News Forum - 8 year old driving motorcycle dies in accident

Thaiger

An 8 year old boy was driving a motorcycle with a sidecar attached to it when he lost control and flipped over at around 10:30am this morning in Chanthaburi province in eastern Thailand. The vehicle fell back down on top of him and crushed him. He hit his head off the concrete road and sadly died from his injuries at the scene. The young boy had driven the blue Honda wave and attached sidecar for a distance of around 100 metres from his home to a gas station in Kaeng Hang Maeo District. After filling up the motorcycle with petrol, […]

The story 8 year old driving motorcycle dies in accident as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I hope the parents will be reminded of this every waking minute of every day and for the rest of their irresponsible life’s. 

• Like 8

Sad that a youngin died. I bet the motorbike was not up to par and had some brake and other issues for where the real problem came from. Wobbly wheels etc. The area looks pretty rural and only 100 meters from the home is where he went to, so for me this is not so big of a thing except that the poor kid had an accident with the bad luck of being flipped and crushed. We keep our vehicles here in tip top and fix them immediatley if anything is off.

On another note, this is sort of how we grew up in the USA as in going wild on motorcylces or bicyles and even driving cars before we had licenses, to even getting crazy enough to jump on horses and cows and get bucked off.

Again sorry the boy died, but I can see how this is fun for kids here in rural areas and this is just a freak of an unfortunate accident. Yes, the parents will have to live with it and this is a shame as well.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Sad that a youngin died. I bet the motorbike was not up to par and had some brake and other issues for where the real problem came from. Wobbly wheels etc. The area looks pretty rural and only 100 meters from the home is where he went to, so for me this is not so big of a thing except that the poor kid had an accident with the bad luck of being flipped and crushed. We keep our vehicles here in tip top and fix them immediatley if anything is off.

On another note, this is sort of how we grew up in the USA as in going wild on motorcylces or bicyles and even driving cars before we had licenses, to even getting crazy enough to jump on horses and cows and get bucked off.

Again sorry the boy died, but I can see how this is fun for kids here in rural areas and this is just a freak of an unfortunate accident. Yes, the parents will have to live with it and this is a shame as well.

Such young  kids riding  all qualities and capacities of  motorcycles is an everyday event  around here. Often in flagrant disregard of RTP members who develop  momentary blindness  only to be compelled some time later to attend accidents involving same !

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Convert54 said:

Such young  kids riding  all qualities and capacities of  motorcycles is an everyday event  around here. Often in flagrant disregard of RTP members who develop  momentary blindness  only to be compelled some time later to attend accidents involving same !

Yes, kids in school uniforms were never stopped riding before or after school is one of the blind eyes.

2 hours ago, Convert54 said:

Often in flagrant disregard of RTP members who develop  momentary blindness 

Another wrong statement here about the Thai Police ….. it is a prerequisite to join the Thai Police that they are already blind in one eye, amongst many other attributes they have to have (like knowing the colour of particular envelopes) …. Less time required to be spent on training 😉.  

It may also be that all the Thai Police in that area were out at check points testing for drunk drivers and handing out on the spot fines.

• Cool 1

If the parents don't care that an underage child is riding a motorbike, why should the police care.

Thais think they are above the law. They do what and when they want to do. 

"It's up to me."

• Like 3

10 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Yes, kids in school uniforms were never stopped riding before or after school is one of the blind eyes.

There is also the personal safety of the children to consider. imo, a schoolgirl is safer riding a bike home rather than walking from school. The same can be said for children riding a scooter to the shop instead of walking. It is a sad fact that children go missing in every country. If it was up to me I’d implant a GPS tracking device in my kids from birth. 

1 hour ago, BlueCM said:

The parents should be prosecuted for allowing an 8 year old to use a motorcycle. 

I think they're probably suffering enough without that! kids have to grow up fast in rural communities and its probably something he did frequently without any problems, he probably felt grown up at being able to help his parents out. Kids in Australia in rural areas get taught to ride and drive any number of different vehicles before they're of age. It's a terrible accident!

• Like 2

That kind of stories simply make me mad. 

I have seen underage kids riding any kind of motorbikes or mini-motorcycles everyday since I have been living in Thailand. 

Their older brothers ride tuned 2 wheels that can go 40km/h faster than they are designed for. 

Flip-flops, no helmet on, sometimes 3 or 4 on the same bike.. 

Such a waste of life and promises

Edited by Che

14 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Very true for me and my friends as well, so many near catastrophes.  

This is very sad of course.   Life is not fair and life is not safe and no one gets out alive

• Like 2

This is the biggest problem in all developing countries. Kids cannot differentiate between bicycle and motorcycle. For them it is the art of balancing. But they fail to realize that one is human driven and the other is machine driven. As a result the kids think that the motorcycles are like bicycles when applied brakes and try to control it. But the machine is power driven and it lost control ending up tragic incidences. Who is to be blamed.......it is always the responsibility of the parents to manage and educate their children on the dangers.

6 hours ago, Fanta said:

There is also the personal safety of the children to consider. imo, a schoolgirl is safer riding a bike home rather than walking from school. The same can be said for children riding a scooter to the shop instead of walking. It is a sad fact that children go missing in every country. If it was up to me I’d implant a GPS tracking device in my kids from birth. 

My kids were never even allowed to walk to the mom and pops store down the block by themselves or get home by themselves from high school here in CM where our home was. They were always told of black vans, bad people and abductions. So I truly understand your concern and statement. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ExpatPattaya said:

Very true for me and my friends as well, so many near catastrophes.  

This is very sad of course.   Life is not fair and life is not safe and no one gets out alive

Yeah those were the good ole days in the US. Broke some bones a few trimes. One was being towed behind a motorcyle with a ski rope while on a skateboard. Accidently ran over a manhole cover doing about 30mph, skateboard stuck and I was instantly jerk propelled forward to roll and break the arm. Good ole days.

Sadly so many irresponsible Thai parents allow their children to ride motorcycles unsupervised, with no helmets and no body protection. Many of their parents won’t have a licence and little knowledge of the road rules as well. I’ve seen it and what annoys me is I seldom see or hear of police in rural areas enforcing the rules. 

Sad but true.  This morning I saw three 12 year boys on motorcycles stop in front of my house and each one lit up a cigarette. They thought they looked cool.