so they pretty much need to pull the trigger on it in May to be clear for November, if they wait until 1 July they'll be taking a big bite out of the coming high season.

Yes I can't disagree that the earlier Thailand get to that stage the better for everyone. 

Individual circumstances will vary.

Personally I've been waiting that long to come back I've got a flight in reserve and my annual leave pencilled in so even if they don't get to the pre covid stage until the beginning of October I'll be able to get there two weeks later if needs be.

Fingers crossed for everyone wanting to go and the Thais wanting the tourists money they are back to normal by the start of the high season.

Europe is pretty much back to normal now, think America is too, so hopefully the rest of the world will not be far behind 

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Yes I can't disagree that the earlier Thailand get to that stage the better for everyone. 

Individual circumstances will vary.

Personally I've been waiting that long to come back I've got a flight in reserve and my annual leave pencilled in so even if they don't get to the pre covid stage until the beginning of October I'll be able to get there two weeks later if needs be.

Fingers crossed for everyone wanting to go and the Thais wanting the tourists money they are back to normal by the start of the high season.

Europe is pretty much back to normal now, think America is too, so hopefully the rest of the world will not be far behind 

Yes. Some friends of mine are coming to Thailand next month and they bought tickets in February. I advised them to plan for the worst but hope for the best and not to spend money too early on things like insurance and test and go hotel as it is likely that requirements will be relaxed by the time they travel. If T and  G and TP are dropped by the 1st May they will be very happy having locked in their super cheap flights without having wasted money meeting requirements that have been superceded.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Australia drops the pre arrival testing on the 18th April 

12 hours ago, Stevejm said:

Yes. Some friends of mine are coming to Thailand next month and they bought tickets in February. I advised them to plan for the worst but hope for the best and not to spend money too early on things like insurance and test and go hotel as it is likely that requirements will be relaxed by the time they travel. If T and  G and TP are dropped by the 1st May they will be very happy having locked in their super cheap flights without having wasted money meeting requirements that have been superceded.

I am arriving in mid May, so I am hoping for the same. 

If I didn't have my girlfriend in Thailand I would not be travelling there until all the Test and Go requirements have been dropped, but it's been over two years since we have seen each other.

Flights are paid for but I wont be booking anything else until early May.

I also hope that Thailand will now see the signs of the times and eliminate the Thailand Passport bullshit and testing.

But...I have to say that I flew to Thailand around February and apart from the first annoying 5 days in Bangkok (Test&Go), it was one of the most pleasant trips I have ever had. Even in Bangkok at the tourist attraction was calm! No crowds of tourists. And general, I found Bangkok to be extremely quiet.

Not to mention my road trip from Hat Yai back to Bangkok. Completely empty beaches, no bad behaving farangs anywhere.

That was really fantastic and probably comparable to Thailand from 30 years ago.

It's just stupid that I unfortunately came back home with dengue fever. But this is another story...😅

imo, the Thailand Pass in some format will stay -  bureaucracy rarely creates a piece of paper or form that they don’t embrace and defend like a new born baby. And the insurance requirements means more money so that isn’t going anywhere.

On 4/14/2022 at 10:45 PM, Soidog said:

Sorry but I’m afraid I can’t agree with 95% of what you state. It’s true the Pharmaceutical industry makes good profits. Given the importance to humanity, it’s not surprising. They are commercial businesses who’s only aim is to makes its shareholders richer. Many companies do the same. It’s called Capitalism.

As most, if not all of the work by the Pharma companies is cutting edge developments used on a global scale, it’s not surprising some mistakes will happen and some people will have adverse and even fatal reactions. It’s about risk management of the virus and the vaccine. I’m not sure why you say they are not vaccines? They have literally cut the death rate by 80%-90%. I’d call that a vaccine. 

I agree with you. I wonder if @Cg66 has been vaccinated himself? I don’t know what sources of information he has but it sounds like the kind of antivaxxer bs that is contributing to the prolongation of the pandemic and putting pressure on healthcare systems . I suppose he thinks that polio vaccine doesn’t work too🤔. I know many people who have been infected all of whom had been triple jabbed and all survived without requiring hospital treatment. Coincidence? I think not!.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Fanta said:

imo, the Thailand Pass in some format will stay -  bureaucracy rarely creates a piece of paper or form that they don’t embrace and defend like a new born baby. And the insurance requirements means more money so that isn’t going anywhere.

Ending TP is on the plan out of Covid so I think it will go. The government doesn’t make money out of insurance and you don’t even need to use Thai insurance companies so I don’t understand your comment about money from insurance.

12 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

Ending TP is on the plan out of Covid so I think it will go. The government doesn’t make money out of insurance and you don’t even need to use Thai insurance companies so I don’t understand your comment about money from insurance.

You don’t need to use Thai insurance companies but some will choose to. And if every foreigner that comes to Thailand has medical insurance then there is far less risk of the Thai economy having to pay for medical bills that the foreigners cannot, or will not, pay. A penny saved is a penny earned. 

On 4/14/2022 at 10:31 PM, Cg66 said:

I understand that South Africa’s low vaccination rate was mainly due to fake news causing hesitation amongst the population probably caused by people like you!

13 hours ago, Politenessman said:

Australia drops the pre arrival testing on the 18th April 

The circus must go on though state by state, it's an election year you know. You will choose your brand of nonsense on arrival. Hint - you'll want to arrive in SYD or MEL.