News Forum - Thai monk celebrating Songkran passes out drunk, says he didn’t do anything wrong

Thaiger

A Buddhist monk was found passed out on the floor with his private parts on show at his temple after he got drunk to bring in the Thai New Year. The monk, who resides at a temple in the northeastern province of Nakhon Ratchasima, says he didn’t do anything wrong. The 50 year old ex-policeman, who has been ordained as a monk for four years, was found passed out on the balcony of his room with both his bits and his buttocks hanging out of his saffron robes yesterday. A bottle of the Thai rice whisky known as “40 Degree” […]

The story Thai monk celebrating Songkran passes out drunk, says he didn’t do anything wrong as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Well the monk was police before and everybody knows they can not do wrong, just ask the police guy that drove into the eye doctor or "Joe ferrari"

• Like 5

Quote: Refraining from drinking alcohol, or refraining from intoxication of any kind, is one of the 227 rules Buddhist monks in Thailand are expected to follow.

227 rules, but I would bet just the top 10 are enough of a challenge for them to not step over the line and break. 

These are some printed rules for Novice Monks of Budhhism:

Novice Monks
1. Killing
2. Stealing
3. Celibacy
4. Lying
5. Intoxicants
6. Eating after NOON
7. Entertainment
8. Beautification & Adornments
9. High & large beds
10. Using Money

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

Quote: Refraining from drinking alcohol, or refraining from intoxication of any kind, is one of the 227 rules Buddhist monks in Thailand are expected to follow.

227 rules, but I would bet just the top 10 are enough of a challenge for them to not step over the line and break. 

Novice Monks
1. Killing
2. Stealing
3. Celibacy
4. Lying
5. Intoxicants
6. Eating after NOON
7. Entertainment
9. High & large beds
10. Using Money

So they regularly break all of those.  Also add manipulation of poor people,  scamming money and food off them.  Spouting mystic nonsense to uneducated people  ( and also naïve stupid farangs who get caught up in this religious scam)  so that they part with all that they cannot really spare, so that the monks can adorn their temples and alters ( your number 8).  They are a blight on this society  This story does nothing to change that view and is not a surprise. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Novice Monks
1. Killing
2. Stealing
3. Celibacy
4. Lying
5. Intoxicants
6. Eating after NOON
7. Entertainment
9. High & large beds
10. Using Money

This ex-cop isn't a novice monk, he's a professional of four years.
Big difference. The professionals know what they can get away with and often do.

Yes their directions on what should be and shouldn't be are definelty off or can be out of whack, and we can add cell phones to that one as well. But there are some good monks here and it is not every single one is twisted.

Now this guy is an ex-cop who has only been a monk for several years now. My guess is he was fired from the force for something really bad and was left to go become a monk as this seems to be places this type of character heads to and is accepted in. Over the decades I have met some good nice ones and some that gave me the creeps.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Big difference. The professionals know what they can get away with and often do.

Well he may be a bird of a crooked feather lingering together.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

Met a guy in Luang Prabang, ex- professional monk for more than 3 years in Luang Prabang and BKK, who wrote a book about the most venered monk in LPB, and he said "I don't drink alcohol as monk, but I can't refuse if somebody offers me a glass. I never saw him drink, but I never offered him.

when visiting a Budha cave he was even angry with the security, as they allowed candles to be lit close to a shrine and this was harmfull. He said: most people, even Budhists, don't know much about Budha and Budism.

Buddhist monk... catholic priest... jewish rabbi... muslim emir... all men who couldn't make it on their own in the human race and needed a divine guide 

• Like 2