News Forum - Drunk driving claims 70% of traffic violations at start of Songkran’s ‘7 Dangerous Days’

Thaiger

The Department of Probation is releasing its statistics for driving probations ordered by the court during the Seven Dangerous Days of Songkran from April 11 – 17. On Monday, the court issued 459 probations, 328 of which were for drunk driving cases. The top three provinces with the most drunk drivers were Nonthaburi, Ubon Ratchathani and Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya. Thailand’s “Seven Dangerous Days of Songkran” road-safety campaign encourages drivers who travel during the Thai New Year to be careful and avoid traffic accidents. The authorities are enforcing strict measures and setting up checkpoints all over the country to monitor […]

The story Drunk driving claims 70% of traffic violations at start of Songkran’s ‘7 Dangerous Days’ as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

All well and good but statistics released in recent years have shown that there were more drunk pedestrians than vehicle drivers. So where are these people being tested? My guess is that they will not be tested, recorded and convicted which means they can carry on causing accidents because the system does not cover them.

They missed my neighbour, tried to ride his bike 300 metres to shop to buy more whiskey, fell off his bike.

Went to help take his bike 20 metres back home and then helped him, he couldn't walk 1 metre.

Totally paraletic at 8:00 am 

• Haha 1

Let's ban the sale of alcohol for certain hours during the day... as it is certainly the fault of the alcohol that these people are drunk and reckless... oh wait... we already do that.

16 hours ago, Thaiger said:

8 cases of reckless driving.

I drove from Chumphon to Bangkok yesterday, I think I came across 8 cases every minute, it seems to be a racing game. Everyone wants to drive in the VIP rightmost lane, so overtaking is done in the left most lane🙄, brake neck speed of course, who wants to be seen in the left loser lane? If you happen to overtake a Fortuneeer, God forbid, prepare yourself for aggressive tailgating retaliation.

Just cancel the driving permits and license of those who are drinking and driving. Deprive them having any new license for next 5 years. Maximize the penalty for driving without a valid license and permit.....strict enforcement is the only way to control such incidences.