Full reopening guidelines for Phuket and Samui

Thaiger

In a press release, the Tourism Authority of Thailand recently sought to lay out and clarify guidelines for how Thailand’s reopening will begin. The Phuket Sandbox plan rolls out first on July 1, followed by Surat Thani province reopening Koh Samui, Koh Phangan, and Koh Tao on a sealed route July 15. Here’s the current guidelines of what travellers need to do before travelling, how arriving will work, what the restrictions are during your stay, and how to travel on after restricted arrival periods are finished. BEFORE TRAVELLING A Certificate of Entry can be obtained at entrythailand.go.th with the required […]

The post Full reopening guidelines for Phuket and Samui appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

So there is actually a quarantine after all? Stuck in your hotel room awaiting test results. Keeping in mind there are three tests in your 14 night stay. Who decides if it’s a rapid or PCR test? 

36 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

Who decides if it’s a rapid or PCR test? 

Here's a clip from the TAT website, re visiting Phuket and Surat Thani . . .

BEGINNING OF STAY IN THAILAND

Arrival

Undergo Immigration and Customs procedures, and a COVID-19 screening, including RT-PCR tests;

Download and install the alert application;

Go directly to your reserved hotel to await the test results;

Arrivals to Phuket must check-in at the pre-booked SHA Plus-certified accommodation establishment;

Arrivals to Ko Samui must check-in at alternative local quarantine (ALQ) facilities;

If tested negative for COVID-19, travellers to Phuket can go anywhere in Phuket. Travellers to Ko Samui can leave their room for facilities and services within their accommodation only.

It states RT-PCR test, which I understand, means 'real time', so presumably not for sending away for the 3 days of the normal PCR test and pretty rapid, I guess, 'guess' being the operative word, of course.

Hope that helps.

It is really strange. The government makes this sandbox arrangement in order to get tourists to the country, right? And then they make it exactly as troublesome as it was already! Excuse me, but what the heck is going on, here???

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SmukkePeter said:

And then they make it exactly as troublesome as it was already!

Welcome to Thailand! Precious few members I've read posts from that know what's going on, also.

Hello, SmukkePeter and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

18 minutes ago, charliebb1 said:

Can they still be unvaccinated with negative test on arrival?

Clipped from TAT website . . .

Children under 6 years of age are allowed when travelling with fully vaccinated parents or guardians;

Does that help?

Hello, charliebb1and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton 

Question

Is my understanding correct? I cannot leave Phuket for 14 days (unless I take an international flight to another country) but from day 15 onwards I can travel to other parts of Thailand (assuming  I am nCov-19 free). Would I then be able to take a day trip (days 15 onwards) to Phang Nga Bay returning to Phuket same day?

By the way I saw on another post the suggestion that RT-PCR tests mean "Real Time". I believe RT in this case refers to "Reverse Transcriptase" rather than Real Time. Depending on the location of laboratories and other factors RT-PCR test results may be available in as little as 8-10 hours but could take longer.

• Like 1

Thanks King Cotton for the welcome

the TAT initial information posted by them on 15 June also included the following:-

“Applicable for children between 6 and 18 years of age travelling with fully vaccinated parents or guardians, but they are required to take a COVID-19 test upon arrival at their own expense.”

https://www.tatnews.org/2021/06/initial-information-phuket-sandbox/

This appears to have been removed which makes a huge difference for families who were planning to travel.

Have I missed something? Thanks 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, charliebb1 said:

Children 6-18 don't seem to figure in the latest guidance.
Can they still be unvaccinated with negative test on arrival?

From the way it sounds, children 6 and under can travel with vaccinated parents but they must be covered by covid insurance, so does this mean children over 6 must be vaccinated and have insurance. No one in their right mind will be bringing children to holiday in Thailand. 

I don't think many tourists will want to holiday in Thailand under these conditions. I'm waiting for the rules to come out for the opening of the country. I can return as I have Thai wife and son but vaccinating young kids is currently a heavily debated subject, we can get Pfizer here in NZ before travel but most don't want to vaccinate young kids, especially with the AZ. Then more problems for those that are only going short stay as they will have to pay up for quarantine about 4k each in NZ. 

9 minutes ago, charliebb1 said:

" . . . Applicable for children between 6 and 18 years . . . "

Yes, sorry for my unhelpful 'under 6' clip, earlier.

Re you saying that the 6 to 18 stipulation has been removed since that web-link, I can't find anything further in that regard . . . sorry!

15 minutes ago, Kiwikeith said:

Then more problems for those that are only going short stay

Yeah . . . problems and more problems, the word that has sadly become the hallmark of the present powers-that-be. Other than what is to be found on TAT's website, I cannot advise you further, sorry.

Hello, Kiwikeith and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Happy posting

King Cotton

24 minutes ago, Kiwikeith said:

From the way it sounds, children 6 and under can travel with vaccinated parents but they must be covered by covid insurance, so does this mean children over 6 must be vaccinated and have insurance. No one in their right mind will be bringing children to holiday in Thailand. 

I don't think many tourists will want to holiday in Thailand under these conditions. I'm waiting for the rules to come out for the opening of the country. I can return as I have Thai wife and son but vaccinating young kids is currently a heavily debated subject, we can get Pfizer here in NZ before travel but most don't want to vaccinate young kids, especially with the AZ. Then more problems for those that are only going short stay as they will have to pay up for quarantine about 4k each in NZ. 

Welcome to Thaiger Keith.  No doubt you'll tell us more in an Intro but I assume you may wishing to return for a visit with inlaws.  The requirements both ends make it nigh on impossible for families with young ones.  Especially this end with rules changing daily even before opening.  Imagine the chaos and extra costs if a full lockdown occurred toward end of the 14 days.

Will the taxArdernist even let you out?  ;)

• Haha 1

How is it? If I live in Poland near German border and I want to start my trip from Berlin Airport (as it is the nearest my international airport) I wouldn't be allowed to do that as I am not staying 21 days in Germany. Or this 21 days period apply to European Union as a whole? 

Stan

• Like 1

one PCR test before flight, 3 in Phuket and one more at leaving Thailand,

which tourist will burn 20.000 baht for nothing ???

if Thailand wants tourists for economy than they should pay for testings !!!

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

@Stan

do you really belive that thai government can understand european union,

stay 21 days in Berlin before

or go to Spain

• Cool 1

50 minutes ago, Stan said:

Or this 21 days period apply to European Union as a whole? 

I recall the TAT website guidelines stating 'country', so that would cause you some grief. Double-check on there, though, just in case my old lamps are failing.

Hello, Stan and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Happy posting

King Cotton

24 minutes ago, satpete said:

if Thailand wants tourists for economy than they should pay for testings !!!

Fair point . . . it's a crazy situation as it stands.

Hello, satpete and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Happy posting

King Cotton

The way things are going, I'd rather go for a full quarantine in Bangkok and pull a Martin Sheen a la Apocalypse Now. It'll end up being cheaper and less of a headache.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hello everyone,

I got a question. If I fly from Thailand to Germany to get my vaccine (Johnson and Johnson) then wait 2 weeks (after the injection) am I allowed to use the sandbox quarantine ? It is stated that I should be three weeks in low risk country but does Thailand itself count in it as well ? 

*I am Thai/German and have both Citizenships 

thanks in advance for your response and stay safe everyone.

Mickey

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mickey said:

but does Thailand itself count in it as well ? 

As the TAT website guidelines currently stand, you must be 21 days in departure country before travel to Phuket. The site is subject to change, though, so a Google-dip would be advisable.

Hello, Mickey and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Happy posting

King Cotton

11 hours ago, Stan said:

How is it? If I live in Poland near German border and I want to start my trip from Berlin Airport (as it is the nearest my international airport) I wouldn't be allowed to do that as I am not staying 21 days in Germany. Or this 21 days period apply to European Union as a whole? 

Stan

I do not believe they have imagined that people could fly from different country than the one they residences in. And with Schengen being a "free travel" zone there'll be no stamps or anything  proven the day of entry  (if they wouldn't believe you're living in Germany) ,

I have said it many times before, as a true tourist, there are other places to travel too and enjoy your holiday at because don't believe for a second that Phuket, or Thailand as a whole, is the "tourist - beach - beer" loving place it once was. No it is closed  [per-se] and if you once thought the tourist areas were dirty, with shedload of tourists and sellers not flocking the streets, you're up for a surprise! 

• Cool 1

Hmmm!  I guess the real test will be how many full (or empty) planes turn up in July. 

What I don't see in the latest regs is the "braclet".  That was going to be a deal breaker, just the thought of being treated like a prisoner on home release. Has it gone?  Is it going to reappear on arrival with a brochure setting out the "list of punishments"?

Not looking very promising to be honest.

• Cool 2

Is is possible to take a transit flight to Phuket from Bangkok ? 
My country did not have direct flight until 1 August. 

Thanks

• Like 1